Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: D300 Problems - What went wrong?

Re: D300 Problems - What went wrong?

Me

On 10/08/2012 8:21 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:

In the early days of the D300, there were quite a few reports of "Dead
Battery Syndrome" in DPReview forum. Several posters reported great
success using a contact cleaning/conditioning formula marketed as
"Deoxit" on the battery and terminals.
Your problem doesn't sound at all like "Dead Battery Syndrome". I was
also very skeptical of claims made about some snake-oil.
However, our of sheer frustration dealing with intermittent poor
contacts in other electronic equipment repairs, I bought some of this
stuff (kit of Deoxit "red" and "gold"). It's expensive. It has worked
extremely well for me. I can't provide any objective "proof" that it
works (ie better than anything else), just that it /seems/ to be much
more effective than anything else I've tried for dealing with things
like dodgy chip connectors, miniature ribbon cable connectors, noisy
contacts in assorted audio devices etc.
I have a D300, but haven't had anything like the problem you describe.
if I did, the first thing I would try would be some deoxit on the lens
and body electronic contacts.
Sorry - this probably reads a bit like a shill post from a snake-oil
salesman, and "toolkit in a can" type claims are common and dubious. I'm
not connected to the people who make deoxit in any way.

Me

On 13/08/2012 5:04 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:56:41 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/08/2012 8:21 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:
>>
>> In the early days of the D300, there were quite a few reports of "Dead
>> Battery Syndrome" in DPReview forum. Several posters reported great
>> success using a contact cleaning/conditioning formula marketed as
>> "Deoxit" on the battery and terminals.
>> Your problem doesn't sound at all like "Dead Battery Syndrome". I was
>> also very skeptical of claims made about some snake-oil.
>> However, our of sheer frustration dealing with intermittent poor
>> contacts in other electronic equipment repairs, I bought some of this
>> stuff (kit of Deoxit "red" and "gold"). It's expensive. It has worked
>> extremely well for me. I can't provide any objective "proof" that it
>> works (ie better than anything else), just that it /seems/ to be much
>> more effective than anything else I've tried for dealing with things
>> like dodgy chip connectors, miniature ribbon cable connectors, noisy
>> contacts in assorted audio devices etc.
>> I have a D300, but haven't had anything like the problem you describe.
>> if I did, the first thing I would try would be some deoxit on the lens
>> and body electronic contacts.
>> Sorry - this probably reads a bit like a shill post from a snake-oil
>> salesman, and "toolkit in a can" type claims are common and dubious. I'm
>> not connected to the people who make deoxit in any way.

> I accept your claim re Deoxit. It is not commonly known that gold will
> form a thin oxide film at relative humidities above 80%. This is why
> 80% RH is one of the environmental specificatons for computerised
> equipment.

Yes - I don't think the D300 has gold plated lens contacts on the body
mount though - they look silver coloured to me, but it's evening and I'm
looking under artificial light.
That said - I haven't had a problem with the camera at all in 5 years.
It has survived being tossed from a 1.8m high shelf, landing on a wooden
floor, and bouncing off the far wall, with only loss of some paint on
the "qual" button which must have hit something else on the way, during
rather an interesting earthquake. The lens that was mounted on it was
smashed beyond repair, but I used the camera over the next few days to
take photos of our house, which was substantially destroyed, the photos
have come in handy for insurance purposes.
It also survived 5 years with about 6 weeks a year on our yacht, a rogue
wave dumping on it about 3 years ago with the only immediate option
being to run the fresh water tap over the body, pat it with a towel, and
leave it to dry.
It has that "well used" look, but still functions "as new". I figure
that it owes me nothing now, and was a good purchase.

> As for the cause of the fault: I've established that and spelled it
> out in a separate article.

I didn't read that post - sorted I hope?

otter

On Aug 13, 2:44*am, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 13/08/2012 5:04 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:

> > As for the cause of the fault: I've established that and spelled it
> > out in a separate article.

> I didn't read that post - sorted I hope?

Yeah, I missed that as well. Can you give a link? Just curious what
you diagnosed the problem to be.