Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Filter versus comprehension (was Re: something about split()???)

Filter versus comprehension (was Re: something about split()???)

Ned Deily

In article <k18uat$9ns$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Emile van Sebille <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/24/2012 3:03 PM Terry Reedy said...
> > Python lists are available on the free gmane mail-to-news server.

> I'm getting high load related denials with the gmane connections a lot
> recently so I'm open to alternatives.

The high load denials should be a thing of the past as the gmane NNTP
server was very recently upgraded to use SSDs instead of standard disks.

--
Ned Deily,

Ned Deily

In article <k18v53$hgs$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I don't think the core-mentorship list is available on gmane. Have I
> missed it, has nobody asked for it to go on there or what?

core-mentorship is a closed list so it would not be appropriate for it
to be mirrored anywhere.

Ned Deily,
(E-Mail Removed)

Walter Hurry

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:56:47 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 19:03:51 +0000 (UTC), Walter Hurry
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>

>> Google Groups sucks. These are computer literate people here. Why don't
>> they just use a proper newsreader?

> Probably because their ISP doesn't offer a free server <G>

There are plenty of free Usenet providers.

David Robinow

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Walter Hurry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:29:00 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>> It appears to be a change Google made in the last month or two... My
>> hypothesis is that they are replacing hard EOL found in inbound NNTP
>> with an HTML <p>, and then on outgoing replacing the <p> with a pair of
>> NNTP line endings. In contrast, text composed on Google is coming in as
>> long single lines (since quoting said text in a response produces on a
>> ">" at the start of the paragraph.

> Google Groups sucks. These are computer literate people here. Why don't
> they just use a proper newsreader?

I haven't used a newsreader in over a decade. I'm quite happy with a
mailing list. Am I missing something?

Tim Golden

On 25/08/2012 13:57, David Robinow wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Walter Hurry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:29:00 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>>
>>> It appears to be a change Google made in the last month or two... My
>>> hypothesis is that they are replacing hard EOL found in inbound NNTP
>>> with an HTML <p>, and then on outgoing replacing the <p> with a pair of
>>> NNTP line endings. In contrast, text composed on Google is coming in as
>>> long single lines (since quoting said text in a response produces on a
>>> ">" at the start of the paragraph.

>> Google Groups sucks. These are computer literate people here. Why don't
>> they just use a proper newsreader?

> I haven't used a newsreader in over a decade. I'm quite happy with a
> mailing list. Am I missing something?

Not really. I'm the same; it just means you can skip over the occasional
ggroups-newsreader discussion threads which pop up
about 3 times a year on average.

TJG