Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Boot memory problems.

Reply
Thread Tools

Boot memory problems.

 
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012
>>
>> 16 chips, is enough for non-ECC UDIMM (unbuffered, x64 wide)
>> 18 chips, is enough for ECC UDIMM (unbuffered, x72 wide)
>> 21 chips, is enough for ECC RDIMM (registered, x72 wide, server
>> memory)
>>
>> You don't want server memory.
>>
>> You also want to match what you've got, 16 chips.
>>
>> The match is on rows,columns,banks,ranks.
>> The row address is delivered on RAS (row address strobe)
>> The column address is delivered on CAS (column address strobe)
>> Rows times columns, is a block of memory bits, inside a memory chip.
>> The blocks form four banks. So the third logical dimension inside
>> the memory chip, is a bank. There are four blocks, arranged above
>> one another, and bank is along the Z-axis.
>>
>> The number of banks changes, as the technology advances. Banks
>> are used to drop the clock rate inside the chip. So when the new memories
>> go faster and faster, the clock inside stays relatively the same, and
>> it's done by using more banks.
>>
>> Now, all of that, was inside a memory chip. You want the logical
>> dimensions of the memory chips on both modules to be the same.
>> For AMD, that's so the same address during RAS, CAS, and BA (bank
>> address)
>> can be used. It's so the control information is the same in both
>> channels.
>> Not all hardware works that way though, and there are more flexible
>> arrangements
>> than the old AMD one, which allow each DIMM to have its own flavor of
>> control.
>>
>> The ranks, are groups of chips on the DIMM. A rank is enough chips to
>> make
>> a 64 bit wide array (for your kind of DIMM). Say we're using chips which
>> are
>> x8 wide. It takes eight of those chips to make a rank. There is a rank
>> on each side of the module. So, a total of two ranks.
>>
>> If you had high density DDR, it takes (16) of the x4 chips to make a
>> rank.
>> The entire DIMM, then ends up being a single rank. So mixing a high and
>> a low density DIMM, is a non-starter, and causes reversion to single
>> channel mode on the Rev.E or later processor.
>>
>> Server memory, can have as many as four ranks on the same DIMM. That is,
>> a total of 36 memory chips, plus the register and PLL located in the
>> center of the DIMM. Such memories work on Opteron servers for example.
>>
>> Fully buffered memory (Intel server thing) or FBDIMM, uses a larger
>> chip in the center of the DIMM, which buffers *everything*. Whereas,
>> on an RDIMM, only the address/control bus is buffered, and the data is
>> unbuffered. On an FBDIMM, an entirely different interconnect standard
>> is used, to connect DIMMs together. In terms of allowing all sorts of
>> wacky things to happen, an FBDIMM has the most latitude to be
>> creative when building flavors of DIMMs.
>>
>> But your world right now, is rather simple. Look for the 16 chips,
>> try to buy a branded RAM (not "high density" off Ebay), and you
>> should be fine with your DDR400 purchase.
>>
>> Paul

>
> Right, thanks a lot for that.
>
> I have had a look at the BIOS and there is no option to change to T1 from
> T2 there.
> That is not a surprise really, these machine are targeted at the mass
> market, not those who tinker
> and modify.
> I also looked at the 1 gig module and it is a Hynix 611AA A
> HY50U12822CPT-043, that 5 might be an S
> So seems sensible to get another similar.
> I also move the 1 gig to slot 3 single channel setup.
> CUPZ still the same, ie T2
>
> It has 8 chips on each side, so that woud be low density, I seem to
> remember from before
> not to get high density.
>
> This would seem to be suitable
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-GB-DDR-4...item3a789d6875
>
> Cheap at 10.99 but that might suggest it is faulty (lol). Also the brand
> is unclear as several are listed.
>
> Another I could bit one but ECC not mentioned, is that a chip in the
> middle?
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-DDR-...item3a786f49ff
>
> Another here.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-1GB-...item4168971468
>
> And another here.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GB-Hynix-...a784af844#shId
>
> So I will have to plump for one of those. The last one seems fine, 100%
> feedback and ticks all the boxes
> I think, it say low density when I google it else where, so I may as well
> get that one.
>


looks like the number is HY5DU128-CTP-043 not HY50U12822CPT-043,
(note CTP not CPT)
But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!


