Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Custom configuration in installer project

Custom configuration in installer project

weichung

I had build an installer project for my ASP.NET project. And found that
several fields need to be configured, like the web.config files and etc,
which requires user input. Also I need to attach my database using the
installer project, anybody could suggest how I could perform similar action?

One of my idea is to build a winform project which accepts athe user input
and configure the fields during installation, but I had no idea how winform
object is being called during installation.

Any idea and suggestions are welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Regards;
weichung

David Jessee

I've purchased a number of commercial web applications. I've also developed
architected sold and supported a number of them too.

Sometimes the best install tool is very thorough documentation.

Give them a SQL script and instructions on exactly how to modify the config
file. It saves you a lot of headaches in the long run.

"weichung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OG3oh4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had build an installer project for my ASP.NET project. And found that
> several fields need to be configured, like the web.config files and etc,
> which requires user input. Also I need to attach my database using the
> installer project, anybody could suggest how I could perform similar

action?

> One of my idea is to build a winform project which accepts athe user input
> and configure the fields during installation, but I had no idea how

winform
> object is being called during installation.
>
> Any idea and suggestions are welcomed! Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards;
> weichung

Scott Allen

What you are looking to do is add a "custom action" to the msi file. You
can find some starter docs on this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stomaction.asp

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/