Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Code To Pick A Date From A Calendar

Code To Pick A Date From A Calendar

Gene Wirchenko

To: =?windows-1252?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=
From: Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:30:54 -0400, Arne Vajhoj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8/5/2012 9:39 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

[snip]

>> Copyrighted code posted here is still copyrighted.

>Obviously code posted here is copyrighted.
>
>The question is whether posting to usenet implicit
>provides a "permissible license".
>
>Web fora where users has to register can require an
>explicit accept.
>
>SO:
>
>You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
>is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
>Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. You grant Stack

If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the same
thing.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/3
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Lew

To: Mike Winter
From: Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

On Monday, August 6, 2012 5:07:18 PM UTC-7, Mike Winter wrote:
> On 07/08/2012 00:30, Arne Vajhoj wrote:
>> Obviously code posted here is copyrighted.
>>
>> The question is whether posting to usenet implicit
>> provides a "permissible license".
>>
>> Web fora where users has to register can require an
>> explicit accept.

>> SO:
>>
>> You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
> > is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
> > Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. You grant Stack
> > Exchange the perpetual and irrevocable right and license to use, copy,
> > cache, publish, display, distribute, modify, create derivative works and
> > store such Subscriber Content and to allow others to do so in any medium
> > now known or hereinafter developed (rContent License%) in order to
> > provide the Services, even if such Subscriber Content has been
> > contributed and subsequently removed by You.

>> I would argue that usenet posts via tradition, logic and
>> similarity comes with an implicit license for free
>> usage by anyone.

> If I'm not mistaken, those sorts of licenses are merely to permit sites
> that retain user submissions to store that content and resend it others
> in some form (usually forums) without infringing on copyright. It
> doesn't automatically allow other users to use that content as it's the
> site that is granted the license--the work isn't placed into the Public
> Domain.
>
> Of course, these licenses do mean that such websites could, in
> principle, take someones hard work and use it themselves even though the
> original creator retains ownership.

The Creative Commons License explicitly allows that, yes.

> I would argue that the "to allow others" phrase in the Stack Exchange
> terms is intended to refer only to third-parties that work with them to
> provide or develop its services rather than others generally, but it's
> ill-defined [sic] here and could extend to anyone SE deems applicable.

You'd be mistaken.

Stack Exchange explicitly specifies the Creative Commons Attribution Share
Alike license.

That's not ill defined and extends to everyone irrespective of whom SE deems
applicable. It explicitly allows everyone access, not just SE. If they hadn't
intended that, they wouldn't have specified a license that explicitly exists
for the very purpose of extending universal access.

--
Lew

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
> give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
> same thing.

That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under that
agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable for the
infringement, not the site.

--

To: Lew
From: Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
>> give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
>> same thing.

>That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under
>that agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable
>for the infringement, not the site.

So? The site is not going to get the right.

This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
employer's app, say a useful function.

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>>Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>>> If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
>>> give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
>>> same thing.

>>That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under
>>that agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable
>>for the infringement, not the site.

> So? The site is not going to get the right.
>
> This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
> employer's app, say a useful function.

Trouble for whom?

That's the point.

The site's rules mean they aren't the ones who get in trouble.

It isn't about whether the site gets the right, it's about whether they get the
liability.

That explains why they make that rule. What more are you looking for?

--
Lew

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/3
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Mike Winter

To: Lew
From: Mike Winter <(E-Mail Removed)>

On 07/08/2012 19:39, Lew wrote:
> On Monday, August 6, 2012 5:07:18 PM UTC-7, Mike Winter wrote:
>> I would argue that the "to allow others" phrase in the Stack Exchange
>> terms is intended to refer only to third-parties that work with them to
>> provide or develop its services rather than others generally, but it's
>> ill-defined [sic] here and could extend to anyone SE deems applicable.

> You'd be mistaken.
>
> Stack Exchange explicitly specifies the Creative Commons Attribution
> Share Alike license.

Unfortunately, as it was late I hadn't taken the time to read that license so
you are of course correct with regard to its implications.

--
Mike Winter

To: Lew
From: Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 14:51:52 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko wrote:

>>>That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under
>>>that agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable
>>>for the infringement, not the site.

>> So? The site is not going to get the right.
>>
>> This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
>> employer's app, say a useful function.

>Trouble for whom?
>
>That's the point.
>
>The site's rules mean they aren't the ones who get in trouble.

They could be the recipient of a cease-and-desist order.

>It isn't about whether the site gets the right, it's about whether they
>get the liability.
>
>That explains why they make that rule. What more are you looking for?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/3
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Arne Vajh°j

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Arne Vajhoj <(E-Mail Removed)>

On 8/7/2012 12:41 AM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:30:54 -0400, Arne Vajhoj <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/5/2012 9:39 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>> Copyrighted code posted here is still copyrighted.

>> Obviously code posted here is copyrighted.
>>
>> The question is whether posting to usenet implicit
>> provides a "permissible license".
>>
>> Web fora where users has to register can require an
>> explicit accept.
>>
>> SO:
>>
>> You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
>> is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
>> Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. You grant Stack

> If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
> give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
> same thing.

That is obvious.

But it is no different from any other context.

You can not give away something you don't own.

Arne

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Arne Vajhoj <(E-Mail Removed)>

On 8/7/2012 5:17 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>>> If I post code that I do not have the copyright for, I can not
>>> give that right. I can agree with it all I want, but that is not the
>>> same thing.

>> That's not the point. The point is that if you contribute code under
>> that agreement, and you do not hold copyright, *you* are liable
>> for the infringement, not the site.

> So? The site is not going to get the right.
>
> This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
> employer's app, say a useful function.

Sure.

And if you buy a car from someone that does not own that car, then you can also
get in problems.

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Arne Vajhoj <(E-Mail Removed)>

On 8/7/2012 10:53 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 14:51:52 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Gene Wirchenko wrote:

>>> So? The site is not going to get the right.
>>>
>>> This could lead to trouble if a programmer posts part of an
>>> employer's app, say a useful function.

>> Trouble for whom?
>>
>> That's the point.
>>
>> The site's rules mean they aren't the ones who get in trouble.

> They could be the recipient of a cease-and-desist order.

The general practice in most countries for user provided content is that:
- if the site removes illegal content when being notified about
the problem then they are fine
- if the site does not do that then the courts go after the site