But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the exact
same part number I don't think.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012
>> get that one.
>>

>
> looks like the number is HY5DU128-CTP-043 not HY50U12822CPT-043,
> (note CTP not CPT)
> But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!
>
>
> But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the exact
> same part number I don't think.
>
>
>
>


Seems it is D43 not 043!!


HY5DU12822CTP-D43

Anyway I wil just buy one of those listed or I will be here forever!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F1iXr.99791$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>> get that one.
>>>

>>
>> looks like the number is HY5DU128-CTP-043 not HY50U12822CPT-043,
>> (note CTP not CPT)
>> But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!
>>
>>
>> But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the
>> exact same part number I don't think.
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
> Seems it is D43 not 043!!
>
>
> HY5DU12822CTP-D43
>
> Anyway I wil just buy one of those listed or I will be here forever!!
>
>


all the codes are decoded here.

http://www.skhynix.com/products/supp...berdecoder.jsp

I find that stuff a bit confusing at the moment, but I guess I won't be able
to find the
exact same part number for sale?

but I am not too sure I see a lot with HYMD512646DP8J-D43


MIne is HY5DU12822CTP-D43 not the organisation code 8 mean x8 and 6 means
x16
does that matter? Mind you my number is on the chip not the module.

Then on mine it is followed by a 2 for 2 banks but the above one is 4 for 4
banks, I
am not sure what it means by banks, are we talking about the chip or the
module?

Confusing to me. As I say I am looking at the numbers on the chips and I
think the
numbers on ebay are from a sticker on the chip, there is no sticker on my
module.

I will see what you have to say before proceeding!! It's doing my head
in!!!



 
Reply With Quote
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F1iXr.99791$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>> get that one.
>>>

>>
>> looks like the number is HY5DU128-CTP-043 not HY50U12822CPT-043,
>> (note CTP not CPT)
>> But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!
>>
>>
>> But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the
>> exact same part number I don't think.
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
> Seems it is D43 not 043!!
>
>
> HY5DU12822CTP-D43
>
> Anyway I wil just buy one of those listed or I will be here forever!!
>
>


I also found an old post to add to the confusion, suggesting my existing 1
gig module
is high density, would that make sense and does it tie in with the part
number?

old post follows.

------------------------------

Bit of a long story so I will try to summarise.
PC came with 256m ram. DDR400 PC3200
I bought and exta gig and added into next slot to make 1.25 gig
All running well for many years.
Then upgraded to a X2 AMD 3800 processor.
I think I had reboot with that processor, anyway a month later
I got another gig of DDR400 PC3200

I had problems adding that, beeps etc.
However eventually I got running with the two 1 gig stick in the first two
(of 4) slots.
However I was getting reboots, about 1 every 4 hours on average (variable)

So I went to just the new 1 gig stick i slot 1.
That gave a reboot after 1.5 hours

So I tried just the old 1 gig stick in slot one - results -beeps!!!
I shifted it to slot 2 on a 'hunch' and it booted up correctly.

It has not rebbooted on that yet but I have only been running a couple of
hours
so not long enough to be conclusive.

Something I have noticed is that the first 1 gig stick I got appears to be
high
density, looking with the Everst utility (below) the module name 128M64K-40C
suggests it is arranged as high density.


However having said that it had been running fine along side what is a 256m
low
density module as a (rather badly) 'matched pair'

This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.


