Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Boot memory problems.

Boot memory problems.

R. Giggs.

Ok I think I posted a long time ago about this but anyway.

My computer was working fine but crashing in warm weather so I decided to
clean
the fan and heatsink, which I did. However when I put it back together I had
boot
problems, either nothing or beeps or whatever.

I thought I might have damaged the CPU somehow, but then looked to memory as
I had touched a stcik removing the CPU power cable.

I eventually got it to boot properly with just one one gig stick in, it
previously
had a 256meg stick in as well but I can't add this 256 meg stick and get it
boot properly, however I did manage to boot it with just the 256 meg stick
in, that was a a very long drawn out affair as you can imagine!!!

So both sticks seems to work but not together.

This is my mobo
http://217.110.237.70/Manuals/7184-englv1.x.pdf

Memeory is on page 18, however confusingly my slots
go blue blue black black

Howveer they show green purple green purple in the pic but refer to
blue and black in the text (page 1.

Now I am pretty sure initially I had 256meg in dimm 1 and 1 gig in dimm 3
I seem to remember I had wanted them the other way around but that was the
only
way I could get them to work. Worth remembering the system came with 256 meg
in dimm 1 so it it used to living in that slow and probably makes better
contact there.

Two thinks seem to happen when I try and use both sticks together, one is
that is gets to what I believe is called the POST screen, which is a blue
screen
with thinks like press F1 to enter set-up, and then just sits there doing
nothing,
normally it only waits there for a short while and then goes to a screen
where
I can select either windows or windows recovery (or ubuntu).

The second case is (IIRC) that it starts booting into windows but crashes at
various stages
(reboots) before booting up. I had put this down to windows trying to make
use
of the dual channel memory at this stage and it not working because the
memory is not matched.

It has helped me a bit typing this in because it has forced me to think more
clearly about things.
I now think that the previous paragraph is wrong, I probably had them in
single channel becuase
it got further in that case. Seems more logical that I was trying to use
dual channel when it stuck
at the post screen, would that make sense?

Currently I am runing with 1 gig in dimm 2 (slot 2), prior to that I was
running with it in
dimm 1 (and before that before the new problem with 1 gig in dimm 1 and 256
in dimm 3.
**Note according to the mobo link this config should not work (it's not
shown anyway!!)
A single moduel should only work in slot 1 or slot 3 not slot 2, *unless* my
slot 2 is really slot 3?
That would kind of make sense if you go by the clour of the slots (not the
position).

It seem to me I shoud be able to add the extra 256meg, I would have to put
it in slot 4
now I think, although according to "colour theory" I can't add another
module with this config.

I guess I will have to have another 'fiddle about' with the memory modules,
I have cleaned the
256 stick a bit which might help.

I will give it a go later but I am wary about messing with it as I was
unable to boot for several hours
after I first got the problem and I only have one working computer, this
one.

I am going to get a new one though, this is 6years old, it's OK but I think
an upgrade is due soon.

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zXTWr.186834$(E-Mail Removed)4...
> [...]
> A single moduel should only work in slot 1 or slot 3 not slot 2, *unless*
> my slot 2 is really slot 3?
> That would kind of make sense if you go by the clour of the slots (not the
> position).
>

> It seem to me I shoud be able to add the extra 256meg, I would have to put
> it in slot 4
> now I think, although according to "colour theory" I can't add another
> module with this config.
>

> I guess I will have to have another 'fiddle about' with the memory
> modules, I have cleaned the
> 256 stick a bit which might help.
>
> I will give it a go later but I am wary about messing with it as I was
> unable to boot for several hours
> after I first got the problem and I only have one working computer, this
> one.
>
> I am going to get a new one though, this is 6years old, it's OK but I

I would add that cleaning the heat sink worked, it was well blokced and the
fan
as on most of the ime before even on very low CPU, it is much better now
the fan only comes on after really heavy cpu usage and sometimes not even
then,
infact when I did get it booted up I had to check I had reconnected the CPU
fan
power becuase it was not coming on at all!!

> [...]

