Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox 1.0 customization

Firefox 1.0 customization

jcat01

I used to be on Opera fan but since I download FF 1.0 I am very happy with
it and am about to switch, keeping Opera as a second choice.
My FF runs under W98 SE, and I customized it with a few extensions.
However, some problems remain:

1) A very nice feature in Opera is the ability to save/retrieve multiple
pages in a so-called "session". Moreover, when Opera crashes, it gives you
the choice to restart with a blank page, your homepage or where it hung up,
and it retrieves your windows even if it is offline.
Is it possible to do so in Firefox? I tested an extension names
"SessionSaver", which has many good features, but:
- it does not comply with rules of the Bookmark Manager of Firefox 1.0
- it leads to some incompatility with another extension I use "TabBrowser
Preferences": I cannot close the last window, and thus it always starts
with the last window.
- "SessionSaver" is quite hard to uninstall completely, although I finally
did it.
Solution ?

2) As mentioned in someone else's post, impossibility to use RSS Live
Bookmarks for my own sites. I always get the feeds for BBC, and I can't get
rid of it.

3) Maybe it is a Windows problem and not a Firefox one. Using TabBrowser
preferences, I have been able to open "external" links (those you click
from your email program for instance) in a new tab rather than in a new
window. However, it would be nice if the focus remained on the email
program (for example) and not be set on Firefox. How can I do this ?

4) Does anybody know how to change the icon of Windows that Firefox appears
with in the toolbar of Windows, or when you use the Alt+Tab Combination ?

Leonidas Jones

jcat01 wrote:
> I used to be on Opera fan but since I download FF 1.0 I am very happy with
> it and am about to switch, keeping Opera as a second choice.
> My FF runs under W98 SE, and I customized it with a few extensions.
> However, some problems remain:
>
> 1) A very nice feature in Opera is the ability to save/retrieve multiple
> pages in a so-called "session". Moreover, when Opera crashes, it gives you
> the choice to restart with a blank page, your homepage or where it hung up,
> and it retrieves your windows even if it is offline.
> Is it possible to do so in Firefox? I tested an extension names
> "SessionSaver", which has many good features, but:
> - it does not comply with rules of the Bookmark Manager of Firefox 1.0
> - it leads to some incompatility with another extension I use "TabBrowser
> Preferences": I cannot close the last window, and thus it always starts
> with the last window.
> - "SessionSaver" is quite hard to uninstall completely, although I finally
> did it.
> Solution ?

Tab Browser Extensions gives you this, as well as Multizilla. Never use
both of them at the same time though, and I know there are
incompatibilities between TBE and TBP. Don't know about Multizilla,
since I don't use it, don't even know if its available for FF.

> 2) As mentioned in someone else's post, impossibility to use RSS Live
> Bookmarks for my own sites. I always get the feeds for BBC, and I can't get
> rid of it.

I'm going to play around with this when I get a chance. Try editing
bookmarks.html with an html editor. Backup your file first though.

> 3) Maybe it is a Windows problem and not a Firefox one. Using TabBrowser
> preferences, I have been able to open "external" links (those you click
> from your email program for instance) in a new tab rather than in a new
> window. However, it would be nice if the focus remained on the email
> program (for example) and not be set on Firefox. How can I do this ?

No idea if TBP can do this, but TBE can. Its a massive extension, and
some people hate it, but there are things you can do with it that you
can't get any other way.

> 4) Does anybody know how to change the icon of Windows that Firefox appears
> with in the toolbar of Windows, or when you use the Alt+Tab Combination ?

This doesn't happen in XP, but is a problem in 98/ME. To get around it,
go to your FF program folder in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox. In
the chrome subfolder, create a subfolder called icons. IN that create
another subfolder called default. Get a hold of the FF icon, a little
utility called Icon Sucker will get it from firefox.exe if you can't get
it another way. Make a copy of this icon, and name it main-window.ico.
Place this icon in the chrome\icons\default folder.\

Lee

Jay Catter

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:OMe8d.663670$(E-Mail Removed):