Memory Module Properties:
Module Name 128M64K-40C
Serial Number 040413C3h
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

------------ end of old post - enough confusion for today!!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012
R. Giggs. wrote:

>
> Right, thanks a lot for that.
>
> I have had a look at the BIOS and there is no option to change to T1 from T2
> there.
> That is not a surprise really, these machine are targeted at the mass
> market, not those who tinker
> and modify.
> I also looked at the 1 gig module and it is a Hynix 611AA A
> HY50U12822CPT-043, that 5 might be an S
> So seems sensible to get another similar.
> I also move the 1 gig to slot 3 single channel setup.
> CUPZ still the same, ie T2
>
> It has 8 chips on each side, so that woud be low density, I seem to remember
> from before
> not to get high density.
>
> This would seem to be suitable
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-GB-DDR-4...item3a789d6875
>
> Cheap at 10.99 but that might suggest it is faulty (lol). Also the brand is
> unclear as several are listed.
>
> Another I could bit one but ECC not mentioned, is that a chip in the middle?
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-DDR-...item3a786f49ff
>
> Another here.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-1GB-...item4168971468
>
> And another here.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GB-Hynix-...a784af844#shId
>
> So I will have to plump for one of those. The last one seems fine, 100%
> feedback and ticks all the boxes
> I think, it say low density when I google it else where, so I may as well
> get that one.
>
>


But this is sufficient for a gamble. 1GB. Low density. It's "Integral" brand,
same as the pcworld offering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-GB-DDR-4...item3a789d6875

I wouldn't over-brain this. What you're trying to match, is rows/columns/banks/ranks.
And a 16 chip 1GB low density DIMM is what you already own, so you're looking
for another.

It doesn't have to be visually identical. It's highly unlikely that the same
die revision of chips is being used on the modules of today. The die revision
changes as they make improvements to the chips or process. So you really
can't get an identical DIMM, even if you tried.

There are some other memory types, where there would be more uncertainty. For
example, one Kingston SKU, they fill with two different possible DIMMs,
one which works for people and one which doesn't. That requires more
fretting.

But in your case, if you're going to deal with Ebay, the issue is
more "the seller lied to you" than "you picked the wrong product".
As long as that product lives up to its description, it is very likely
to match well enough to get the benefit from dual channel. And you
know you're looking for an unbuffered, non-ECC DIMM, low density, so you're
not likely to pick some server memory by accident (ECC, registered being
typical descriptive terms).

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012
R. Giggs. wrote:
> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:F1iXr.99791$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>>> get that one.
>>>>
>>> looks like the number is HY5DU128-CTP-043 not HY50U12822CPT-043,
>>> (note CTP not CPT)
>>> But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!
>>>
>>>
>>> But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the
>>> exact same part number I don't think.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>> Seems it is D43 not 043!!
>>
>>
>> HY5DU12822CTP-D43
>>
>> Anyway I wil just buy one of those listed or I will be here forever!!
>>
>>

>
> I also found an old post to add to the confusion, suggesting my existing 1
> gig module
> is high density, would that make sense and does it tie in with the part
> number?
>
> old post follows.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Bit of a long story so I will try to summarise.
> PC came with 256m ram. DDR400 PC3200
> I bought and exta gig and added into next slot to make 1.25 gig
> All running well for many years.
> Then upgraded to a X2 AMD 3800 processor.
> I think I had reboot with that processor, anyway a month later
> I got another gig of DDR400 PC3200
>
> I had problems adding that, beeps etc.
> However eventually I got running with the two 1 gig stick in the first two
> (of 4) slots.
> However I was getting reboots, about 1 every 4 hours on average (variable)
>
> So I went to just the new 1 gig stick i slot 1.
> That gave a reboot after 1.5 hours
>
> So I tried just the old 1 gig stick in slot one - results -beeps!!!
> I shifted it to slot 2 on a 'hunch' and it booted up correctly.
>
> It has not rebbooted on that yet but I have only been running a couple of
> hours
> so not long enough to be conclusive.
>
> Something I have noticed is that the first 1 gig stick I got appears to be
> high
> density, looking with the Everst utility (below) the module name 128M64K-40C
> suggests it is arranged as high density.
>
>
> However having said that it had been running fine along side what is a 256m
> low
> density module as a (rather badly) 'matched pair'
>
> This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.
>
>
> Memory Module Properties:
> Module Name 128M64K-40C
> Serial Number 040413C3h
> Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
> Module Type Unbuffered
> Memory Type DDR SDRAM
> Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
> Module Width 64 bit
> Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
> Error Detection Method None
> Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
>
> Memory Timings:
> @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
> @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
> @ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
>
> Memory Module Features:
> Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
> Auto-Precharge Not Supported
> Precharge All Not Supported
> Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
> Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
> Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
> On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
> Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
> Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
> Differential Clock Input Supported
> Redundant Row Address Not Supported
>
> ------------ end of old post - enough confusion for today!!!


1024 MB (2 ranks)

That looks like low density to me.

And using your decoder PDF, look for the digit that selects
organization. If the chips are "x8" width, that's low density.

I tried decoding the number you provided in your other post,
and were you looking at the 256MB module at the time ? Make
sure you got a chip number off the 1GB module.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k0kebh$t16$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>
>>
>> Right, thanks a lot for that.
>>
>> I have had a look at the BIOS and there is no option to change to T1 from
>> T2 there.
>> That is not a surprise really, these machine are targeted at the mass
>> market, not those who tinker
>> and modify.
>> I also looked at the 1 gig module and it is a Hynix 611AA A
>> HY50U12822CPT-043, that 5 might be an S
>> So seems sensible to get another similar.
>> I also move the 1 gig to slot 3 single channel setup.
>> CUPZ still the same, ie T2
>>
>> It has 8 chips on each side, so that woud be low density, I seem to
>> remember from before
>> not to get high density.
>>
>> This would seem to be suitable
>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-GB-DDR-4...item3a789d6875
>>
>> Cheap at 10.99 but that might suggest it is faulty (lol). Also the brand
>> is unclear as several are listed.
>>
>> Another I could bit one but ECC not mentioned, is that a chip in the
>> middle?
>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-DDR-...item3a786f49ff
>>
>> Another here.
>>
>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-1GB-...item4168971468
>>
>> And another here.
>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GB-Hynix-...a784af844#shId
>>
>> So I will have to plump for one of those. The last one seems fine, 100%
>> feedback and ticks all the boxes
>> I think, it say low density when I google it else where, so I may as well
>> get that one.

>
> But this is sufficient for a gamble. 1GB. Low density. It's "Integral"
> brand,
> same as the pcworld offering.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-GB-DDR-4...item3a789d6875
>
> I wouldn't over-brain this. What you're trying to match, is
> rows/columns/banks/ranks.
> And a 16 chip 1GB low density DIMM is what you already own, so you're
> looking
> for another.
>
> It doesn't have to be visually identical. It's highly unlikely that the
> same
> die revision of chips is being used on the modules of today. The die
> revision
> changes as they make improvements to the chips or process. So you really
> can't get an identical DIMM, even if you tried.
>
> There are some other memory types, where there would be more uncertainty.
> For
> example, one Kingston SKU, they fill with two different possible DIMMs,
> one which works for people and one which doesn't. That requires more
> fretting.
>
> But in your case, if you're going to deal with Ebay, the issue is
> more "the seller lied to you" than "you picked the wrong product".
> As long as that product lives up to its description, it is very likely
> to match well enough to get the benefit from dual channel. And you
> know you're looking for an unbuffered, non-ECC DIMM, low density, so
> you're
> not likely to pick some server memory by accident (ECC, registered being
> typical descriptive terms).
>
> Paul


OK maybe I am thinking too much.

Anyway there are 16 chips giving 1 gig so each chip supplies 64meg one way
or another?
Anyway I am not sure I have low density, it might be high but I am confused.


I have 16 chips so each will give 4 bits. x 1024
Or could I have 2 lots of 8 bit chips x 512

ANd does it make a difference?

A quote says
"The low-density means 8bitS of the chips, the High-density means 4bits of
the chips."

But at the end of the day I can only buy what is there and it won't be the
number on my chips.

This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.


Memory Module Properties:
Module Name 128M64K-40C
Serial Number 040413C3h
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh


Not sure if that helps but I will leave it for now I am in no hurry I need
to letthe info sink
in so I am happy before I buy.


I guess I might as well get this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYNIX-2GB-...item46062ad446


Only 20 for 2 gig although no part number, but if they do not work matched
I coud send them back.

I don't know I am going round in circles, not as if I am short of money
either.
YOu can actually see the part number on that HY51264CP8J-D43

EURIKA!!!

If you look at the actual chips on the image if you enlarge it it
says..........HY5D012822CTP-043
So that seems almost identical to then numbers on my chips but the serial
number
on the module is HYMD512646CP8J-D43 AA-A

So.....I think cears it all up.

I said in a previos post "but I am not too sure I see a lot with
HYMD512646DP8J-D43"

So that is it sorted, but you are right I was over braining it but it all
seems to be sorted now
I can either get the one you posted or seveal other with the module serial
number
HYMD512646DP8J-D43" I saw.

So only deciosn is whether to go for buy 1 or 2 gig,

Can I mix single and dual chanel woudl they revert to single channel with 3
gig?

Thanks once again!!



 
Reply With Quote
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k0kgda$5eu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>> "R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:F1iXr.99791$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>>>>> get that one.
>>>>>
>>>> looks like the number is HY5DU128-CTP-043 not HY50U12822CPT-043,
>>>> (note CTP not CPT)
>>>> But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the
>>>> exact same part number I don't think.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Seems it is D43 not 043!!
>>>
>>>
>>> HY5DU12822CTP-D43
>>>
>>> Anyway I wil just buy one of those listed or I will be here forever!!
>>>
>>>

>>
>> I also found an old post to add to the confusion, suggesting my existing
>> 1 gig module
>> is high density, would that make sense and does it tie in with the part
>> number?
>>
>> old post follows.
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Bit of a long story so I will try to summarise.
>> PC came with 256m ram. DDR400 PC3200
>> I bought and exta gig and added into next slot to make 1.25 gig
>> All running well for many years.
>> Then upgraded to a X2 AMD 3800 processor.
>> I think I had reboot with that processor, anyway a month later
>> I got another gig of DDR400 PC3200
>>
>> I had problems adding that, beeps etc.
>> However eventually I got running with the two 1 gig stick in the first
>> two
>> (of 4) slots.
>> However I was getting reboots, about 1 every 4 hours on average
>> (variable)
>>
>> So I went to just the new 1 gig stick i slot 1.
>> That gave a reboot after 1.5 hours
>>
>> So I tried just the old 1 gig stick in slot one - results -beeps!!!
>> I shifted it to slot 2 on a 'hunch' and it booted up correctly.
>>
>> It has not rebbooted on that yet but I have only been running a couple of
>> hours
>> so not long enough to be conclusive.
>>
>> Something I have noticed is that the first 1 gig stick I got appears to
>> be
>> high
>> density, looking with the Everst utility (below) the module name
>> 128M64K-40C
>> suggests it is arranged as high density.
>>
>>
>> However having said that it had been running fine along side what is a
>> 256m
>> low
>> density module as a (rather badly) 'matched pair'
>>
>> This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.
>>
>>
>> Memory Module Properties:
>> Module Name 128M64K-40C
>> Serial Number 040413C3h
>> Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
>> Module Type Unbuffered
>> Memory Type DDR SDRAM
>> Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
>> Module Width 64 bit
>> Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
>> Error Detection Method None
>> Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
>>
>> Memory Timings:
>> @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
>> @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
>> @ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
>>
>> Memory Module Features:
>> Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
>> Auto-Precharge Not Supported
>> Precharge All Not Supported
>> Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
>> Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
>> Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
>> On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
>> Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
>> Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
>> Differential Clock Input Supported
>> Redundant Row Address Not Supported
>>
>> ------------ end of old post - enough confusion for today!!!

