Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Would Ansel Adams use Photoshop?

Re: Would Ansel Adams use Photoshop?

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-08-05 10:12:53 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>> "Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> This question pops up from time to time and the general conclusion seems
>>> to be "Yes, and probably very effectively!"
>>>
>>> But would AA lower himself to cheap parlor tricks in PS?
>>>
>>> You betcha!
>>>
>>> At the Peabody Essex Museum (Salem, MA) exhibit "At the water's edge"
>>> there is one photo that seemed too pat, too symmetrical. I zoomed in with
>>> my feet to look at the way the water splashing seemed to criss-cross...
>>> then looking at the patterns of the boulders it was clear that he had
>>> taken the same scene twice, maybe an hour apart. And then reversed one of
>>> the negatives atop the other to make the print (or exposed the paper with
>>> each). There was just a slight vertical offset.
>>>
>>> "Cascade, Yosemite" ca. 1968
>>>
>>> Naughty boy our Ansel.
>>>

>> What I'd like to know is: If AA were alive today, what camera would he
>> mainly use?
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley

> Seeing as he used Brownies, View cameras, various medium format
> cameras, 35mm Leicas, Zeiss Contax, ContaFlex, & Nikons, and various
> Polaroids, I suspect he would use whatever scratched his particular
> itch at the time.
> With his meticulous character in mind, he might lean toward a D3X in
> FF, and perhaps a Hassie MF, with an M9 and appropriately selected
> lenses to fill the bag.
>
> ...and in a pocket an iPhone.

I believe he did use a Hassie quite a lot in his later artistic work,
too, so that seems good.

D3X is outdated, D800e would be the choice today.

It's also nearly 30 years after he died, which is to say that's enough
time for considerable development in his artistic interests and tools,
so who knows? I think the odds are pretty good he'd be doing something
interesting, anyway.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info