Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Windows: Rakudo-Star Perl6 now available as *.msi

Windows: Rakudo-Star Perl6 now available as *.msi

Dilbert

Hello everybody,

I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6, but
I couldn't get the installation / compile from source to run on my
Windows 7 box (32 bits). I grew more and more frustrated.

Then I came across a posting "Windows .msi available for Rakudo Star
2012.07" by pmichaud on http://rakudo.org/2012/07/30/windows...-star-2012-07/
and I installed the Rakudo *.msi file (which is a really simple one-
click installation process) and it worked perfectly.

I thought that Windows people on comp.lang.perl.misc are interested to
know that they too can now run Rakudo-Star Perl 6.

>> Windows .msi available for Rakudo Star 2012.07
>> Posted on 2012.07.30 by pmichaud
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that starting with the
>> current Rakudo Star release (2012.07), we will
>> now be providing Windows .msi distributions with
>> precompiled binaries for Rakudo Star. The .msi
>> distribution is available in the same location as
>> other Rakudo Star releases, at
>> https://github.com/rakudo/star/downloads/ .
>>
>> On this site, on IRC, and at YAPC::NA 2012 I heard
>> many people comment that Windows users really
>> wanted a binary install option. We’ve occasionally
>> done .msi and .exe installers for Rakudo Star
>> releases in the past, but didn't have any dedicated
>> tools or sufficient environments to be able to
>> produce them consistently each month. So, this month
>> I dedicated some time to create scripts and tools
>> that can automate much of the process of building .msi
>> distributions from the Rakudo Star release tarballs.
>> Over the next couple of weeks I will be documenting
>> the process so that others can hopefully follow it
>> as well. With the new tools in place I think we’ll be
>> able to consistently provide Rakudo .msi distributions
>> within a few days (if not hours) of each monthly
>> tarball release.
>>
>> (At this time I can’t guarantee that .msi files will
>> always be published at the same time as the standard
>> tarballs, because some monthly release managers may
>> not have access to a suitable Widnows environments for
>> building the .msi. Bear with us while we work out the
>> full release details. )
>>
>> This is still a newish process for us, so if you
>> encounter any problems with the .msi distribution, let
>> us know on IRC #perl6, file a bug ticket, or send a
>> note to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed).
>>
>> Enjoy!

Tim McDaniel

Dilbert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6

I've certainly heard of the Perl 6 effort. How's it coming in
general? As for "Rakudo-Star Perl 6" in particular, how useful is it
-- mostly featureful or only a few? production quality or buggy?

--
Tim McDaniel, (E-Mail Removed)

Dilbert

On 14 août, 17:56, (E-Mail Removed) (Tim McDaniel) wrote:
> Dilbert *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6

> I've certainly heard of the Perl 6 effort. *How's it coming in
> general? *As for "Rakudo-Star Perl 6" in particular, how useful is it
> -- mostly featureful or only a few? *production quality or buggy?

I am just a beginner perl 6 user (and an average perl 5 user), but
judging by the comments of http://rakudo.org/ I would say that "Rakudo-
Star Perl 6" is useful but not yet production quality. I don't think
it is buggy, but some features are missing, see also
http://rakudo.org/2012/07/28/rakudo-...2-07-released/

++ There are some key features of Perl 6 that
++ Rakudo Star does not yet handle appropriately,
++ although they will appear in upcoming releases.
++ Some of the not-quite-there features include:
++
++ * macros
++ * threads and concurrency
++ * Unicode strings at levels other than codepoints
++ * interactive readline that understands Unicode
++ * non-blocking I/O
++ * much of Synopsis 9
++
++ There is a new online resource at
++ http://perl6.org/compilers/features that lists
++ the known implemented and missing features of
++ Rakudo Star 2012.07 and other Perl 6 implementations.

Perl6 on Ruby (redsix) Vlad GALU Ruby 0 02-15-2007 07:01 AM
Perl6::Form formatting question ugly Perl 0 10-18-2004 04:09 AM
[ann] regexp-engine-0.8, perl5 + some perl6 Simon Strandgaard Ruby 5 04-22-2004 02:01 PM
perl6 grammar rules in ruby Charles Comstock Ruby 18 03-05-2004 03:16 PM
Perl6.NET? Kiwi Perl 1 10-20-2003 06:17 AM

Advertisments