Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Swing

Swing

bob smith

Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally been replaced by something better?

markspace

On 8/13/2012 8:04 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it
> finally been replaced by something better?

Swing is still your only real choice, as far as I know. JavaFX is up
can coming, but to quote Gertrude Stein, "there is no there there."

JavaFX appears to only be about half baked; you can do some things with
it, but not everything Swing can do. It's not really a mature platform
yet. Still worth knowing about for a Java developer, as Oracle could
make it ready just about any time now.

Arne Vajh°j

On 8/13/2012 11:04 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally been replaced by something better?

Swing is the safe choice as it is mature and has been part of Java SE
for about a decade.

If you want more native look and feel and can live with only support
on major desktop platforms then you can go for SWT.

If you want a modern (*) GUI development platform and can live with
only support on major desktop platforms then you can go for JavaFX.

As JavaFX is planned to be part of Java SE 8, then if you are looking
at long term, then JavaFX seems as something you need to look into.

*) Newer does not guarantee better, but given that SUN/Oracle (JavaFX),
Adobe (Flex) and MS (WPF & SL) all went for the model with XML markup
and code, then maybe it is better!

Arne

Roedy Green

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:04:33 -0700 (PDT), bob smith
who said :

>Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally been replaced by something better?

Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light,
but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
~ Max Planck 1858-04-23 1947-10-04

Jeff Higgins

On 08/14/2012 08:47 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:04:33 -0700 (PDT), bob smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>
>> Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally been replaced by something better?

> Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
> does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

I've been spending some time exploring JavaFX.
Will you please expand on your comment that
[JavaFX] does not integrate?

Arne Vajh°j

On 8/16/2012 5:14 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
> "Roedy Green" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
>> does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

> Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly?

Roedy probably just made it up.

You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.

> JavaFX is just another Java
> API, is now included as part of the JDK (as of 7 Update 6),
> interoperates seamlessly with Swing, works with all standard Java SE
> packages, works well with other JVM-based languages and has some very,
> very impressive features.

JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.

> If you want to develop new GUI apps with Java
> then JavaFX is a "no brainer" as they say in the states.
>
> Swing will hang around for a long time yet but is not being actively
> developed by Oracle anymore and good luck trying to get any bugs in it
> fixed. They are pouring an enormous amount of resources into JavaFX and
> rightly so - it's great technology.
>
> IMHO you'd be nuts to start a new project with Swing instead of FX.

JavaFX is certainly worth considering.

But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not
available yet.

Arne

markspace

On 8/18/2012 9:55 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
> (so no JIT as executable memory is not supported on iOS or
> Metro for that matter)

Just curious: Metro = Windows 8? Because there's a few other Metros
floating around, and Microsoft has officially dropped the name Metro for
their new OS.

Arne Vajh°j

On 8/19/2012 12:55 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j" wrote in message
> news:502ef432$0$282$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>> Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly?

>> Roedy probably just made it up.
>>
>> You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.

> We you are probably right but it's just such a ridiculous comment as one
> of JavaFX's strongest selling points is its ability to integrate.
> Perhaps Roedy is thinking of the old JavaFX versions 1.x when it wasn't
> a Java API and relied on a proprietary new language named JavaFX
> Script. JavaFX 2.x is completely different and, as I said, integrates
> with anything JVM-based.

Even JavaFX 1.x could integrate with Swing and Java code.

>> JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.

> Yes, it is based on a completely new hardware accelerated graphics
> engine named Prism and new windowing toolkit named Glass. It is
> feature-rich and fast. The properties and binding framework on its own
> is worth the price of admission. The number of standard controls is
> growing constantly and includes a WebKit-based WebView control that
> supports HTML 5 and CSS 3 and JavaScript, a Canvas control similar to
> HTML 5 Canvas, video and audio playback controls, a vast array of
> charts, animations and transitions and a very good set of more
> common/basic widgets for form development. And if they aren't enough,
> there are several ways to roll your own. Features coming up in the next
> major release (which will be named JavaFX 8.0 as it is now aligned with
> JDK versions) include full 3D support.

Do you work for Oracle JavaFX marketing?

Well - it is newer and the split in FXML and Java code is very nice.

To some extent it can be viewed as the equivalent of going from servlet
to JSP to output HTML.

>> JavaFX is certainly worth considering.
>>
>> But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not
>> available yet.

> As of Java 7 Update 6 JavaFX is now supported on Windows (at least
> Windows XP, Windows 2008, Windows 7), MacOS X and Linux and also runs on
> some ARM based systems like Raspberry Pi. In addition, Oracle is doing
> a significant amount of work on getting it to run on iOS and Android and
> have demonstrated it on these platforms several times in recent months.

Yes.

But there are still a few using other platforms.

And a lot that is stuck on older Java versions.

For various reasons.

But I agree that if one has the choice then JavaFX should be
preferred over Swing.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 8/19/2012 1:05 PM, markspace wrote:
> On 8/18/2012 9:55 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
>> (so no JIT as executable memory is not supported on iOS or
>> Metro for that matter)

> Just curious: Metro = Windows 8? Because there's a few other Metros
> floating around, and Microsoft has officially dropped the name Metro for
> their new OS.

I suspect he means WP8 not Win8.

Arne

markspace

On 8/19/2012 1:04 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:

> I suspect he means WP8 not Win8.

OK, so again please excuse my acronym ignorance, but what is WP8?
WordPerfect 8?