Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: What module card should I get for Cisco 1721?

Re: What module card should I get for Cisco 1721?

Doug McIntyre

pppel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>T1 and framerelay is dead? It took me a few days to read the frame relay
>chapter in my CCNA book. I'm actually in New York. Then what's the
>current technology when it comes to WAN?

Well, *I* still have T1 customers as a service provider. If that is
where you want to end up, knowing how to support legacy WAN circuits
would be a big plus.

I wouldn't expect to be installing *new* T1 data circuits though.
Installing new T1 voice circuits (specificly in the form of PRI) would
be an active area though. Troubleshooting T1 circuits in general, and
specificly for voice services (although fundementals of T1 are the
same for both voice & data with tiny tweaks either way) would be again
a plus.

WAN areas are taken over by optical 10G for service provider, MOE for
larger customers, and probably some form of DSL and/or cable modem for
smaller customers. Most likely with ethernet handoff. Knowing PPPoE
protocol over either would be a benefit I would think.

(no mention of frame relay in there, is there.
At least in my area, the ILEC priced frame-relay way out of proportion
to ptp T1 links long ago. Kind of funny as they built up a lot of
service gear behind their cell-relay/frame-relay integration, but then
charged a boatload for it driving advanced customers to ptp t1 long ago.

Rob

Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> pppel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>T1 and framerelay is dead? It took me a few days to read the frame relay
>>chapter in my CCNA book. I'm actually in New York. Then what's the
>>current technology when it comes to WAN?

> Well, *I* still have T1 customers as a service provider. If that is
> where you want to end up, knowing how to support legacy WAN circuits
> would be a big plus.
>
> I wouldn't expect to be installing *new* T1 data circuits though.
> Installing new T1 voice circuits (specificly in the form of PRI) would
> be an active area though. Troubleshooting T1 circuits in general, and
> specificly for voice services (although fundementals of T1 are the
> same for both voice & data with tiny tweaks either way) would be again
> a plus.
>
> WAN areas are taken over by optical 10G for service provider, MOE for
> larger customers, and probably some form of DSL and/or cable modem for
> smaller customers. Most likely with ethernet handoff. Knowing PPPoE
> protocol over either would be a benefit I would think.

I agree with that. Also add the configuration of VLAN. Providers often
use different VLANs for different type of service here.
(and then PPPoE on top of the VLAN subinterface)

It is difficult to build your own personal standalone testlab because
the network is not peer-to-peer. A DSL router talks to a DSLAM and
the PPPoE client talks to a PPPoE server, and you need to either have
one or preferably two connections at a provider, or you need all that
equipment at home to have a usable testlab.

Connecting two routers over a crossed cable provides a lot of insight
but is not a setup you encounter in reality.