Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in ahacker friendly way.

RE: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in ahacker friendly way.

Prasad, Ramit

> >> I would suggest you change the theme -- using Firefox 3.6 the page is

> >> very difficult to read.

> > Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
> > old version?
> > (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

> That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
> bugs if I don't have to.

Why do you prefer to keep your old security holes?

Ramit

This email is confidentialand subject to important disclaimers and

Steven D'Aprano

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:32:47 +0000, Prasad, Ramit wrote:

>> > Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
>> > old version?
>> > (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

Firefox 3.6 is not "such an old version". It is the currently supported
version in RHEL and Centos, and under the rebranded name Iceweasel,
Debian Squeeze.

>> That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
>> bugs if I don't have to.

> Why do you prefer to keep your old security holes?

I don't. But in my experience, the risk of security breaches is *much*
less than the chance that the new version will break functionality,
introduce bugs, have a worse user interface, and generally be a step
backwards rather than forward.

Security fixes are orthogonal to new features and UI changes. Any
software which forces you to take unwanted new features and accept UI
degradation in order to get security fixes is doing the wrong thing, and
almost certainly adding new security holes as fast as they remove them.

When it comes to browsers, I would rather rely on dedicated security
features like NoScript that has a stable UI and continual functional
improvements, than to get on the Firefox upgrade treadmill. When I
upgrade my OS, I'll get a new major release of Firefox. With luck, all
the kinks will be ironed out by then. Until then, Firefox 3.6 is stable
and works.

Besides, it is amazing what a better browsing experience you get by
disabling 99% of all Flash and 95% of all Javascript.

Python is one of the few cases where I can implicitly trust that each
upgrade is an actual *upgrade*, not a downgrade with a higher version
number like KDE 3 -> KDE 4, or a sidegrade, like Firefox.

--
Steven

Andrew Berg

On 7/30/2012 9:25 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I don't. But in my experience, the risk of security breaches is *much*
> less than the chance that the new version will break functionality,
> introduce bugs, have a worse user interface, and generally be a step
> backwards rather than forward.

4.0 sucked. It had a radically new UI and it broke heaps of add-ons and
it leaked memory. 5.0 was slightly better, but still sucked because it
still leaked memory. 6.0 didn't suck so much because the memory leaks
were taken care of, and by this point there were extensions to deal with
certain issues (like not having a place for status bar icons). By 7.0,
there weren't really any more problems. By no means was the process
painless, but I've found the new UI to be a bit better than the old one
(at this point - not when 4.0 came out) now that the dust has settled.
--
CPython 3.3.0b1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17803