Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: [GENERAL] Postgres and Upstart

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres and Upstart

Chris Angelico

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Albe Laurenz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>> I'm looking for a reliable way to be sure that Postgres has finished
>> its initialization and is ready to rumble.

> The normal way to test this is a connection attempt.
> You could also look into the server logs for the
> appropriate message, but that seems more fragile and difficult.

Yeah, I can poll it, and that's what I do in a couple of places; but
somewhere in the code, it probably "knows" that it's ready. I can keep
doing what I'm doing, but was hoping for an event-driven approach.

Thanks!

ChrisA