Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Thread timeouts

Thread timeouts

Graham

Hi,
I have web based email management system where a user can login, create an
email and then send it to multiple recipients.
The email component I use generates all of the physical .eml files when they
click send. When a user is sending to 120, 000 recipients at once the page
times out.
I was thinking of using a separate worker thread for creating the email
messages (I dont have to worry about sending because the files get put into
a pickup directory that gets read by an SMTP component). My main concern
is - would the thread timeout at all, when trying to generate so many files?

Thanks in advance
Graham

Scott Allen

Hi Graham:

Threads do not time out, so I wouldn't have this concern.

Applications can timeout, however. I can configure an application pool in
Win2003 to shut down an app after x minutes of inactivity. A background thread
isn't considered activity though - only incoming requests are. Something
to look for in your config.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/