Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] On The Road is up /COMMENTS

Re: [SI] On The Road is up /COMMENTS

Doug McDonald

On 8/26/2012 7:07 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

> As I said, it's a hard nut to crack. But you might try this as a starting
> point:
> http://www.pmc.org/articles.asp?Arti...4&Tab=Calendar

I read that piece. I have NO IDEA what is going on. I have no idea
who is right, who is wrong, and who is misleading.

I merely read the piece carefully to see if there was a loophole
in the spin (if indeed that's what it is).

And indeed there is a big glaring set of weasel words
about how funds are dispersed. Can you find it? If you can ...
do you know the "overall" number?

Doug McDonald

tony cooper

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:30:15 -0400, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bottom line is that unless you work for the PMC and actually handle
>the funds you don't really know. But this organization has been
>scrutinized so often and so much I have to believe it's above board.
>The money goes to the Jimmy Fund, directly. Rider pay to ride, and the
>accounting is kept separate, and is audited annually by a third party.
>I guess I trust them more than I trust any religious organization.

That is not a particularly strong endorsement of trust.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 8/26/2012 8:07 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 16:30:03 -0400, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:33:58 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> : >On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:53:00 -0400, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : >: On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:22:00 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : >:
> : >: >Bowser 1
> : >: >Yeah. it's on the road, but a trifle boring. Didn't the Pan-Mass get
> : >: >discredited a few years ago, when the ringleader was accused of
> : >: >profiteering and self-promotion?
> : >:
> : >: Uh...no. Nothing like that has ever happened in the PMC. It's very
> : >: legit. And 100% of the donations go directly to the Dana Farber
> : >: center, and never enter any other bank account. No chance for fraud,
> : >: really.
> : >
> : >Well, yes, something like that did happen (in 2003, I believe), although it
> : >takes a pretty relentless Google search to learn much about it. Most of what's
> : >available is the PMC's indignant replies to the accusations. My impression is
> : >that nothing illegal took place and that one's opinion on the merits of the
> : >case depends on one's attitude towards non-profits and feelings about what
> : >constitutes reasonable compensation of their leaders.
> : >
> : >What I know for sure is that one of my friends, who's an avid bike rider and a
> : >former staunch supporter of the PMC, was sufficiently upset that he took a
> : >hiatus of at least a year or two from riding in the event.
> : >
> :
> : Do you have a link for that? I'm pretty curious, and tried to search
> : for something, anythying, but came up empty.
>
> As I said, it's a hard nut to crack. But you might try this as a starting
> point:
> http://www.pmc.org/articles.asp?Arti...4&Tab=Calendar
>
> Sorry to take so long to get back to you. My wife and I have been away for a
> few days for a photo shoot in Acadia National Park. :^)
>
> Bob

One of my favorite places.
How did you like it?
P;ease post images.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:30:15 -0400, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:37:54 -0500, Doug McDonald
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >On 8/26/2012 7:07 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: >
: >> As I said, it's a hard nut to crack. But you might try this as a starting
: >> point:
: >> http://www.pmc.org/articles.asp?Arti...4&Tab=Calendar
: >>
: >
[...]

From what I've been able to piece together, it appears that what you say is
literally true: the money raised by the riders goes straight to the Jimmy
Fund. But there's another large pot of money paid by companies to be sponsors
of the race, and that money doesn't all go to the JF. Some amount of it (by
most reckoning, at least $500,000 and possibly $1,000,000 or more) goes to the
founder's management company and compensates him handsomely. The accounting is
carefully done, and there's nothing illegal AFAIK; but some apparently think
it unseemly that the founder does so well.

Note that I have no dog in this hunt. I've never ridden in the race nor
contributed to it. So I have no opinion regarding how the money is allocated
or whether the founder is overpaid.

Bob

Re: [SI] Hit the road; "The Road Less Travelled" is up! Paul Furman Digital Photography 2 07-20-2009 07:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS: MCP Program Takes New Road in September ... =?Utf-8?B?UmFqYQ==?= MCSD 0 07-16-2005 02:45 PM
Pix 501-Road Runner Cable bgt Cisco 1 04-26-2004 05:54 PM
Really stumped on router connected to time warner road runner internet Eugene Cisco 4 04-26-2004 01:50 AM
PIX 515E as VPN Server for Road Warriors? Adam J Purcell Cisco 10 12-01-2003 05:29 PM

Advertisments