>
> 1024 MB (2 ranks)
>
> That looks like low density to me.
>
> And using your decoder PDF, look for the digit that selects
> organization. If the chips are "x8" width, that's low density.
>
> I tried decoding the number you provided in your other post,
> and were you looking at the 256MB module at the time ? Make
> sure you got a chip number off the 1GB module.
>
> Paul


Yes they are x8


http://www.memory4less.net/hy5du12822ctp-d43.html


1GB Hynix 1GB Module DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 non-ECC Unbuffered DDR266 2.5V 128Meg
x 64 Mfr P/N HY5DU12822CTP-D43
Manufacturer Name :
Manufacturer Part # : HY5DU12822CTP-D43

Or rather


http://www.questcomp.com/InventoryPa...5DU12822CTPD43


Part Number:
HY5DU12822CTPD43 Buy Now HY5DU12822CTPD43

Part Description: SDRAM, DDR, 64M x 8, 66 Pin, Plastic, TSSOP

Part Description: SDRAM, DDR, 64M x *8*, 66 Pin, Plastic, TSSOP



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012
R. Giggs. wrote:

>
> So only deciosn is whether to go for buy 1 or 2 gig,
>
> Can I mix single and dual chanel woudl they revert to single channel with 3
> gig?
>
> Thanks once again!!


The photo they took here, is actually two front views. I couldn't figure
out why the little SPD chip wasn't present at first. And then it occurred
to me, they'd taken a picture of the front of the pair of modules, rather
than a front and a back view. Using the DDRMODULE.pdf document, to
decode this, it's a DDR400 3-3-3-8 module. And the "...CP8J", the 8
there says it's made with x8 chips.

http://www.my-technician.co.uk/eBay/...22024-1798.jpg

*******

If you put 2x1GB on one channel and 1GB on the other channel, I
think that will run in virtual single channel mode. So will be
a little slower.

You can test these for yourself, and judge the impact. SuperPI
is an older program. It runs single threaded. It computes the
value of the math constant PI. The larger the number of digits,
the more memory it uses. If you select 1 million digits, I think
that takes 8 megabytes of memory. On processors with extremely
large caches, you want to select a larger number of digits,
so that the cache doesn't have an undue influence. The cache on
your processor, might be in the 1 megabyte neighborhood, so
consuming 8 megabytes of memory while the calculation is running
should be OK.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads..._Mod_v1.5.html

You'd do a run with the 2x1GB installed in dual channel mode.

Then, install the third DIMM. And retest. Taking notes also,
in each case, what CPUZ shows for the BIOS response to the
two different configs. (I.e. Whether the Command Rate is
getting changed, and is different between the two configs.)

The computation time is in seconds. You compare the number
of seconds it took, with each config. If the results are
pretty close, you know you're not paying much of a penalty
by adding the third DIMM. If the results are radically different,
you pull the third DIMM, and run with 2x1GB.

Before using the new memory, don't forget to use the memtest86+
for at least one pass. You can try testing the new modules,
one module at a time. That's to remove the ambiguity, as to which
module is bad, if there are errors. Then, install two modules
together, and do another test. If all three test cases pass,
you're then ready for your first boot into dual channel mode
in Windows.

When you add the third module (your existing RAM),
you can try another memtest86+ run, before booting into Windows.
Again, just to be sure everything is stable.

If you have bad RAM, then boot Windows, there can be eventual
corruption of the registry files. And then, you'd better pray your
System Restore points are in good order (System Restore has
copies of the Registry). I advocate testing the memory,
to reduce the risk. Even with careful testing, at least
one poster had registry corruption, and that happens when
memtest86+ doesn't see a problem, but there is a problem
present never the less. The memory tester isn't the best,
which is why Prime95 (or one of the other burn-in programs),
is better at acceptance testing. You can run Prime95 from a
Linux LiveCD, and that's one way to avoid Windows corruption.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
R. Giggs.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2012

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k0kp4b$7di$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>
>>
>> So only deciosn is whether to go for buy 1 or 2 gig,
>>
>> Can I mix single and dual chanel woudl they revert to single channel
>> with 3 gig?
>>
>> Thanks once again!!

