Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Question on travel insurance

Question on travel insurance

John S

(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
internet

My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
reunion.

I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
sites.

Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.

However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.

Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
but I don't see where it is.

Any experienced travellers out there?

If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
geriatric globe-hoppers?

Cheers,

John S.

Rich80105@hotmail.com

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:22:13 +1200, John S <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
>internet
>
>My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
>reunion.
>
>I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
>I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
>merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
>sites.
>
>Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
>be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
>However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
>it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
>days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
>Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
>Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
>but I don't see where it is.
>
>Any experienced travellers out there?
>
>If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
>geriatric globe-hoppers?
>
>Cheers,
>
>John S.

It is worth talking to the Mastercard people. Visa had a similar
policy, but from memory only for 30 days. We tried to get insurance
for the balance of a trip only to find that if the trip was for more
than 30 days, there was no cover at all. Mastercard may be similar,
but if it is 40 days and covers you then that is good. Travel agents
can be helpful with this sort of issue - we had a complex tri[p
planned so were using a travel agent.

Good luck, and let us know what arrangements you end up with.

bugalugs

On 8/08/2012 4:22 p.m., John S wrote:
> (vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
> internet
>
> My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
> reunion.
>
> I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
> I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
> merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
> sites.
>
> Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
> be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
> However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
> it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
> days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
> Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
> Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
> but I don't see where it is.
>
> Any experienced travellers out there?
>
> If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
> geriatric globe-hoppers?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S.

A couple of years ago I went to the UK and the Continent for about 3
weeks. Found the best value as far as coverage and cost. (Southern Cross
were way out of the picture) Had done the travel through Flight Centre
who offered their own brand. When I told them I had another they offered
to match coverage and for $1 less. I went with them.

My MasterCard bill last month advised that the age restrictions which
they had applied at 80 were being brought down to 75. Medical coverage
now Nil. No coverage for body recovery and some other payments halved.

bill ramsay

wrote:

>(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
>internet
>
>My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
>reunion.
>
>I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
>I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
>merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
>sites.
>
>Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
>be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
>However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
>it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
>days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
>Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
>Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
>but I don't see where it is.
>
>Any experienced travellers out there?
>
>If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
>geriatric globe-hoppers?
>
>Cheers,
>
>John S.

interesting that you should be asking about this.

My 19 year old is in london just now, before he went i checked up on
insurance. I discovered that for medical stuff, such as hospital
surgery etc, that there is a reciprocal arrangement between the UK
and NZ that covers travellers for up to 6 months. any longer than
that it is assumed that you are staying and working in the UK and that
you will then have a national insurance number and automatically
covered.

the major benefits of insurance is if medical evacuation is required,
and covering any other incidental expenses.

He's also got dual nationality. UK/NZ so as a British National he's
covered as well.

In the end we didn't bother. However, it has been a worrying time as
he has been rushed in to Chelsea and Westminster hospital with a burst
appendix.

He's had excellent care.

Of course, if he had been in any other country, i would have
automatically bought insurance for him.

So the thing is, what is it that you want the insurance to do for
you?

-Newsman-

wrote:

>(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
>internet
>
>My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
>reunion.
>
>I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
>I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
>merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
>sites.
>
>Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
>be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
>However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
>it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
>days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
>Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
>Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
>but I don't see where it is.
>
>Any experienced travellers out there?
>
>If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
>geriatric globe-hoppers?

As to health insurance (I no longer bother with it on my regular UK/EU
travels, and here's why):

Up to the point of departure from NZ, you are covered by NZ health
system.

From moment of disembarkation in UK and for your entire ensuing period
in the UK, there is NZ/UK reciprocal health provision. Take a look at
these URLs -

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...lth-agreements

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...+Kingdom_resel

Vice-versa for return journey.

In-flight, your $800 is of no help whatever - you are solely at the
tender mercies of the cabin crew and any volunteer medic who may
happen to be on board.

Your only period of potential vulnerablity is when on the ground in
transit between flights. You to decide.

So, with that proviso, if you are both in good shape and with no - or
minimal - known condition that might jeopardise you and your journey,
why not save your $800 and simply use your "free" credit card
insurance to cover for (possible) loss and damage?

Enkidu

On 08/08/12 16:22, John S wrote:
> (vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on
> the internet
>
> My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a
> school reunion.
>
> I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance. I was
> hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
> merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various
> commercial sites.
>
> Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70
> yrs) to be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
> However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard,
> and use it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance
> for up to 40 days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details,
> and the policy (by Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
> Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a
> catch, but I don't see where it is.
>
> Any experienced travellers out there?
>
> If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
> geriatric globe-hoppers?

I found that if you have pre-existing medical conditions (as most people
do as they get on a bit), you can essentially forget about coverage for
that condition. The catch is like all insurance policies, they will
wriggle and squirm to avoid paying out, especially if they find that you
haven't declared something. "Oh, so your second cousin twice removed
once got a tummy bug in Bali? Sorry you are not covered for appendicitis".

Cheers,

Cliff

-Newsman-

wrote:

>(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
>internet
>
>My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
>reunion.
>
>I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
>I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
>merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
>sites.
>
>Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
>be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
>However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
>it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
>days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
>Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
>Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
>but I don't see where it is.
>
>Any experienced travellers out there?
>
>If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
>geriatric globe-hoppers?

As to health insurance (I no longer bother with it on my regular UK/EU
travels, and here's why):

Up to the point of departure from NZ, you are covered by NZ health
system.

From moment of disembarkation in UK and for your ensuing period in the
UK, there is NZ/UK reciprocal health provision. Take a look at these
URLs -

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...lth-agreements

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...+Kingdom_resel

Vice-versa for return journey.

In-flight, your $800 spend is futile - you are solely at the tender
mercies of the cabin crew and any volunteer medic who may happen to be
on board.

Your only period of potential vulnerablity is when on terra firma in
transit between flights.

So, with that proviso, if you are both in good shape and with no - or
minimal - known condition that might jeopardise you in-flight, why not
simply use your "free" credit card insurance to cover for (possible)
loss and damage and put your $800 to better use?

John S

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:22:13 +1200, John S wrote:

> My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
> reunion.
>
> I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
> I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
> merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
> sites.
>
> Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
> be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
>
> However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
> it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
> days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
> Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
>
> Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
> but I don't see where it is.
>
> Any experienced travellers out there?
>
> If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
> geriatric globe-hoppers?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S.

Hi,

Just following up my ow original message to say many thanks for the helpful