Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Pro photojournalist uses iPhone to shoot the Olympics

Re: Pro photojournalist uses iPhone to shoot the Olympics

RichA

On Aug 10, 5:54*pm, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This professional photojournalist decided to use just an iPhone and
> some add-on lens gadgets to shoot the Olympics. Looking at the photos,
> you'd never know they were shot by a portable phone:
>
> http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/08...ics-with-three...
>
> This is just more proof that, as technology advances, the only thing
> separating pros from amateurs is the photographer's own skill and talent.

He and you are fools.

RichA

On Aug 10, 11:45*pm, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA writes:
> > He and you are fools.

> I'm sure he's walking foolishly all the way to the bank.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average
American. Or their taste.

RichA

On Aug 11, 9:51*pm, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> George Kerby writes:
> > Are you KIDDING?!?

> Not at all.
>
> > For WHOM?

> > Name anyone who would buy such crap, please?

> His employer has already bought it and sold it. You don't think those photos
> are being passed around for free, do you?

Lets hope not. It might help limit their spread.

Joe Kotroczo

On 12/08/2012 02:51, Mxsmanic wrote:
> George Kerby writes:
>
>> Are you KIDDING?!?

> Not at all.
>
>> For WHOM?
>>
>> Name anyone who would buy such crap, please?

> His employer has already bought it and sold it. You don't think those photos
> are being passed around for free, do you?

This is the same guy who's announced that photojournalism is dead:

<http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9982656990/no-future-in-photojournalism-interview-dan-chung>

--
Illegitimi non carborundum

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is the same guy who's announced that photojournalism is dead:

Given what is happening to newspapers, I wouldn't advise any high
school grads to go into journalism, photo or written. Even on
news websites, I find more and more of the stories are in the form
of video clips without even a written summary, and any photos that
appear are briefly shown behind the pretty talking head.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

Bryan

Mxsmanic wrote:
> RichA writes:
> > He and you are fools.

> I'm sure he's walking foolishly all the way to the bank.

Uh, Mxsmanic, do you realize who profits from the article you linked
in your opening post?

Chris Malcolm

Paul Ciszek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>This is the same guy who's announced that photojournalism is dead:

> Given what is happening to newspapers, I wouldn't advise any high
> school grads to go into journalism, photo or written. Even on
> news websites, I find more and more of the stories are in the form
> of video clips without even a written summary, and any photos that
> appear are briefly shown behind the pretty talking head.

Ah yes, short video clips are ousting photographs in TV news and
on-line news sites. Wouldn't it be handy for news photographers if
there were exchangeable lens camera models which would do good quality
video clips as well as stills using your existing lenses?

Wait a minute, there are several such cameras, and it's a rapidly
growing market segment! And some news photographers are using them to
do short video clips as well as photographs. In fact didn't someone
post some advice here several weeks ago from a well known news
photographer who was shifting into short news video clips and advising
aspiring news photographers to do the same?

--
Chris Malcolm

Whisky-dave

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:29:37 AM UTC+1, Chris Malcolm wrote:
> Paul Ciszek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>This is the same guy who's announced that photojournalism is dead:

> > Given what is happening to newspapers, I wouldn't advise any high

> > school grads to go into journalism, photo or written. Even on

> > news websites, I find more and more of the stories are in the form

> > of video clips without even a written summary, and any photos that

> > appear are briefly shown behind the pretty talking head.

> Ah yes, short video clips are ousting photographs in TV news and
>
> on-line news sites.

Well it;'s difficult to put photographers on on-line sights, I mean you have to take them 'process' and scan them. why not just use an electronic version of teh image in the first place like from a phone, you can automatically include location and time.

"Wouldn't it be handy for news photographers if

> there were exchangeable lens camera models which would do good quality
>
> video clips as well as stills using your existing lenses?

wouldn't it be a good idea to have reporters, photographers, jounalists, blog writers, and public seperated in what they do.

> Wait a minute, there are several such cameras, and it's a rapidly
>
> growing market segment! And some news photographers are using them to
>
> do short video clips as well as photographs.

Well why use a 'normal' camera it's not likme you can add text or send a supporting stroy to your editor from a camera, get yourself an iPad

>In fact didn't someone
>
> post some advice here several weeks ago from a well known news
>
> photographer who was shifting into short news video clips and advising
>
> aspiring news photographers to do the same?

Well in most cases news is moving, few peole live in a still world and few still photographs give you the added information of bombs and sniper fire which is raley noticed in a photo, but in a video it's far more apparent what is happening even if the subject isn;t in the frame at that point in time..

So for me genraly speaking a news photograhper is better with a moving image, where as a photogrpather is best at capturing a frozen event in time news is rarely that.

> --
>
> Chris Malcolm

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bryan writes:

>> Uh, Mxsmanic, do you realize who profits from the article you linked
>> in your opening post?

> If _anyone_ profits, then the pictures are good.

The "if anyone profits from a scam, then it's not a scam" logic.

-Wolfgang