Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: dbf.py API question

Re: dbf.py API question

Ethan Furman

Ole Martin Bjørndalen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> SQLite has a neat feature where if you give it a the file-name of ':memory:'
>> the resulting table is in memory and not on disk. I thought it was a cool
>> feature, but expanded it slightly: any name surrounded by colons results in
>> an in-memory table.
>>
>> I'm looking at the same type of situation with indices, but now I'm
>> wondering if the :name: method is not pythonic and I should use a flag
>> (in_memory=True) when memory storage instead of disk storage is desired.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> I agree that the flag would be more pythonic in dbf.py.
>
> I was not aware that you are adding sqlite functionality to your
> library. This is very cool!

Actually, I'm not. I had stumbled across that one tidbit and thought it
was cool, but cool is not always pythonic.

> I am considering adding a "streaming=True" flag which would make the
> table class a record generator,

You can do this by implementing either __getitem__ or __iter__, unless
the streaming flag would also make your table not in memory.

> I hope this can help you somehow in your decision making process.

All comments appreciated. Thanks!

~Ethan~