Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox, profiles and default browser

Firefox, profiles and default browser

Jay Catter

Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
different links.
However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in Explorer
when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox OK, but always
with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to tweak windows to get
the right profile started.
If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for a
later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default browser
and then come back to FF ?

Leonidas Jones

Jay Catter wrote:
> Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
> different links.
> However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in Explorer
> when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox OK, but always
> with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to tweak windows to get
> the right profile started.
> If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for a
> later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default browser
> and then come back to FF ?

Its one of my pet peeves about Firefox. It will open in the most
recently opened profile, unless you tell it to do otherwise. Mozilla
will open in Profile Manager if not told otherwise, and allow you to choose.

You could just make sure that the last profile you open is the one your
want to be the default.

You will have to go into Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder Options>>File
Types, and add the -p switch to the open line for htm and html files.
That should cause Profile Manager to open up, and let you choose the
profile. Or -p "profilename" would specify the exact profile, if you
want to set a default.

Lee

Jay Catter

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bgV8d.497986$(E-Mail Removed):

> Jay Catter wrote:
>> Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
>> different links.
>> However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in
>> Explorer when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox
>> OK, but always with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to
>> tweak windows to get the right profile started.
>> If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for
>> a later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default
>> browser and then come back to FF ?

> Its one of my pet peeves about Firefox. It will open in the most
> recently opened profile, unless you tell it to do otherwise. Mozilla
> will open in Profile Manager if not told otherwise, and allow you to
> choose.
>
> You could just make sure that the last profile you open is the one
> your want to be the default.
>
> You will have to go into Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder Options>>File
> Types, and add the -p switch to the open line for htm and html files.
> That should cause Profile Manager to open up, and let you choose the
> profile. Or -p "profilename" would specify the exact profile, if you
> want to set a default.
>
> Lee

In fact my question begins where your answer stops. I had done already what
you suggested, except for the "Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder
Options>>File
> Types, and add the -p ...", which I couldn't. The problem here is that I

don't have .htm and .html extensions in the file types, at my great
surprise. I don't know how it can work when I double click a .htm file, but
it does and it starts with whatever browser I declared as the default
one.Strange, isn't it ? I have nowhere to write -p in the open option !

Leonidas Jones

Jay Catter wrote:
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bgV8d.497986$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Jay Catter wrote:
>>
>>>Windows 98. I use different profiles for Firefox, starting it with
>>>different links.
>>>However, a problem remains when I double click an .htm file in
>>>Explorer when FF is set to be my default browser. It starts Firefox
>>>OK, but always with the same (wrong !) profile. How is it possible to
>>>tweak windows to get the right profile started.
>>>If that is possible, how is it then possible to keep that profile for
>>>a later start of FF, even if I switch inbetween to Opera as default
>>>browser and then come back to FF ?

>>Its one of my pet peeves about Firefox. It will open in the most
>>recently opened profile, unless you tell it to do otherwise. Mozilla
>>will open in Profile Manager if not told otherwise, and allow you to
>>choose.
>>
>>You could just make sure that the last profile you open is the one
>>your want to be the default.
>>
>>You will have to go into Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder Options>>File
>>Types, and add the -p switch to the open line for htm and html files.
>>That should cause Profile Manager to open up, and let you choose the
>>profile. Or -p "profilename" would specify the exact profile, if you
>>want to set a default.
>>
>>Lee

> In fact my question begins where your answer stops. I had done already what
> you suggested, except for the "Windows Explorer, Tools>>Folder
> Options>>File
>
>>Types, and add the -p ...", which I couldn't. The problem here is that I

> don't have .htm and .html extensions in the file types, at my great
> surprise. I don't know how it can work when I double click a .htm file, but
> it does and it starts with whatever browser I declared as the default
> one.Strange, isn't it ? I have nowhere to write -p in the open option !

Try under N/A, URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol?

Lee