> jcat01 wrote:
>> I used to be on Opera fan but since I download FF 1.0 I am very happy
>> with it and am about to switch, keeping Opera as a second choice.
>> My FF runs under W98 SE, and I customized it with a few extensions.
>> However, some problems remain:
>>
>> 1) A very nice feature in Opera is the ability to save/retrieve
>> multiple pages in a so-called "session". Moreover, when Opera
>> crashes, it gives you the choice to restart with a blank page, your
>> homepage or where it hung up, and it retrieves your windows even if
>> it is offline. Is it possible to do so in Firefox? I tested an
>> extension names "SessionSaver", which has many good features, but:
>> - it does not comply with rules of the Bookmark Manager of Firefox
>> 1.0 - it leads to some incompatility with another extension I use
>> "TabBrowser Preferences": I cannot close the last window, and thus it
>> always starts with the last window.
>> - "SessionSaver" is quite hard to uninstall completely, although I
>> finally did it.
>> Solution ?

> Tab Browser Extensions gives you this, as well as Multizilla. Never
> use both of them at the same time though, and I know there are
> incompatibilities between TBE and TBP. Don't know about Multizilla,
> since I don't use it, don't even know if its available for FF.

I'll test TBE thoroughly as soon as I'll have prepared a test
environment.I don't want to lose my settings with the other extensions !

>> 2) As mentioned in someone else's post, impossibility to use RSS Live
>> Bookmarks for my own sites. I always get the feeds for BBC, and I
>> can't get rid of it.
>>

> I'm going to play around with this when I get a chance. Try editing
> bookmarks.html with an html editor. Backup your file first though.

I tried to understand how it works first. But it sems I get the feeds from
BBC even when I don't have the string "BBC" in any of the files of Firefox.
Is there any sort of "subscription" to a site each time you click the RSS
field, but if it were true, how can you cancel it. The way RSS works is
very mysterious to me !

>> 3) Maybe it is a Windows problem and not a Firefox one. Using
>> TabBrowser preferences, I have been able to open "external" links
>> (those you click from your email program for instance) in a new tab
>> rather than in a new window. However, it would be nice if the focus
>> remained on the email program (for example) and not be set on
>> Firefox. How can I do this ?
>>

> No idea if TBP can do this, but TBE can. Its a massive extension, and
> some people hate it, but there are things you can do with it that you
> can't get any other way.
>

>> 4) Does anybody know how to change the icon of Windows that Firefox
>> appears with in the toolbar of Windows, or when you use the Alt+Tab
>> Combination ?

> This doesn't happen in XP, but is a problem in 98/ME. To get around
> it, go to your FF program folder in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.
> In the chrome subfolder, create a subfolder called icons. IN that
> create another subfolder called default. Get a hold of the FF icon, a
> little utility called Icon Sucker will get it from firefox.exe if you
> can't get it another way. Make a copy of this icon, and name it
> main-window.ico.
> Place this icon in the chrome\icons\default folder.\

Thank you. It did the job ! I fixed the icon of the program manager too,
using bookmark-window.ico in the same folder.

> Lee

.brian.

(On 10/5/2004 3:44 AM) Jay Catter wrote:
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>jcat01 wrote:
>>
>>>2) As mentioned in someone else's post, impossibility to use RSS Live
>>>Bookmarks for my own sites. I always get the feeds for BBC, and I
>>>can't get rid of it.
>>>

>>I'm going to play around with this when I get a chance. Try editing
>>bookmarks.html with an html editor. Backup your file first though.
>>

> I tried to understand how it works first. But it sems I get the feeds from
> BBC even when I don't have the string "BBC" in any of the files of Firefox.
> Is there any sort of "subscription" to a site each time you click the RSS
> field, but if it were true, how can you cancel it. The way RSS works is
> very mysterious to me !

That's strange. You don't have a bluish live-bookmark labeled 'BBC
NEWS' anywhere in your Bookmarks list?

As for use:

When you click the 'RSS' icon in FF, you are shown the feeds that are
available from the website. Click on the one you want, and it is added
to the 'Bookmarks Folder' (or whatever bookmark location you choose).

You can delete the feed by opening the 'Bookmarks Manager' and deleting
the live-bookmark. You can also right-click and select 'delete' from
the Bookmarks menu.

