Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > The death of Google Groups

Reply
Thread Tools

The death of Google Groups

 
 
Fabrizio J Bonsignore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2012
The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...
Not all of a sudden but now the choice is being imposed. For some
reason I was still able to login into this interface, but opening a
new tab... I am spending more time fighting the OS and interface than
actually writing something!

Not to mention the backing up... With the original interface backing
up is just a matter of Save as... and parsing texts; with the new
interface... WHAT IS THE OBFUSCATED CODE OF FACEBOOK DOING HERE? Or is
Facebook an outcome of the obfuscated code of the Google search page?

In fact, a change of interface is a change of product! These google
groups are dead!

I already gave a SOLUTION: LET USERS CHOOSE INTERFACE. The new
interface is INEFFICIENT, and I am feeling it. I spent some time
writing through an internet enable public booth phone and it was
POSSIBLE. This thing here is supposedly magnitudes away in power and
am having trouble with the new interface!

I want the option to revert to the old groups without the overhead of
whatever the system is doing to add the same, boring, actually
oversized, internet buttons instead of plain agile links, and... new
edit boxes that do not offer full functionality like native boxes?

I think the maintainers of this dead product committed a mistake and
had not the imagination to add new functionality or changes without
making the interface look foreign and even non Occidental.

So when do we go back to the old, plain, common interface with a
choice? Mmmh?

Danilo J Bonsignore
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Prince
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2012
On 7/28/2012 12:38 PM, Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:

> So when do we go back to the old, plain, common interface with a
> choice? Mmmh?


You're posting through to usenet groups which are much older than Google
groups. google gateway appears to have been your own choice. The next
choice is yours. Use a normal newsgroup application, and one of the well
run specialist newsgroup servers.

--
Tim Prince
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stuart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2012
On 7/28/12 , Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:
> The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
> ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...
> Not all of a sudden but now the choice is being imposed. For some
> reason I was still able to login into this interface, but opening a
> new tab... I am spending more time fighting the OS and interface than
> actually writing something!


[snip]

It's really sad, but Google can do whatever it wants to its "costumers".
And since their services are free, you are not really in a position to
complain about it.

I switched to news.eternal-september.org, and now I can even use
Thunderbird again. That's an improvement with regard to the user
interface that can never be equaled by any web-based newsreader. I'd
advise you to do the same (it's free!)

Stuart

PS: When I heard that MS discontinued their newsgroups, I was having a
laugh. I mean, how can they discontinue a newsgroup that is almost
completely out of their control? Sadly, they seem to have succeeded.
Although the newsgroups are still there, there are about 5 posts a month
now. Apparently everybody's is in for the new rating system. Or maybe
programmers that use MS's compilers are much more willing to be
complaint with the way MS wants everybody to be. At least the famous Mr.
Newcomer did not let himself get dictated what kind of newsserver he
should use, so as long as he's still using the newsgroup, I consider it
to be still alive.

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Kanze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2012
On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:38:43 PM UTC+1, Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:
> The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
> ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...


The new interface supports the ItsAllText plugin in Firefox; the
old one didn't. So it's actually easier to type in my responses
in vim than it used to be.

--
James
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Stemper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Fabrizio J Bonsignore <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
>ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...
>Not all of a sudden but now the choice is being imposed. For some
>reason I was still able to login into this interface, but opening a
>new tab... I am spending more time fighting the OS and interface than
>actually writing something!
>
>Not to mention the backing up... With the original interface backing
>up is just a matter of Save as... and parsing texts; with the new
>interface... WHAT IS THE OBFUSCATED CODE OF FACEBOOK DOING HERE? Or is
>Facebook an outcome of the obfuscated code of the Google search page?
>
>In fact, a change of interface is a change of product! These google
>groups are dead!
>
>I already gave a SOLUTION: LET USERS CHOOSE INTERFACE.


That solution has existed as long as Usenet has. Anybody can choose
which client and which service provider to use to access Usenet. You
have chosen to use a web browser and Google.

There are many other choices. Instead of whining about how you're using
something you don't like, use something else.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>
Life's too important to take seriously.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Bernier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2012
On 07/31/2012 01:11 PM, Michael Stemper wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, Fabrizio J Bonsignore<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
>> ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...
>> Not all of a sudden but now the choice is being imposed. For some
>> reason I was still able to login into this interface, but opening a
>> new tab... I am spending more time fighting the OS and interface than
>> actually writing something!
>>
>> Not to mention the backing up... With the original interface backing
>> up is just a matter of Save as... and parsing texts; with the new
>> interface... WHAT IS THE OBFUSCATED CODE OF FACEBOOK DOING HERE? Or is
>> Facebook an outcome of the obfuscated code of the Google search page?
>>
>> In fact, a change of interface is a change of product! These google
>> groups are dead!
>>
>> I already gave a SOLUTION: LET USERS CHOOSE INTERFACE.

>
> That solution has existed as long as Usenet has. Anybody can choose
> which client and which service provider to use to access Usenet. You
> have chosen to use a web browser and Google.
>
> There are many other choices. Instead of whining about how you're using
> something you don't like, use something else.
>


For Usenet reader, I use Thunderbird, a product of the Mozilla
people who make Firefox.

