Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: "Blue Guy" revisited

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: "Blue Guy" revisited

 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2012
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:52:11 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: I feel my "blue" version emphasizes the face and the statue/wax figure
: look and makes the background truly a background. I see the point,
: though, about the area on the right being too bright. That's the side
: the sun was coming from, but it should have been toned down. As long
: as significant changes are made in post, anything goes and that area
: should have been toned down to get the image more in balance. I do
: stand by my crop, though. The extra area doesn't add much as a
: "leading area".

Looking at it longer, I've concluded that the two croppings represent two
distinct interpretations of the presentation. Your cropping makes it appear
that the subject was interrupted and has turned in the direction of the
interruption, while the Duck's version does not. The effect is intensified by
the blending of the jacket and the turtleneck sweater in your version and the
more severe cropping on the right in the Duck's.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2012
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:41:01 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:52:11 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: I feel my "blue" version emphasizes the face and the statue/wax figure
>: look and makes the background truly a background. I see the point,
>: though, about the area on the right being too bright. That's the side
>: the sun was coming from, but it should have been toned down. As long
>: as significant changes are made in post, anything goes and that area
>: should have been toned down to get the image more in balance. I do
>: stand by my crop, though. The extra area doesn't add much as a
>: "leading area".
>
>Looking at it longer, I've concluded that the two croppings represent two
>distinct interpretations of the presentation. Your cropping makes it appear
>that the subject was interrupted and has turned in the direction of the
>interruption, while the Duck's version does not. The effect is intensified by
>the blending of the jacket and the turtleneck sweater in your version and the
>more severe cropping on the right in the Duck's.
>

The Duck didn't crop at all. He kept the entire o-o-c image intact.

I cropped to take out the darker objects in the top left corner. I
did darken the tee shirt because I didn't want a distracting bit of
lightness at the bottom.

As far as being interrupted, the subject is either asleep or dead.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2012
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:52:09 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:41:01 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:52:11 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
: >wrote:
: >: I feel my "blue" version emphasizes the face and the statue/wax figure
: >: look and makes the background truly a background. I see the point,
: >: though, about the area on the right being too bright. That's the side
: >: the sun was coming from, but it should have been toned down. As long
: >: as significant changes are made in post, anything goes and that area
: >: should have been toned down to get the image more in balance. I do
: >: stand by my crop, though. The extra area doesn't add much as a
: >: "leading area".
: >
: >Looking at it longer, I've concluded that the two croppings represent two
: >distinct interpretations of the presentation. Your cropping makes it appear
: >that the subject was interrupted and has turned in the direction of the
: >interruption, while the Duck's version does not. The effect is intensified by
: >the blending of the jacket and the turtleneck sweater in your version and the
: >more severe cropping on the right in the Duck's.
: >
: The Duck didn't crop at all. He kept the entire o-o-c image intact.

If the Duck didn't do any cropping, how come the subject's head is so much
closer to the right-hand edge of the picture in his version than in yours? And
how does his version manage to keep pretty much the same aspect ratio as
yours?

: I cropped to take out the darker objects in the top left corner. I
: did darken the tee shirt because I didn't want a distracting bit of
: lightness at the bottom.
:
: As far as being interrupted, the subject is either asleep or dead.

Yeah, I guess. Until I looked more closely, I thought the light glaring off of
the subject's eyelids were his eyes. I.e., that he had his eyes open.

Well, then I don't see any reason for cropping on the left. But of course I'm
not the one who has to be pleased.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2012
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:20:12 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:52:09 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:41:01 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:52:11 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>: >wrote:
>: >: I feel my "blue" version emphasizes the face and the statue/wax figure
>: >: look and makes the background truly a background. I see the point,
>: >: though, about the area on the right being too bright. That's the side
>: >: the sun was coming from, but it should have been toned down. As long
>: >: as significant changes are made in post, anything goes and that area
>: >: should have been toned down to get the image more in balance. I do
>: >: stand by my crop, though. The extra area doesn't add much as a
>: >: "leading area".
>: >
>: >Looking at it longer, I've concluded that the two croppings represent two
>: >distinct interpretations of the presentation. Your cropping makes it appear
>: >that the subject was interrupted and has turned in the direction of the
>: >interruption, while the Duck's version does not. The effect is intensified by
>: >the blending of the jacket and the turtleneck sweater in your version and the
>: >more severe cropping on the right in the Duck's.
>: >
>: The Duck didn't crop at all. He kept the entire o-o-c image intact.
>
>If the Duck didn't do any cropping, how come the subject's head is so much
>closer to the right-hand edge of the picture in his version than in yours? And
>how does his version manage to keep pretty much the same aspect ratio as
>yours?


I think I know what the problem is. You are looking at the images in
this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7...es/Cooper-Test

without clicking an image to open the image. If you click on an
image, it will expand to full-screen and allow you to arrow to the
next and the next and the next.

What you see in the filmstrip, or whatever you call it, is not the
full image. It looks like the Duck has cropped off the right.

If you look at the full-screen image, you will see that the Duck has
not cropped the image at all, but that I have cropped the image just
the left of the first stack of picture frames. Duck's images have a
second stack of picture frames on the left.

My reason for cropping is below:

>: I cropped to take out the darker objects in the top left corner. I
>: did darken the tee shirt because I didn't want a distracting bit of
>: lightness at the bottom.
>:
>: As far as being interrupted, the subject is either asleep or dead.
>
>Yeah, I guess. Until I looked more closely, I thought the light glaring off of
>the subject's eyelids were his eyes. I.e., that he had his eyes open.
>
>Well, then I don't see any reason for cropping on the left. But of course I'm
>not the one who has to be pleased.


I think full-screen viewing will satisfy your question as to why I
cropped.

This is the first time, I think, that anyone has used the DropBox
album format in this forum. I suggested this to Duck because it's
easier to compare images when you can go back and forth as opposed to
opening four separate links. It's a good way to display several
images...IF you click to open the images to the full size.

If you use DropBox, you put the images in an album and link to the
album instead of to the individual images.




--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA Forceware Revisited article Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-22-2005 01:37 PM
Mnenhy revisited Caploc Firefox 3 12-16-2004 12:37 AM
ESMTP Problems Revisited Brian Cisco 9 01-06-2004 06:02 PM
REVISITED: Cisco to Dell PowerConnect via Fiber Brad Tarver Cisco 0 07-09-2003 12:01 AM
REVISITED: connecting a dell powerconnect 3024 to a cisco 2924M over fiber Brad Tarver Cisco 0 07-09-2003 12:00 AM



Advertisments