Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Boot memory problems.

Boot memory problems.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CysXr.1680145$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

>> so that the cache doesn't have an undue influence. The cache on
>> your processor, might be in the 1 megabyte neighborhood, so
>> consuming 8 megabytes of memory while the calculation is running
>> should be OK.
>>
>> http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads..._Mod_v1.5.html
>>
>> You'd do a run with the 2x1GB installed in dual channel mode.
>>
>> Then, install the third DIMM. And retest. Taking notes also,
>> in each case, what CPUZ shows for the BIOS response to the
>> two different configs. (I.e. Whether the Command Rate is
>> getting changed, and is different between the two configs.)
>>
>> The computation time is in seconds. You compare the number
>> of seconds it took, with each config. If the results are
>> pretty close, you know you're not paying much of a penalty
>> by adding the third DIMM. If the results are radically different,
>> you pull the third DIMM, and run with 2x1GB.
>>
>> Before using the new memory, don't forget to use the memtest86+
>> for at least one pass. You can try testing the new modules,
>> one module at a time. That's to remove the ambiguity, as to which
>> module is bad, if there are errors. Then, install two modules
>> together, and do another test. If all three test cases pass,
>> you're then ready for your first boot into dual channel mode
>> in Windows.
>>
>> When you add the third module (your existing RAM),
>> you can try another memtest86+ run, before booting into Windows.
>> Again, just to be sure everything is stable.
>>
>> If you have bad RAM, then boot Windows, there can be eventual
>> corruption of the registry files. And then, you'd better pray your
>> System Restore points are in good order (System Restore has
>> copies of the Registry). I advocate testing the memory,
>> to reduce the risk. Even with careful testing, at least
>> one poster had registry corruption, and that happens when
>> memtest86+ doesn't see a problem, but there is a problem
>> present never the less. The memory tester isn't the best,
>> which is why Prime95 (or one of the other burn-in programs),
>> is better at acceptance testing. You can run Prime95 from a
>> Linux LiveCD, and that's one way to avoid Windows corruption.
>>
>> Paul

> Thanks, I am think now of buying 3 gig which I can get for about 30
> which will not break the bank. I will have to see what is available and
> recheck the
> serial number and all that now I am pretty confident I know what they all
> mean.
> Slight risk buying on ebay because you have to ask why they are selling
> and if they
> may be fauly as happened before.
> Also might be better buying from someone who is mot a major seller as I
> think
> they are less likely so sell faulty stuff.
> I think people can cheat the feedback system somewhat, last time when I
> returned
> my module he said it never arrived he claimed compensation form the post

Right I have bought this
=================
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180945402741

This is for a Hynix 1GB Memory Module part no. HYMD512646.

It has been removed from a working computer and works fine.

Hynix memory are one of the best around.

Main SpecificationGeneral
Storage Capacity 1 gb
Type DRAM
Technology DDR SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 184-PIN
Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
Latency Timings CL3
Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
RAM Features Unbuffered
Module Configuration 128 x 64
Supply Voltage 2.6 V
Lead Plating GoldExpansion / ConnectivityCompatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM
184-PIN

Please check that this memory is compatable with your system . you can check
this on the internet.

Many thanks for looking at my page.

===========

This is why everesy reported for my chip before
Memory Module Properties:
Module Name 128M64K-40C
Serial Number 040413C3h
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

I not the only difference is the voltage, but that shoud be OK I hope!

Anyhow it is cheap and I do not have to sign for it which is good because
normally that means they get returned to the depot because I am not in at
the time.
So I should be trying that in just over a weeks time!!
If it's OK I may get some more.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c_tXr.696122$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

> Many thanks for looking at my page.
>

> ===========
>
> This is why everesy reported for my chip before
> Memory Module Properties:
> Module Name 128M64K-40C
> Serial Number 040413C3h
> Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
> Module Type Unbuffered
> Memory Type DDR SDRAM
> Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
> Module Width 64 bit
> Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
> Error Detection Method None
> Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
>
> I not the only difference is the voltage, but that shoud be OK I hope!
>
> Anyhow it is cheap and I do not have to sign for it which is good because
> normally that means they get returned to the depot because I am not in at
> the time.
> So I should be trying that in just over a weeks time!!

Ok just a further ramble on chip density/, I found this.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Myth-Low-Den...00000001236178

=========
How to tell if your 1GB module is a low or high density module?
a.. All low density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each
side) using 64Mx8 device.
b.. All high density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each
side) using 128Mx4 device.
=========

Thre problem for me is that I see in the Everest (some hardware config prog)
report :128M64K-40C
and this confusingly has both 128 and 64 in the name, before I have looked
at the 128 and thought 'high density'!!
However I have over looked the 64 bit indicating low density, which I now
believe it is.

The first PDF here helped a bit showing the module number arranged as 64M X

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsovXr.1124345$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

> Ok just a further ramble on chip density/, I found this.
> http://reviews.ebay.com/Myth-Low-Den...00000001236178
>
> =========
> How to tell if your 1GB module is a low or high density module?
> a.. All low density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each
> side) using 64Mx8 device.
> b.. All high density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each
> side) using 128Mx4 device.
> =========
>
> Thre problem for me is that I see in the Everest (some hardware config
> prog) report :128M64K-40C
> and this confusingly has both 128 and 64 in the name, before I have looked
> at the 128 and thought 'high density'!!
> However I have over looked the 64 bit indicating low density, which I now
> believe it is.
>
> The first PDF here helped a bit showing the module number arranged as 64M

Oh incidently I noticed later yesterdauy that my machine was running slow, I
discovered
one core seemed to be runnig at 100% but doing nothing, effectively putting
me on one core!!

A reboot cleared that, but I wonder what caused it?
Being a bit of a cynic I remembered I have visited Crucial Memory and use
there
tools to access my memoey requirements etc...it's a downloaded exercutable.

I actualy suspect that screwed my machine up!!
Would be quite convienient for them to cripple your machine so you think you
need
to buy lots of memory!!

I could be totally wrong on that but I thought I would mention it incase
other had
similar probs. I had that one core at 100% prob a few years ago, not sure
what fised it
or whether I had visited crucial memeory around that time (quite possible).

meagain

Robert Baer wrote:
> OT subject:
> How in the (#$$%!@ heck can we STOP these 2 idiots from overloading this NG?

Killfile them and stop responding "to" or "about" them; now get everybody
do killfile them.

meagain

Robert Baer wrote:
> meagain wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>> OT subject:
>>> How in the (#$$%!@ heck can we STOP these 2 idiots from overloading
>>> this NG?
>>>

>> Killfile them and stop responding "to" or "about" them; now get everybody
>> do killfile them.
>>

> Lemme see...support traffic overload by ignoring the generators?
> Why not ask them to increase their efforts - as you do not care and are turning a
> blind eye?

THe point is that you and I encourage the spammers/idiots by responding to them. If
no one responded/complained would they keep doing it?