> A single moduel should only work in slot 1 or slot 3 not slot 2, *unless*
> my slot 2 is really slot 3?
> That would kind of make sense if you go by the clour of the slots (not the
> position).
>

> It seem to me I shoud be able to add the extra 256meg, I would have to put
> it in slot 4
> now I think, although according to "colour theory" I can't add another
> module with this config.
>

> I guess I will have to have another 'fiddle about' with the memory
> modules, I have cleaned the
> 256 stick a bit which might help.
>
> I will give it a go later but I am wary about messing with it as I was
> unable to boot for several hours
> after I first got the problem and I only have one working computer, this
> one.
>
> I am going to get a new one though, this is 6years old, it's OK but I

I just eneterd the set-up and it said I had 1 meg in 'module 2' IIRC
so it seems that is dimm2 which is a setup not describe in the manual
so I will have to put it in slot 1 or 3 if I want to add another module.

It dirty inside the computer and it's east to knock black dirt all over the
place including in the slots. I will try a bit of a hoover out but I know
that is
not recommended but I have done it before and it has not damaged it, but I
will
be careful anyway.
It's hard to get at the memory slots because of cables which are covered in
dirt.
I should be braver and disconect some of them, they are all tied together as
well
I guess I shoudl break the ties and tie them myself afterwards.

Next time I get stuck at the setup screen I shall enter it (if I can) I wish
I had tried
that before but I didn't!!

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:
> [...]

> so it seems that is dimm2 which is a setup not describe in the manual
> so I will have to put it in slot 1 or 3 if I want to add another module.
>
> It dirty inside the computer and it's east to knock black dirt all over the
> place including in the slots. I will try a bit of a hoover out but I know
> that is
> not recommended but I have done it before and it has not damaged it, but I
> will
> be careful anyway.
> It's hard to get at the memory slots because of cables which are covered in
> dirt.
> I should be braver and disconect some of them, they are all tied together as
> well
> I guess I shoudl break the ties and tie them myself afterwards.
>
> Next time I get stuck at the setup screen I shall enter it (if I can) I wish

I think you sent three messages. You may have had a clock setting problem
when sending the first message.

In any case, your motherboard is S939 (AMD). Some of the processors used
there, weren't true dual channel. They have a "bias" and that bias is
reflected in the manual, in the memory population table.

Don't worry about the colors. That's just the color of plastic
and doesn't affect operation. Instead, pay attention to the position
of the slots shown in the manual, versus the position of the slots
on the actual motherboard. As long as the motherboard is oriented the
same way as the manual, you should be able to make sense of it.

The table has four columns, corresponding to the four DIMM slots.

The first and third column, are for single channel mode. If you
have only *one* stick of RAM to use, you start by filling the
first and third column. If your DIMMs are mismatched in size
(1GB module plus a 256MB module), then they go in the first and
third slot. That's because, the older AMD processors, need "matched"
size modules for dual channel operation. If you put 1GB in the
first slot and 256MB in the second slot, it's an attempt to run
dual channel, but the amount of RAM doesn't match.

So what that says, is if you're going to use "any ole RAM in the drawer",
you start by filling slot one and slot three. The other slots are useful,
when using carefully matched stuff. So if you had two 1GB modules, each
module having 16 chips on it, you could put those in slot one and slot two.
Or slot three and slot four.

The way the original S939 processors worked, is instead of being
dual channel (independent), they operated like two train locomotives
tied together. They operated in "128 bit mode", the exact same control
bus information goes to both DIMMs. If the DIMMs were mismatched
(two 1GB modules, but one module had 8 chips total, the other module
had 16 chips total), then those modules could not operate in 128 bit
mode, because each module would need different data bursts for RAS/CAS
cycles.

I think you're on the right track. Stick with the slots the modules
have always been located in. If they were in slot one and slot three,
then you can use any combo of the two DIMMs in those two slots.
You could try...

Slot one Slot three
256MB ---
256MB 1GB
--- 1GB
1GB ---
1GB 256MB
--- 256MB

As far as I know, all of those should work.

The other nice thing about the DIMMs being in the slots, is if
you're working in a dirty environment, the DIMM in the slot helps
keep the contacts clean. A little bit. It depends on how mobile
the dirt is, how sticky the mess, as to how fouled the slots
will become when cleaning or moving things around. I'm not a big
fan of abrasive cleaning (pencil erasers, sandpaper, emery cloth),
and instead, I try to use isopropyl alcohol and some kind of cloth
that won't leave a residue later. You would also want to use
ESD precautions while working on the PC, like your antistatic
strap. You connect that to the chassis, and to your wrist, while
working on the chassis.

If I had to blow the dirt around (take PC out back, use the shop
vac in reverse, and blow air into the case), I'd leave the
DIMMs in the DIMM slots, to try to keep the slot clean. There
are many kinds of dirt, and some will be more intrusive than
others (like smoker's film). Static is generated, any time there
is dust in an air stream, so whether you use a vacuum cleaner,
or use a blower in reverse, or a can of Dust Off, there is always
a danger of surface static buildup. And that danger, comes from
the dust you're trying to remove. It moves the static charge.

*******

You should get yourself a memtest86+ floppy, and use that to
test the memory configurations. The program is self-booting and
no OS is required. You could, for example, disconnect all hard
drives and optical drives, and still use memtest86+ via the floppy
drive. Only one complete "pass" on the memtest86+ screen is
required, for a quick check. If there are "stuck-at" faults
on the DIMM, in other words failed memory locations at the
same fixed addresses, they will likely show up in a single pass.
If, on the other hand, the memory faults were transient and
happened at different addresses on each pass, then other test
tools would be needed. Since Windows is crashing at boot, I
think you could have a bad memory location. Scroll down to the
middle of this page, and get a copy of memtest86+ you can use.
Use the best version, based on what devices you know you can
boot from on your computer. If you have a floppy, you can use that.

http://www.memtest.org/

Later AMD processors (Rev.E or later?), have perfectly
flexible memory support, and you can use any combination
of DIMMs in any slots you want with those. But I'm going to
assume you have C0/CG/D0 kinda revision, and so on those,
slot one and slot three "are your friends". Use the nominated
single channel slots, when in doubts about your processor
revision.

HTH,
Paul

R. Giggs.

news:k0hc4t$if9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> If, on the other hand, the memory faults were transient and
> happened at different addresses on each pass, then other test
> tools would be needed. Since Windows is crashing at boot, I
> think you could have a bad memory location. Scroll down to the
> middle of this page, and get a copy of memtest86+ you can use.
> Use the best version, based on what devices you know you can
> boot from on your computer. If you have a floppy, you can use that.
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Later AMD processors (Rev.E or later?), have perfectly
> flexible memory support, and you can use any combination
> of DIMMs in any slots you want with those. But I'm going to
> assume you have C0/CG/D0 kinda revision, and so on those,
> slot one and slot three "are your friends". Use the nominated
> single channel slots, when in doubts about your processor

OK thanks a bunch, just a quick reply to say it is according to cpu-z
BH-E4.
I will reply agian later when I have read it properly

> [...]

> If, on the other hand, the memory faults were transient and
> happened at different addresses on each pass, then other test
> tools would be needed. Since Windows is crashing at boot, I
> think you could have a bad memory location. Scroll down to the
> middle of this page, and get a copy of memtest86+ you can use.
> Use the best version, based on what devices you know you can
> boot from on your computer. If you have a floppy, you can use that.
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Later AMD processors (Rev.E or later?), have perfectly
> flexible memory support, and you can use any combination
> of DIMMs in any slots you want with those. But I'm going to
> assume you have C0/CG/D0 kinda revision, and so on those,
> slot one and slot three "are your friends". Use the nominated
> single channel slots, when in doubts about your processor

Well it looks like I have revision R perhaps

it says Familly F ; Model B; stepping 1;
Ext. Familly F ; Ext Model 2B; Revision BH-4E

But the revision number is confusing, might be B.
However as it is running in an invalid mode (apparently)
that suggests it may be Revision E.

Paul

R. Giggs. wrote:

> OK thanks a bunch, just a quick reply to say it is according to cpu-z
> BH-E4.
> I will reply agian later when I have read it properly

There is a decoder here.

http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-s939-e.html

Third table down, shows some possibilities.

I'm guessing BH-E4 is Rev.E and that has the flexible
memory controller that accepts anything. You should be
able to stick your DIMMs in any slot, and get them to work.

Revision E includes "virtual single channel mode", and with your
unmatched DIMMs, that's the most likely operating mode.

My guess is then, that all your DIMM slots should work.

Now, on with the memtest86+ testing...

Paul

R. Giggs.

"R. Giggs." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6XWr.1274788$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> [...]

>> Use the best version, based on what devices you know you can
>> boot from on your computer. If you have a floppy, you can use that.
>>
>> http://www.memtest.org/
>>
>> Later AMD processors (Rev.E or later?), have perfectly
>> flexible memory support, and you can use any combination
>> of DIMMs in any slots you want with those. But I'm going to
>> assume you have C0/CG/D0 kinda revision, and so on those,
>> slot one and slot three "are your friends". Use the nominated
>> single channel slots, when in doubts about your processor
>> revision.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul

> Well it looks like I have revision R perhaps
>
> it says Familly F ; Model B; stepping 1;
> Ext. Familly F ; Ext Model 2B; Revision BH-4E
>
> But the revision number is confusing, might be B.
> However as it is running in an invalid mode (apparently)

Yes i have read some other post which suggest it it revision E4 ie

================
The normal A64 Venice has two revisions

Venice E3 = DH-E3
Venice E6 = DH-E6

The A64 San Diego is SH-E4

The E4 we're speaking of in this thread is a Manchester.

Manchester = BH-E4
Toledo = JH-E6
===================

So it seems to be a manchester E4.
So given that I shoudl be able to stick the 256meg in any slot and it should
work,
although I have previously tried that, it might be the connection of the
module are a bit
dirty/oxidised.
I have cleaned the contacts a bit with some tissue paper now, which may
help.
I don't have isopropyl alcohol , so if that does not work I might try some
kitchen cleaner - lol..

It has isopropanol gylgol ether in it amongst other things lol. I am not
worried about doing damage
as it dies not work anyway and I don't really think it will do any harm.

My main concern is I do not like fiddling about with it incase I can't
reboot, although I was
messing with it last night and I could always boot with one stick in it, so
I am not overly worrried.

> [...]

>> Use the best version, based on what devices you know you can
>> boot from on your computer. If you have a floppy, you can use that.
>>
>> http://www.memtest.org/
>>
>> Later AMD processors (Rev.E or later?), have perfectly
>> flexible memory support, and you can use any combination
>> of DIMMs in any slots you want with those. But I'm going to
>> assume you have C0/CG/D0 kinda revision, and so on those,
>> slot one and slot three "are your friends". Use the nominated
>> single channel slots, when in doubts about your processor
>> revision.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul

> Well it looks like I have revision R perhaps
>
> it says Familly F ; Model B; stepping 1;
> Ext. Familly F ; Ext Model 2B; Revision BH-4E
>
> But the revision number is confusing, might be B.
> However as it is running in an invalid mode (apparently)

I woudl add it runns fairly well on 1 gig, can't tell the difference much
of the time, it is just that is slows more often when it is low on memory
and has to swap.

R. Giggs.

news:k0hf8b$433$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. Giggs. wrote:
>

>> OK thanks a bunch, just a quick reply to say it is according to cpu-z
>> BH-E4.
>> I will reply agian later when I have read it properly

> There is a decoder here.
>
> http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-s939-e.html
>
> Third table down, shows some possibilities.
>
> I'm guessing BH-E4 is Rev.E and that has the flexible
> memory controller that accepts anything. You should be
> able to stick your DIMMs in any slot, and get them to work.
>
> Revision E includes "virtual single channel mode", and with your
> unmatched DIMMs, that's the most likely operating mode.
>
> My guess is then, that all your DIMM slots should work.
>
> Now, on with the memtest86+ testing...
>
> Paul

Thanks I will give it a go later, I think I have memtest on disk
from when I had earlier problems.

I remember now, I bought a 1 gig stsick, I had to send it back
as memtest showed some problems, or maybe it just showd problems
when I had both sticks in, It was a while back so I can't remember
clearly. I thnk I may have posted about it on here so I will see if I can
find the thread somehow

Here is is, I am Colin Trunt

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...er/slUR_hkG9ag[1-25]