Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > counting source lines (was: Is Python a commercial proposition ?)

counting source lines (was: Is Python a commercial proposition ?)

Stefan Behnel

lipska the kat, 29.07.2012 18:01:
> My most recent experience is with Java. The last project I was involved
> with included 6775 java source files containing 1,145,785 lines of code.
> How do I know this? because I managed to cobble together a python script
> that walks the source tree and counts the lines of code. It ignores block
> and line comments and whitespace lines so I'm fairly confident it's an
> accurate total. It doesn't include web interface files (mainly ..jsp and
> HTML) or configuration files (XML, properties files and what have you). In
> fact it was remarkably easy to do this in python

Just a comment on this part. An even easier way to count source lines is by
using the tool "SLOCCount". It also works with various languages.

Stefan