Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How fast are my hard drives?

How fast are my hard drives?

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:snXYr.9349$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

>> make things worse.
>> Theoretically you could assign drive A, BUT 1) insufficient space even
>> if it was allowed, and 2) NOT an option.
>> So,in effect you lost that HD and all of the data on it, with Billy boy
>> saying "have a nice day".
>>
>> Solution:
>> Have multiple "virtual" drives by of 2 or more partitions and your
>> default boot drive NOT drive C..pointer is to a drive letter beyond the
>> CDs,etc and that drive letter does not change if a second HD is inserted
>> (mine is drive G).
>> Also, ALWAYS have a second HD that is an exact copy (no "image" BS) so
>> that when the master, working drive goes bad,you can be on the air in a
>> few minutes (or less if using removeable HD kits) and you have lost only
>> the work since the previous BACKUP.
>> That reminds me to say it again for the umpteenth time BACKUP!
>> If you do not BACKUP on a reasonably decent schedule you are simply
>> ASKING for total loss.
>>

> I think when I did it on win98 I just deleted thepage file and it was
> recreated again.
> Not sure if I deleted it through windows or wimply just deleted it!!
> Actually you can;t just delete it because it is inuse!!
> Maybe I copied it I just can't remember. Would seem best to do the whole
> lot
> without a page file officialy, then booot without one and recreate one.
>

> I am now have second thought about what to do.
>
> I currently have (physical drives) my:-
>
> C: drive 80GB (which has a recovery partition D: of about 5gig)
> E: drive 250GB (contains some backups which are well out of date and some
> TV recordings)
>
> 500GB USB drive which is basically a backup of E: with more TV recordings.
>
> New 3TB drive which I have just backup up E: to so it is sort of backed up
> twice but they
> are probably out of sync with the 500GB backup.
>
> However I am not sure which is the best way to go now. I am thinking of
> starting over, deleting
> the new backup and then partitioning the 3TB drive down a bit. I basically
> have to decide what to do now
> because once I start filling it I will not be able to partition it up
>
> I think what I should do is to try and get everything onto the 500GB drive
> as it has stuff duplicated
> on the 250GB drive. Both are nearly full. A lot of it is basically TV
> programs as I use it as a video recorder,
> mainly football highlight and some full matches. Thing is I have never
> really have looed at them again
> after recording them!! Once something is more than a day ot two old it is
> basically history, it's just
> that it is hard to delete because I know as soon as I do I will probably
> regret it.
>
> I think I will have a look to see if I can cram it all on the 500GB drive,
> may have to delete some stuff
> but we shal see when I connect the drive now to have a look!!

Well I was not thinkinig straight there really I have backed up the 250GB
drive to the 3TB drive so whether I can get it on the 500GB drive as well is
not too inportant, turns out I was about 60mb short.

But anyway just so I have some records here too look back on it the future
I will list my progress - lol. That is the good thing about usenet it
provide
a free note taking system, backup several times etc!!

I have been having a problem deleting stuff due to permissions but I can
boot
into safe mode and delete what I like so far so not problems there.

One thing was I found a 'TOOLS' folder which was protected, when you
try and open it it says "HP invent - Recovery Partition - WARNING this area
contains files used for recovery - do not delete or alter these files.
Any change could prevent recovery later"

The Machine came from HP and they have a recovery system installed on
it, however windows also has a recovery/restore system on it so it can
be a bit confusing for me who has only every see this machine, so
i don't know what is HP and what is windows!!

That TOOLS folder is also on the recovery drive drive d: that is where
I expected to find it. Maybe I copied it to the 250 gig drive to have a look
at it?

Anyhow I should be able to delete it, then I am left with system volume info
and
RECYCLER and pagefile.sys, I have turnedd the page file off on that drive
now.

OK I have made a chage so there is no recycler on f: (250gb) by
clicking on recycle bin properties.

So I have now turned off system restore on that drive and also the recycler
thing and I have also turned off the page file on that drive. So I can
delete
those 3 in safe mode and also the tools folder and it should be empty

THen I will boot back into windows and see if they are gone.

Well I will try and boot back into windows lol, might not make it - gulp!!

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:25cZr.20586$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

> look
> at it?
>
> Anyhow I should be able to delete it, then I am left with system volume
> info and
> RECYCLER and pagefile.sys, I have turnedd the page file off on that drive
> now.
>

> OK I have made a chage so there is no recycler on f: (250gb) by
> clicking on recycle bin properties.
>
> So I have now turned off system restore on that drive and also the
> recycler
> thing and I have also turned off the page file on that drive. So I can
> delete
> those 3 in safe mode and also the tools folder and it should be empty
>
> THen I will boot back into windows and see if they are gone.
>

>Well I will try and boot back into windows lol, might not make it - gulp!!

WEll I am back - just!!!

I had a massive shock though when I could not boot up, it pass the blue post
screen
and then just hung on a black screen, no text!!

I was cursing myself.

Then I remembered the USB drives were connected. I think it was trying to
boot
from them, anyway removed em - problem solved.

So I managed to remove everything apart from system volume info.

I seem to have permissions so maybe it is in use. I just tried to delete
it from windows and that created a recycler folder (which I had just got rid
of - lol).

SO I need to find out how to delete the system volume info, I thought I had
done
enought to delete it but apparently not.

Some googleing is required but I find the quality of the help via google
rather poor
or at least it's hard worrk before you find somethinhg useful.
It's realy slow booting into safe mode!!

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gYcZr.24249$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

> and then just hung on a black screen, no text!!
>
> I was cursing myself.
>
> Then I remembered the USB drives were connected. I think it was trying to
> boot
> from them, anyway removed em - problem solved.
>
> So I managed to remove everything apart from system volume info.
>
> I seem to have permissions so maybe it is in use. I just tried to delete
> it from windows and that created a recycler folder (which I had just got
> rid of - lol).
>
> SO I need to find out how to delete the system volume info, I thought I
> had done
> enought to delete it but apparently not.
>
> Some googleing is required but I find the quality of the help via google
> rather poor
> or at least it's hard worrk before you find somethinhg useful.
> It's realy slow booting into safe mode!!

Ha ha I deleted it (system volume)
WHat I did was

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F

I made a little batch file to do it as it is easier to type then on the
comman line.

Now to get rid of the recycler by same method, hope it works or it means a
reboot
to safe mode and a long wait!!

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l9dZr.7812$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

>> I seem to have permissions so maybe it is in use. I just tried to delete
>> it from windows and that created a recycler folder (which I had just got
>> rid of - lol).
>>
>> SO I need to find out how to delete the system volume info, I thought I
>> had done
>> enought to delete it but apparently not.
>>
>> Some googleing is required but I find the quality of the help via google
>> rather poor
>> or at least it's hard worrk before you find somethinhg useful.
>> It's realy slow booting into safe mode!!
>>>

> Ha ha I deleted it (system volume)
> WHat I did was
>
> cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
>
> I made a little batch file to do it as it is easier to type then on the
> comman line.
>
> Now to get rid of the recycler by same method, hope it works or it means a

Cant delete the recycler, it seems when you delete something a recycler is
recreated any but it won't let me
delete it I need togoogle a bit more lol.

I don't want a recycler and I thought I had turned it off it seems not.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vfdZr.26539$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l9dZr.7812$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>
>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gYcZr.24249$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>>
>>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:25cZr.20586$(E-Mail Removed)4...

>>> WEll I am back - just!!!
>>>

>>> I had a massive shock though when I could not boot up, it pass the blue
>>> post screen
>>> and then just hung on a black screen, no text!!
>>>
>>> I was cursing myself.
>>>
>>> Then I remembered the USB drives were connected. I think it was trying
>>> to boot
>>> from them, anyway removed em - problem solved.
>>>
>>> So I managed to remove everything apart from system volume info.
>>>
>>> I seem to have permissions so maybe it is in use. I just tried to delete
>>> it from windows and that created a recycler folder (which I had just got
>>> rid of - lol).
>>>
>>> SO I need to find out how to delete the system volume info, I thought I
>>> had done
>>> enought to delete it but apparently not.
>>>
>>> Some googleing is required but I find the quality of the help via google
>>> rather poor
>>> or at least it's hard worrk before you find somethinhg useful.
>>> It's realy slow booting into safe mode!!
>>>>

>> Ha ha I deleted it (system volume)
>> WHat I did was
>>
>> cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
>>
>> I made a little batch file to do it as it is easier to type then on the
>> comman line.
>>
>> Now to get rid of the recycler by same method, hope it works or it means
>> a reboot
>> to safe mode and a long wait!!
>>

> Cant delete the recycler, it seems when you delete something a recycler is
> recreated any but it won't let me
> delete it I need togoogle a bit more lol.
>
> I don't want a recycler and I thought I had turned it off it seems not.

WELL GLORY BE I HAVE DONE IT, DISK IS BLANK.!!!

Seem the recycler was turned back on somehow or that drive.

But anyway now I can try some cloning software!!

But there ia a partition on the source drive to complicate things.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rldZr.15808$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vfdZr.26539$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>
>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:l9dZr.7812$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>>
>>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gYcZr.24249$(E-Mail Removed)4...

>>> Ha ha I deleted it (system volume)
>>> WHat I did was
>>>
>>> cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
>>>
>>> I made a little batch file to do it as it is easier to type then on the
>>> comman line.
>>>
>>> Now to get rid of the recycler by same method, hope it works or it means
>>> a reboot
>>> to safe mode and a long wait!!
>>>

>> Cant delete the recycler, it seems when you delete something a recycler
>> is recreated any but it won't let me
>> delete it I need togoogle a bit more lol.
>>
>> I don't want a recycler and I thought I had turned it off it seems not.
>>

> WELL GLORY BE I HAVE DONE IT, DISK IS BLANK.!!!
>
> Seem the recycler was turned back on somehow or that drive.
>
> But anyway now I can try some cloning software!!
>
> But there ia a partition on the source drive to complicate things.

But it has come back again Even though I have turned off system restore
on that drive
and also turned off recycling!1

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BWdZr.23629$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rldZr.15808$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>
>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:vfdZr.26539$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>>
>>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:l9dZr.7812$(E-Mail Removed)4...

>>> Cant delete the recycler, it seems when you delete something a recycler
>>> is recreated any but it won't let me
>>> delete it I need togoogle a bit more lol.
>>>
>>> I don't want a recycler and I thought I had turned it off it seems not.
>>>

>> WELL GLORY BE I HAVE DONE IT, DISK IS BLANK.!!!
>>
>> Seem the recycler was turned back on somehow or that drive.
>>
>> But anyway now I can try some cloning software!!
>>
>> But there ia a partition on the source drive to complicate things.
>>

> But it has come back again Even though I have turned off system restore
> on that drive
> and also turned off recycling!1

I'm cloning!!! Had problems with volume shadow copy not running and various
others.

Even if I do clone it I will still have problems acces the drives maybe, one
is stuck
in the bay a bit and the othr a bit loose

Dunno if it is a cable select or jumpers, cable select would be easiest I
guess
assuming I can get the drives out and in.

THen if I can do al that I guess I shoudl take the 500 gig out off it's
encloser and into my macine as a second drive.

But that is thinking way ahead !!

I also notice my DVD drive seems to have stopped working, unless it is the
media
not working, one CD was read in it but it never recognised any other media.

Anyway, one partion has been done, the small recovery partition, and now
i am 4% through the large main partitiion is only 4% done or even less I
am not sure what is happening and I think
that really I should have stopped working on the machine whilst it is
cloning!!

Whtever wil see what happens, I guess I need to look up my drives jumpers
and selection
jumpers etc...

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

>> WELL GLORY BE I HAVE DONE IT, DISK IS BLANK.!!!
>> Seem the recycler was turned back on somehow or that drive.
>> But anyway now I can try some cloning software!!
>> But there ia a partition on the source drive to complicate things.

> But it has come back again Even though I have turned off system restore
> on that drive
> and also turned off recycling!1

System Volume Information is used on an OS like Windows XP, for
restore point tracking. It's normally off limits on NTFS, but
might be visible inside if using FAT32 (because FAT32 doesn't support
permissions the same way NTFS does).

If you disable System Restore completely, I don't think it stops
the creation of System Volume Information. But it might result
in that folder being practically empty.

On your "Trash Can", you can attempt to find "Properties", and
there would probably be an option for "immediate delete". That
removes the Trash Can as a "staging area" for deleting. That might
allow Recycler to be avoided. But I can imagine the system
creating a new one again, at the drop of a hat.

There are many other flavors of trash folders, and Recycler is just
one of many different things I've found lurking down there. I think
even Windows 8 has a new name for that folder.

Many utilities that copy from one disk to another, don't copy
certain files. I don't think Robocopy likes to copy stuff like SVI.
So you may find, that removing stuff like that entirely,
isn't necessary to achieving a desired end.

Example of using Robocopy:

robocopy L:\ F:\ /mir /copy:datso /dcopy:t /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_l_to_f.log

Note that my example command is *very dangerous*, in that I specified the "mirror"
option, which basically erases the destination drive "F:" in the example. If you
make a mistake, as I've done twice now, and F: happened to be the wrong target
letter, you can lose all the data on the target partition very rapidly. And since
the command is also copying and writing data, it writes all over things that
could have been used to effect a recovery. In summary, before using
that example format of command, be absolutely sure of the operands.

Copying the files from C: partition, is *not* sufficient to make
a bootable partition. Up near the front of the partition, is the
partition boot sector. Not to be confused with the MBR. You can
put a partition boot sector back with "fixboot C:" in recovery
console. The MBR boot code can be fixed with "fixmbr". So you
can piece together a boot partition, but it takes a bit of additional
work. The boot flag may need to be set on the partition as well, if
you haven't taken care of that detail. Using a partition manager,
or a cloning software, is likely to look out for details like that.

On primary partitions, they're stored in four "slots" in sector 0.
If, when cloning, you take a boot partition from slot 1 on one disk,
and store the partition in slot 2 on the MBR of the other disk, then
the boot.ini information will be incorrect (you can fix that with
a text editor). On Partition Magic, that software avoids the issue,
by making sure the partition goes in the same slot number (whether
you really wanted it that way or not). So there are plenty of little
details to worry about.

Moving Win98 is worse, because there is something stored in the
front of the partition, that's size or position sensitive (I'm
not sure of the details). And I don't know how you'd fix that
"the hacker way". Again, a proper Partition Manager or Cloner software,
would check for Win98, and bodge the necessary field(s) in the
partition for you. I've never tried moving Win98 here, as it's just
as easy to reinstall it if I really wanted it.

Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k141lr$80j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> and store the partition in slot 2 on the MBR of the other disk, then
> the boot.ini information will be incorrect (you can fix that with
> a text editor). On Partition Magic, that software avoids the issue,
> by making sure the partition goes in the same slot number (whether
> you really wanted it that way or not). So there are plenty of little
> details to worry about.
>
> Moving Win98 is worse, because there is something stored in the
> front of the partition, that's size or position sensitive (I'm
> not sure of the details). And I don't know how you'd fix that
> "the hacker way". Again, a proper Partition Manager or Cloner software,
> would check for Win98, and bodge the necessary field(s) in the
> partition for you. I've never tried moving Win98 here, as it's just
> as easy to reinstall it if I really wanted it.

Thanks for that Paul, just a progress up date first, I am now as I type 97%
complete in creating
the cloned disk!! So the system volume info and recovery seem to be behind
me now ( I hope!!).

I have not looked up the disks yet but I will first try just booting one the
original drive by itself.

Then I will try and swop it for the cloned one and see what happens, I might
have to change some
jumpers but I have not looked intot hat yet.

Clone completed in 58 mins 50 seconds!!

So I am about ready to go!!

Yep I have a F (new recovery) and G: (new system drive) - very exciiting!!

I need to have a little calm down before I do any else now!!

As I said I did manage to 'clone' my win98 system to another drive and boot
from it,
not sure how I managed it but it did work I can assure you!! NOt sure how I
did it
but I don't recally doing any more than a copy and paste!! Was a long time
ago though
so I can't remember too clearly.

Any way I will leave it at that now and have a bit of a think before I try
to roceed further!

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KxgZr.17423$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

> the original drive by itself.
>
> Then I will try and swop it for the cloned one and see what happens, I
> might have to change some
> jumpers but I have not looked intot hat yet.
>
> Clone completed in 58 mins 50 seconds!!
>
> So I am about ready to go!!
>
> Yep I have a F (new recovery) and G: (new system drive) - very exciiting!!
>
> I need to have a little calm down before I do any else now!!
>
> As I said I did manage to 'clone' my win98 system to another drive and
> boot from it,
> not sure how I managed it but it did work I can assure you!! NOt sure how
> I did it
> but I don't recally doing any more than a copy and paste!! Was a long time
> ago though
> so I can't remember too clearly.
>
> Any way I will leave it at that now and have a bit of a think before I try

Well I have found the manual (I think) so now I just need to have look
at the jumper on the drive. Hopefully it will be cable select which means
I just have to pull the cable off both drives and just stick the top one on
the
cloned drive and away I go (in theory!!).