Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop plugins and actions

Photoshop plugins and actions

tony cooper

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 08:59:03 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <k0o2tf$4pg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> Until I can find where they all are,

>they're in the plug-ins folder in the photoshop folder, unless you've
>set an alternate plug-in folder (most people don't).
>
>> have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
>> working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
>> boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs.

>something is wrong. you can install and run multiple versions of
>photoshop. i once had 4 versions installed at the same time when i was
>writing plug-ins.

I agree. I have PS 7.0 and CS4. Both open. I thought I still had PS
5.0, but that must have remained on the old computer.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 8/18/2012 11:59 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <502f7c37$0$6525$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.

> most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
> deal.

So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

--
Peter

nospam

In article <502ffc9b$0$6483$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.

> > most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
> > deal.

> So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

not at all.

Rob

On 19/08/2012 12:36 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-08-18 07:17:23 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> OnOne Perfect Resize, formerly "Genuine Fractals", is also a stand alone
>>> and all the adjustments can be made without opening either CS5 or CS6.
>>>
>>> You should have that stand alone version somewhere on your HD.
>>>

>> I prefer it as a plug-in. Also, because it will try to resharpen
>> every layer, I sometimes create a new file and then apply. It runs
>> much faster and I can easily play with the effects of any
>> over-sharpening.
>> Peter

> Agreed.
> I was just commenting that the stand alone version should be there if he
> needs it. Better to make the reinstall. For now I am quite happy with CS5.
>
> I also agree with regard to the particular sharpening algorithm Perfect
> Resize uses. I dial it down completely.

I only use OnOne for the wrap on canvas prints. This needs to be
accurate so I measure the frame first resize image then apply wrap.

Rob

On 19/08/2012 1:59 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <k0o2tf$4pg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Until I can find where they all are,

> they're in the plug-ins folder in the photoshop folder, unless you've
> set an alternate plug-in folder (most people don't).
>
>> have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
>> working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
>> boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs.

> something is wrong. you can install and run multiple versions of
> photoshop. i once had 4 versions installed at the same time when i was
> writing plug-ins.

yes I have had two versions running unfortunately for some reason not
this time.

Till I can sort all the plugins out was intending to use both versions.
I didn't want to interrupt my work flow so abruptly. Adding what became
necessary as I progress along the learning curve.

My computer file system is in a mess as to where the original programmes
have been stored folders/sub folders new/updates etc. Although not that
bad. So are on a backup HDD. This computer has an accumulation of over
two years stuff.

> as for the plug-ins, they're in cs5's plug-in folder. drag them to
> cs6's plug-in folder and you'll have access again. as mentioned before,
> some might need a reinstall but that's the exception, not the rule.

I have actions to sort as well.

PeterN

On 8/18/2012 8:08 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
>>> deal.

>> So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

> not at all.

For some strange reason, I trust the conclusion drawn by Adobe, more
than yours. Why do y0ou suppose that is?

--
Peter

nospam

In article <503069ca$0$6501$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

> > not at all.

> For some strange reason, I trust the conclusion drawn by Adobe, more
> than yours. Why do y0ou suppose that is?

because you don't understand what it is you're reading.

all adobe is saying is it's safest to reinstall. that's true, it is the
safest.

that doesn't mean that other methods will result in problems. they
*might*, but they probably won't.

as i said, dragging plug-ins from one folder to another is all that's
needed most of the time, and in the event a plug-in doesn't work after
dragging, you can reinstall *that* particular one. no need to reinstall
all of them if you don't have to.

but if you want to play it safe and make more work for yourself, feel
free to reinstall everything. it won't hurt.