Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] On The Road - 'duck Comments

Re: [SI] On The Road - 'duck Comments

tony cooper

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:39:56 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-08-21 12:28:54 -0700, jgh <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:12:00 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
>>
>>> ‘Duck comments:

>> [...]
>>> Stick?? who is Stick?:
>>> On-Road-01:
>>> Nice idea with the golden sunlight lighting the cobbled road through the
>>> fortified wall. Nice touch having the car leaving to be “on the road. I
>>> can’t help but believe that a CPF, or ND Grad, or a different approach
>>> to your post processing might have made this a better shot.

>> Thanks. This was a grab shot, in Avila (Spain) at sunset.
>> It's had no post; I'm interested in what you'd do to it.

>Avila, Spain.
>My #2 was shot on Avila Beach Drive, Avila Beach, California.
>
>Just playing around with what you submitted to the SI, I came up with
>this result. Just remember that without the original I am limited in
>what can be done, and what I have posted below, might not be by any
>stretch of the imagination, the best possible result, but it is
>different, and addresses some of the issues of the tough lighting and
>exposure conditions you had to deal with.
><
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7...%20SHARE/Stick
>>

>I hope to see more of your stuff in future SI's. Don't concern yourself
>with some of the banter in the various comments, all mean well and are
>just expressing our particular opinions, along with constructive
>criticism.

Banter to follow...

I prefer the original version. The revised version's flaws, in my
eye, are the increased detail of the wall and bright, brassy colors in
the middle.

The wall isn't the subject. The wall is the backdrop for the opening
and the light through the opening. Let the wall stay a backdrop.

The soft color of the light on the cobbles and through the opening is
pleasing. Nice warm look.

OK...banter mode on. HDR has infected you, Duck. It's like that
flesh-eating disease that destroys the body cell-by-cell. All images
don't need garish brights and excessive detail. Some things in an
image can be there as a frame to showcase something else. Soft can be
good.

Look specifically at the green area in contrast with the golden
landscape in the original. The green is the pearl earring. Now look
at that same area in the revised image. There's a harsh change of
color.

Then look at the white sign in the original. It's there, but it
blends in. In the revision, it's more noticeable than the lamp
outside. It's an eye magnet.

I can see a little - just a touch - of lightening up the walls to
provide enough suggestion of the stone work to know it's there. I'd
leave the soft gold the way it is. The only real change I'd make is
to take out that spot of darkness in the cobbles.

It's probably the shadow of something, but it looks like an oil stain.

In framing the original composition, I think I'd like to see the
photographer moving to his left so there isn't so much balance in the
centered opening and the triangular points at the top. Too late for
that, though (and haven't we all been there?).

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:25:31 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>> I can see a little - just a touch - of lightening up the walls to
>> provide enough suggestion of the stone work to know it's there. I'd
>> leave the soft gold the way it is. The only real change I'd make is
>> to take out that spot of darkness in the cobbles.
>>
>> It's probably the shadow of something, but it looks like an oil stain.

>That is the shadow of the lamp outside the portal.

Probably, but the angle of the shadow of the car doesn't seem to agree
with the shadow of the lamp that far out. Could be, though.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

:
[...]

Maybe the Duck has become infected with HDR fever, Tony, but your
anti-centering fixation may be just as disabling in the long run. Some
pictures look better centered; some don't. What looks best in a given
situation is all that really matters.

Bob

tony cooper

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 06:27:20 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:16:05 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: OK...banter mode on. HDR has infected you, Duck. It's like that
>: flesh-eating disease that destroys the body cell-by-cell. All images
>: don't need garish brights and excessive detail. Some things in an
>: image can be there as a frame to showcase something else. Soft can be
>: good.
>:
>: Look specifically at the green area in contrast with the golden
>: landscape in the original. The green is the pearl earring. Now look
>: at that same area in the revised image. There's a harsh change of
>: color.
>:
>: Then look at the white sign in the original. It's there, but it
>: blends in. In the revision, it's more noticeable than the lamp
>: outside. It's an eye magnet.
>:
>: I can see a little - just a touch - of lightening up the walls to
>: provide enough suggestion of the stone work to know it's there. I'd
>: leave the soft gold the way it is. The only real change I'd make is
>: to take out that spot of darkness in the cobbles.
>:
>: It's probably the shadow of something, but it looks like an oil stain.
>:
>: In framing the original composition, I think I'd like to see the
>: photographer moving to his left so there isn't so much balance in the
>: centered opening and the triangular points at the top. Too late for
>: that, though (and haven't we all been there?).
>
>Maybe the Duck has become infected with HDR fever, Tony, but your
>anti-centering fixation may be just as disabling in the long run. Some
>pictures look better centered; some don't. What looks best in a given
>situation is all that really matters.

I approach every photograph independently. What you see as a
"fixation" is if a centered image is one that I think would look
better un-centered, I comment on that. What you don't seem to notice
is that I *don't* comment on the centering when I feel that this is
appropriate for the image.

If you look at my comments on all of the images, I like the centering
or don't comment on not liking it, in many of the images. There were
many centered roads.

"What looks best" is the idea of commenting on the balance of an
image. Centering or not centering is often more about balance than it
is position. In Eric's "Yellow Lines", and Bowser's black and white
road stripes, the images are centered. Eric's image is one of my
favorites. In these cases, centering balances the image.

In Stick's image, the opening can be moved to one side (de-centering
it), but the image will still be in balance. Until we see what that
view would look like, we don't know if it would be better or not.
But, comments are supposed to encourage a submitter to think about
other ways an image could be shot.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida