Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: [OT] where is the right NG in english?

Re: [OT] where is the right NG in english?

Joachim Schmitz

io_x wrote:
> Some years ago here in italy, in the gasoline for cars etc,
> they make a change of ingredient, instead of lead [plumb]"piombo"
> they use "benzene"...
>
> i say "benzene" is worst than lead "piombo" but some other
> say is vice versa...
>
> there is some study for say who is right?
> Where I can find the right NG for know something more?
> Thank you

The lead (actually tetraethyllead) in fuel didn't get replaced, just not
added anymore.
Well, partly, as lead was used for two purposes, as valve wear protection
and as antiknock agent.
For the latter purpose alternative additives are used (but I don't think it
is "benzene", whatever that may be in English)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyllead for details.

Whether there is an NG for discussing this I have no idea.

Bye, Jojo

Nick Keighley

On Aug 14, 1:01*pm, "Joachim Schmitz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> io_x wrote:
> > Some years ago here in italy, in the gasoline for cars etc,
> > they make a change of ingredient, instead of lead [plumb]"piombo"
> > they use "benzene"...

> > i say "benzene" is worst than lead "piombo" but some other
> > say is vice versa...

> > there is some study for say who is right?
> > Where I can find the right NG for know something more?
> > Thank you

> The lead (actually tetraethyllead) in fuel didn't get replaced, just not
> added anymore.
> Well, partly, as lead was used for two purposes, as valve wear protection
> and as antiknock agent.
> For the latter purpose alternative additives are used (but I don't think it
> is "benzene", whatever that may be in English)
>
> Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethylleadfor details.
>
> Whether there is an NG for discussing this I have no idea.

chemistry or physics I suppose. Try googling tetraethyllead.

the english for "benzene" is "benzene" and it doesn';t sound a good
ant-knock agent. I understand they reduced the amount of branching in
the carbon chains.

Ah. I googled apparently "aromatic" ("has carbon rings") compounds are
used though benzene isn't mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiknock_agent

then search for a chemistry or environment forum.

Joachim Schmitz

Nick Keighley wrote:
> On Aug 14, 1:01 pm, "Joachim Schmitz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> io_x wrote:
>>> Some years ago here in italy, in the gasoline for cars etc,
>>> they make a change of ingredient, instead of lead [plumb]"piombo"
>>> they use "benzene"...

>>> i say "benzene" is worst than lead "piombo" but some other
>>> say is vice versa...

>>> there is some study for say who is right?
>>> Where I can find the right NG for know something more?
>>> Thank you

>> The lead (actually tetraethyllead) in fuel didn't get replaced, just
>> not added anymore.
>> Well, partly, as lead was used for two purposes, as valve wear
>> protection and as antiknock agent.
>> For the latter purpose alternative additives are used (but I don't
>> think it is "benzene", whatever that may be in English)
>>
>> Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethylleadfor details.
>>
>> Whether there is an NG for discussing this I have no idea.

> chemistry or physics I suppose. Try googling tetraethyllead.
>
> the english for "benzene" is "benzene" and it doesn';t sound a good
> ant-knock agent. I understand they reduced the amount of branching in
> the carbon chains.

Ah, Benzol in German.