>
> The photo they took here, is actually two front views. I couldn't figure
> out why the little SPD chip wasn't present at first. And then it occurred
> to me, they'd taken a picture of the front of the pair of modules, rather
> than a front and a back view. Using the DDRMODULE.pdf document, to
> decode this, it's a DDR400 3-3-3-8 module. And the "...CP8J", the 8
> there says it's made with x8 chips.
>
> http://www.my-technician.co.uk/eBay/...22024-1798.jpg
>
> *******
>
> If you put 2x1GB on one channel and 1GB on the other channel, I
> think that will run in virtual single channel mode. So will be
> a little slower.
>
> You can test these for yourself, and judge the impact. SuperPI
> is an older program. It runs single threaded. It computes the
> value of the math constant PI. The larger the number of digits,
> the more memory it uses. If you select 1 million digits, I think
> that takes 8 megabytes of memory. On processors with extremely
> large caches, you want to select a larger number of digits,
> so that the cache doesn't have an undue influence. The cache on
> your processor, might be in the 1 megabyte neighborhood, so
> consuming 8 megabytes of memory while the calculation is running
> should be OK.
>
> http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads..._Mod_v1.5.html
>
> You'd do a run with the 2x1GB installed in dual channel mode.
>
> Then, install the third DIMM. And retest. Taking notes also,
> in each case, what CPUZ shows for the BIOS response to the
> two different configs. (I.e. Whether the Command Rate is
> getting changed, and is different between the two configs.)
>
> The computation time is in seconds. You compare the number
> of seconds it took, with each config. If the results are
> pretty close, you know you're not paying much of a penalty
> by adding the third DIMM. If the results are radically different,
> you pull the third DIMM, and run with 2x1GB.
>
> Before using the new memory, don't forget to use the memtest86+
> for at least one pass. You can try testing the new modules,
> one module at a time. That's to remove the ambiguity, as to which
> module is bad, if there are errors. Then, install two modules
> together, and do another test. If all three test cases pass,
> you're then ready for your first boot into dual channel mode
> in Windows.
>
> When you add the third module (your existing RAM),
> you can try another memtest86+ run, before booting into Windows.
> Again, just to be sure everything is stable.
>
> If you have bad RAM, then boot Windows, there can be eventual
> corruption of the registry files. And then, you'd better pray your
> System Restore points are in good order (System Restore has
> copies of the Registry). I advocate testing the memory,
> to reduce the risk. Even with careful testing, at least
> one poster had registry corruption, and that happens when
> memtest86+ doesn't see a problem, but there is a problem
> present never the less. The memory tester isn't the best,
> which is why Prime95 (or one of the other burn-in programs),
> is better at acceptance testing. You can run Prime95 from a
> Linux LiveCD, and that's one way to avoid Windows corruption.
>
> Paul


Thanks, I am think now of buying 3 gig which I can get for about 30
which will not break the bank. I will have to see what is available and
recheck the
serial number and all that now I am pretty confident I know what they all
mean.
Slight risk buying on ebay because you have to ask why they are selling and
if they
may be fauly as happened before.
Also might be better buying from someone who is mot a major seller as I
think
they are less likely so sell faulty stuff.
I think people can cheat the feedback system somewhat, last time when I
returned
my module he said it never arrived he claimed compensation form the post
office!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
boot of "cisco2-C1600" using boot helper "eprom:c1600-boot-r.111-10.AA" failed Pete.Rudolph@gmail.com Cisco 2 06-14-2007 03:41 AM
2970 3750 3760 & Family What do these boot switches do in the boot loader: -n -j -p -c -f -i -m -notnd -notni -post -skip_post -reserve_mem -no_esp_keepalive mickrussom@yahoo.com Cisco 0 11-07-2005 10:23 PM
Differences between Sony Memory Stick & memory Stick Pro vs Memory Stick Duo? zxcvar Digital Photography 3 11-28-2004 10:48 PM
RAID + Dual Boot = Slow or No Boot mhicaoidh Computer Support 0 08-28-2003 03:15 AM
Boot error from copied boot partition Peter Fournia Computer Support 5 07-09-2003 03:00 PM



Advertisments