Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Pass data to a subprocess

Re: Pass data to a subprocess

Laszlo Nagy

> Thanks, there is another thing which is able to interact with running
> processes in theory:
> https://github.com/lmacken/pyrasite
>
> I don't know though if it's a good idea to use a similar approach for
> production code, as far as I understood it uses gdb.. In theory
> though I could be able to set up every subprocess with all the data
> they need, so I might not even need to share data between them.
>
> Anyway now I had another idea to avoid to be able to stop the main
> process without killing the subprocesses, using multiple forks. Does
> the following makes sense? I don't really need these subprocesses to
> be daemons since they should quit when done, but is there anything
> that can go wrong with this approach?

On thing is sure: os.fork() doesn't work under Microsoft Windows. Under
Unix, I'm not sure if os.fork() can be mixed with
multiprocessing.Process.start(). I could not find official documentation
on that. This must be tested on your actual platform. And don't forget
to use Queue.get() in your test.