Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: EXTERNAL: Re: missing python-config and building python on Windows

RE: EXTERNAL: Re: missing python-config and building python on Windows

Prasad, Ramit

> On 7/31/2012 11:49 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:

> > On 1/08/2012 10:48 AM, Damon Register wrote:

> >> 1. though I have looked in a few readmefiles, I don't see instructions for
> >> installing what I have just built using MSVC. Where can I find the
> >> instructions for installing after building with MSVC?

> > There is no such process. In general, you can just run directly from the

> built tree.
> That is a bummer. That makes me more curious about how the Windows
> installer was made and how all the pieces were gathered together.
>

> > I'm afraid I don't know what python-config is. Itappears it might be a

> reflection of how Python

> > was configured and build on *nix systems - if that is the case then it is

> expected that one does not

> > exist for Windows (as it doesn't use the *nix build chain).

> which means, I guess, that mingw is barely supported if at all.
> While it may be Windows, mingw/msys is a nice way tobuild many
> programs that are unix oriented. I suppose that just for fun I
> should try to build python on SuSE to see how it goes.
>

> >> 3. It seems that MSVC doesn't produce the .a libraryfiles needed for
> >> linking
> >> into a mingw built program. Do I have to do that fun trick to
> >> create the
> >> .a from the dll?

> > I'm surprised MSVC *can* build .a files for mingw - but AFAIK, even if MSVC

> could do that, I believe

> > Python makes no attempt to build with support for linking into mingw

> programs.
> I don't know that MSVC can do this. The only process of which I am aware is a
> two step process using pexports anddlltool to generate the .a file from a
> dll.
> One reason Iwas using the python.org installer is that it already had the
> python27.a file. Now I am even more curious about what was used to build
> python
> and create that installer.
>
> The python.org installer provided all I needed for build most python dependent
> apps with mingw until I ran into one that needed python-config. I suppose
> that
> if python-config does what I suspect it does (produce cflags and ldflags as
> does pkg-config) then perhaps I could just fake it by replacing use of
> python-config with what the cflags andldflags should be for where I have
> python.

I have no knowledge about building Python but does this help?
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Building...%20C%20Toolkit

Ramit