Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

anthonycwmak@gmail.com

> > http://.../category/java-tutorials/java-logging-apis/

> What has logging API's to do with this question??

I was wondering the same.
Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated postings.

Anthony

Lew

On 08/19/2012 10:05 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> http://.../category/java-tutorials/java-logging-apis/

>> What has logging API's to do with this question??

> I was wondering the same.
> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated postings.

You must be using Google Groups.

Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that duplicates
old messages.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:26:38 -0700, Lew wrote:

>>> What has logging API's to do with this question??

>> I was wondering the same.
>> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
>> postings.

> You must be using Google Groups.

Not necessarily.

I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows repeated
To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.

> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
> duplicates old messages.

Two thoughts:

- what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.

I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it was
doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.

- I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing this
odd duplication bug.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:48:44 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

>>> I was wondering the same.
>>> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
>>> postings.

>> You must be using Google Groups.
>>

> Not necessarily.
>
> I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
> the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows
> repeated To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.
>

>> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
>> duplicates old messages.
>>

> Two thoughts:
>
> - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
> an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.
>
> I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it
> was doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.
>
> - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing
> this
> odd duplication bug.

I think I've found the source: every duplicate message I've looked at in
any detail has duplicated trailers in the message text: the number of
these trailers matches the number of leading To:/From: pairs and all have
this form:

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/3
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98 Time Warp of the Future BBS -
telnet://time.synchro.net:24

Does anybody know anything about synchro.net? The domain is registered to:
Rob Swindell
330 Latigo Ct.
Norco Hills, California 92860
United States

I've emailed him about this.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Lew

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> anthonycwmak... wrote:

.. . .
>>> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
>>> postings.

>> You must be using Google Groups.

> Not necessarily.
>
> I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
> the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows repeated
> To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.

>> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
>> duplicates old messages.

> Two thoughts:
>
> - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
> an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.

There were some posts at around the time this all started announcing the
"new service" and someone else mentioning the infamous NewsMaestro
spamware.

> I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it was
> doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.
>
> - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing this
> odd duplication bug.

That's evidence of malice-aforethought 'ware.

If the other hints are relevant, that is.

--
Lew

Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:01:52 -0700, Lew wrote:

> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Lew wrote:
>>> anthonycwmak... wrote:

> . . .
>>>
>>> You must be using Google Groups.

>> Not necessarily.
>>
>> I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
>> the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows
>> repeated To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.

>>> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
>>> duplicates old messages.

>> Two thoughts:
>>
>> - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
>> an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.

> There were some posts at around the time this all started announcing the
> "new service" and someone else mentioning the infamous NewsMaestro
> spamware.
>
>> I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it
>> was doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.
>>
>> - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing
>> this
>> odd duplication bug.

> That's evidence of malice-aforethought 'ware.
>
> If the other hints are relevant, that is.

In support of that, the e-mail address used in the domain's whois is
rejected. However, as the registrar is GoDaddy, I suspect that would not
be considered unusual.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK