Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Stupid question

Re: Stupid question

Tim W

On 08/08/2012 17:57, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:16:12 +0100, Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> My son told me that when he used IE sometimes you would go to a site and
>> instead of the index page you would get something to the effect of
>>
>> "We don't bother with IE users. Go away and don't come back until you
>> have a proper browser"
>>
>> I would like to know how you would implement that.

> Why bother antagonising people? I prefer Firefox myself, but if
> I ran across anything like that for any browser, I would avoid the
> site.

It would indeed be contrary to my genial nature to antagonise, but I
might just not feel like putting in the work to make up for IE's
shortcomings, and I might prefer that my site doesn't display at all
rather than have it display half cocked (like it does now).

Tim w

dorayme

In article <jvtmsf$cgv$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <jvte94$tcg$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> My son told me that when he used IE sometimes you would go to a site and
> >> instead of the index page you would get something to the effect of
> >>
> >> "We don't bother with IE users. Go away and don't come back until you
> >> have a proper browser"
> >>
> >> I would like to know how you would implement that.

> > You can try to do something like
> >
> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/OneT...Others/html.ht
> > ml>
> >

> Isn't there a way to get your Mac to wrap URLs without breaking them?
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/OneThingForIE_anotherForOthers/html.html>

I can alter my newsreader's prefs. At the moment, I have the compose
window wrap at 70. If I don't set some width I get scrollbars when
typing and my words disappearing off left. Hard to live with and
causes special problems for me due to that my words play up if they
think I am not watching them at all times.

I can alter the wrap to bigger either always or on particular
occasions or just not use long urls. I will try to do the latter in
future as I know this causes problems for some people, stitching
together is not for everyone (I do it quite often when looking at urls
that others have posted).

The angle brackets work like a charm on my newsreader to fire up many
a wrapped url.

--
dorayme

David Postill

In article <jvuib1$r9o$(E-Mail Removed)>, on Wed, 08 Aug 2012 21:31:29
+0100, Tim W wrote:

| On 08/08/2012 17:57, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
| > On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:16:12 +0100, Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)>
| > wrote:
| >
| > [snip]
| >
| >> My son told me that when he used IE sometimes you would go to a site and
| >> instead of the index page you would get something to the effect of
| >>
| >> "We don't bother with IE users. Go away and don't come back until you
| >> have a proper browser"
| >>
| >> I would like to know how you would implement that.
| >
| > Why bother antagonising people? I prefer Firefox myself, but if
| > I ran across anything like that for any browser, I would avoid the
| > site.
| >

| It would indeed be contrary to my genial nature to antagonise, but I
| might just not feel like putting in the work to make up for IE's
| shortcomings, and I might prefer that my site doesn't display at all
| rather than have it display half cocked (like it does now).

But it's not your site (if you are referring to
www.biodanzasouthwest.co.uk). You just wrote it!

It's the site of a dance teacher (who I happen to know personally and I'm
sure would be upset to know it didn't work in 1/2 of all browsers...)

Cheers,
--
David Postill
Dance your Life - Biodanza in Alkmaar and Castricum, Holland - <http://www.danceyourlife.eu>

Tim W

On 13/08/2012 14:58, David Postill wrote:
> In article <jvuib1$r9o$(E-Mail Removed)>, on Wed, 08 Aug 2012 21:31:29
> +0100, Tim W wrote:
>
> | On 08/08/2012 17:57, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> | > On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:16:12 +0100, Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | > wrote:
> | >
> | > [snip]

> | > Why bother antagonising people? I prefer Firefox myself, but if
> | > I ran across anything like that for any browser, I would avoid the
> | > site.
> | >

> | It would indeed be contrary to my genial nature to antagonise, but I
> | might just not feel like putting in the work to make up for IE's
> | shortcomings, and I might prefer that my site doesn't display at all
> | rather than have it display half cocked (like it does now).
> |

> But it's not your site (if you are referring to
> www.biodanzasouthwest.co.uk). You just wrote it!
>
> It's the site of a dance teacher (who I happen to know personally and I'm
> sure would be upset to know it didn't work in 1/2 of all browsers...)
>
> Cheers,

It's a small world!

I didn't mean that site. You are right it isn't 'mine' in that sense. I
do have a couple of sites which are 'mine' and are non-commercial.

Tim W

stupid, STUPID question! rincewind HTML 25 05-08-2009 01:07 PM
stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM

Advertisments