To view the 'feed', open View >> Sidebar >> Bookmarks, and find the
live-bookmark folder (ex. Slashdot, BBS, etc.) and expand it to see the
latest 'headlines'. Or you can simply view them from the 'Bookmarks' menu.

For ease of use, I'd recommend making a special folder such as 'RSS
Feeds', and moving all your live-bookmarks to it. You'll also want to
move this 'special folder' to the top of the list if you are like me,
and have a lot of bookmarks.

This is definitely not a very powerful tool. If this is a feature you
are really interested in, then I'd recommend getting a stand-alone
client or the _Sage_ extension [http://sage.mozdev.org/].

FWIW, I'd almost rather view RSS feeds in TB than FF. I really don't
like reading RSS feeds via FF unless it's with Sage. But that has it's
disadvantages too; it's definitely not as easy to add a feed in TB, plus
it just seems odd reading RSS feeds in my mail/news client.

Hopefully some of that information helps

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Leonidas Jones

..brian. wrote:
> (On 10/5/2004 3:44 AM) Jay Catter wrote:

>>> I'm going to play around with this when I get a chance. Try editing
>>> bookmarks.html with an html editor. Backup your file first though.
>>>

>> I tried to understand how it works first. But it sems I get the feeds
>> from BBC even when I don't have the string "BBC" in any of the files
>> of Firefox. Is there any sort of "subscription" to a site each time
>> you click the RSS field, but if it were true, how can you cancel it.
>> The way RSS works is very mysterious to me !

> That's strange. You don't have a bluish live-bookmark labeled 'BBC
> NEWS' anywhere in your Bookmarks list?
>
> As for use:
>
> When you click the 'RSS' icon in FF, you are shown the feeds that are
> available from the website. Click on the one you want, and it is added
> to the 'Bookmarks Folder' (or whatever bookmark location you choose).
>
> You can delete the feed by opening the 'Bookmarks Manager' and deleting
> the live-bookmark. You can also right-click and select 'delete' from
> the Bookmarks menu.
>
> To view the 'feed', open View >> Sidebar >> Bookmarks, and find the
> live-bookmark folder (ex. Slashdot, BBS, etc.) and expand it to see the
> latest 'headlines'. Or you can simply view them from the 'Bookmarks' menu.
>
> For ease of use, I'd recommend making a special folder such as 'RSS
> Feeds', and moving all your live-bookmarks to it. You'll also want to
> move this 'special folder' to the top of the list if you are like me,
> and have a lot of bookmarks.
>
> This is definitely not a very powerful tool. If this is a feature you
> are really interested in, then I'd recommend getting a stand-alone
> client or the _Sage_ extension [http://sage.mozdev.org/].
>
> FWIW, I'd almost rather view RSS feeds in TB than FF. I really don't
> like reading RSS feeds via FF unless it's with Sage. But that has it's
> disadvantages too; it's definitely not as easy to add a feed in TB, plus
> it just seems odd reading RSS feeds in my mail/news client.
>
> Hopefully some of that information helps

As I said in a previous response, I have not seen the default bookmarks
in FF for quite a while, since I import my custom bookmarks. I did take
a look at this tonight, guided by Brian's excellent post.

To cut to the chase, and answer the OP's original question, you can't
delete the individual listings in Latest Headlines, since they are fed
by the RSS. That's what the OP was cleary trying to do. However, you can
delete the entire Latest Headline's folder, and recreate it with your
own RSS selections.

Sorry to jump in Brian, but I thought the Cliff Notes version might help
a little.

Lee

Jay Catter

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:E1H8d.493729$(E-Mail Removed):

> As I said in a previous response, I have not seen the default
> bookmarks in FF for quite a while, since I import my custom bookmarks.
> I did take a look at this tonight, guided by Brian's excellent post.
>
> To cut to the chase, and answer the OP's original question, you can't
> delete the individual listings in Latest Headlines, since they are fed
> by the RSS. That's what the OP was cleary trying to do. However, you
> can delete the entire Latest Headline's folder, and recreate it with
> your own RSS selections.
>
> Sorry to jump in Brian, but I thought the Cliff Notes version might
> help a little.
>
> Lee

Everything is OK now. Thanks