Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Rodrick Brown

On Jul 29, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Andrew Berg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 7/29/2012 7:12 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
>> Python is a glue language much like Perl was 10 years ago. Until the
>> GIL is fixed I doubt anyone will seriously look at Python as an option
>> for large enterprise standalone application development.

> The GIL is neither a bug to be fixed nor an inherent part of the
> language. It is a design choice for CPython. There are reasons the
> CPython devs have no intention of removing the GIL (at least in the near
> future). A recent outline of these reasons (written by one of the
> CPython devs) is here:
>
> http://python-notes.boredomandlazine...fixing-unicode

Hence the reason why no one will seriously look at Python for none
glue work or simple web apps. When it comes to designing complex
applications that need to exploit large multicore systems Python just
isn't an option.

Its still not possible to be a pure Python developer and find gainful
employment today.

> --
> CPython 3.3.0b1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17803

Paul Rubin

Rodrick Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Hence the reason why no one will seriously look at Python for none
> glue work or simple web apps. When it comes to designing complex
> applications that need to exploit large multicore systems Python just
> isn't an option.

That's wrong, I've run multicore apps in Python, by just using separate
processes. There was no GIL issue, just separate processes for each
core. The cpython interpreter is so slow that the GIL is usually not
the bottleneck anyway. For lots of applications this just doesn't
matter since the app is either not cpu-intensive or (in my case) all the
work is done in native libraries.

> Its still not possible to be a pure Python developer and find gainful
> employment today.

Certainly any serious programmer should be good in multiple languages,
and in fact I got to write a little bit of C code at work a few months
ago, but it wasn't really needed. The program is all Python.

alex23

On Jul 30, 12:31*pm, Rodrick Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Its still not possible to be a pure Python developer and find gainful
> employment today.

I have been working as a "pure" Python developer for six+ years now
(in that the bulk of my coding is done in Python, with some interface
behaviour in JS). On average, every two months I'm contacted by a
recruiter or an employer wanting me for my Python experience. I've
worked for government, education and private industry, and the only
time I didn't get paid was my last week working for a start-up.

So I'm pretty confident that I'm "gainfully" employed.