I've heard good things about Forte Agent, Gnus and other
news-readers. Using some form of filtering and/or
"spam-scoring" for ng-junk is most beneficial.

Dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Bernier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2012
On 08/01/2012 01:15 PM, David Bernier wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 01:11 PM, Michael Stemper wrote:
>> In
>> article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Fabrizio J Bonsignore<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
>>> ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...
>>> Not all of a sudden but now the choice is being imposed. For some
>>> reason I was still able to login into this interface, but opening a
>>> new tab... I am spending more time fighting the OS and interface than
>>> actually writing something!
>>>
>>> Not to mention the backing up... With the original interface backing
>>> up is just a matter of Save as... and parsing texts; with the new
>>> interface... WHAT IS THE OBFUSCATED CODE OF FACEBOOK DOING HERE? Or is
>>> Facebook an outcome of the obfuscated code of the Google search page?
>>>
>>> In fact, a change of interface is a change of product! These google
>>> groups are dead!
>>>
>>> I already gave a SOLUTION: LET USERS CHOOSE INTERFACE.

>>
>> That solution has existed as long as Usenet has. Anybody can choose
>> which client and which service provider to use to access Usenet. You
>> have chosen to use a web browser and Google.
>>
>> There are many other choices. Instead of whining about how you're using
>> something you don't like, use something else.
>>

>
> For Usenet reader, I use Thunderbird, a product of the Mozilla
> people who make Firefox.
>
> I've heard good things about Forte Agent, Gnus and other
> news-readers. Using some form of filtering and/or
> "spam-scoring" for ng-junk is most beneficial.
>
> Dave
>


P.S.:

If I want to find Sir Andrew Wiles' post from around 1993-1994,
It's best if I know a lot about what I'm looking for,
e.g.
Andrew Wiles, Conference, gap
[etc. ]


Same would apply to Linus Torvalds' post mentioning
an OS kernel developped from Andrew Tannenbaum's
Minix around 1991-1992.

That's when searching at Google archives.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fabrizio J Bonsignore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2012
Problem is... you fall on any computer at hand, browse log into google
groups and you are there. Only other similar page-server I found did
not survive my third or fourth post. And I even mean street internet
enabled phone booths, so it is like no escaping here.

Danilo J Bonsignore
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Bernier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2012
On 08/01/2012 01:28 PM, David Bernier wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 01:15 PM, David Bernier wrote:
>> On 07/31/2012 01:11 PM, Michael Stemper wrote:
>>> In
>>> article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>>
>>> Fabrizio J Bonsignore<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>
>>>> The new interface is unbearable. It is over a decade of using a TEXT
>>>> ORIENTED interface, daily almost, daily for periods, and suddenly...
>>>> Not all of a sudden but now the choice is being imposed. For some
>>>> reason I was still able to login into this interface, but opening a
>>>> new tab... I am spending more time fighting the OS and interface than
>>>> actually writing something!
>>>>
>>>> Not to mention the backing up... With the original interface backing
>>>> up is just a matter of Save as... and parsing texts; with the new
>>>> interface... WHAT IS THE OBFUSCATED CODE OF FACEBOOK DOING HERE? Or is
>>>> Facebook an outcome of the obfuscated code of the Google search page?
>>>>
>>>> In fact, a change of interface is a change of product! These google
>>>> groups are dead!
>>>>
>>>> I already gave a SOLUTION: LET USERS CHOOSE INTERFACE.
>>>
>>> That solution has existed as long as Usenet has. Anybody can choose
>>> which client and which service provider to use to access Usenet. You
>>> have chosen to use a web browser and Google.
>>>
>>> There are many other choices. Instead of whining about how you're using
>>> something you don't like, use something else.
>>>

>>
>> For Usenet reader, I use Thunderbird, a product of the Mozilla
>> people who make Firefox.
>>
>> I've heard good things about Forte Agent, Gnus and other
>> news-readers. Using some form of filtering and/or
>> "spam-scoring" for ng-junk is most beneficial.
>>
>> Dave
>>

>
> P.S.:
>
> If I want to find Sir Andrew Wiles' post from around 1993-1994,
> It's best if I know a lot about what I'm looking for,
> e.g.
> Andrew Wiles, Conference, gap
> [etc. ]
>


Easier to find on David Rusin's web-pages:

< http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/93_back/wiles > .


>
> Same would apply to Linus Torvalds' post mentioning
> an OS kernel developped from Andrew Tannenbaum's
> Minix around 1991-1992.
>
> That's when searching at Google archives.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Bernier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2012
On 08/01/2012 02:13 PM, David Bernier wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 01:28 PM, David Bernier wrote:

[...]

>>
>> P.S.:
>>
>> If I want to find Sir Andrew Wiles' post from around 1993-1994,
>> It's best if I know a lot about what I'm looking for,
>> e.g.
>> Andrew Wiles, Conference, gap
>> [etc. ]
>>

>
> Easier to find on David Rusin's web-pages:
>
> < http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/93_back/wiles > .


Or seems to be here (but harder to find):

https://groups.google.com/group/sci....Ad4d62c111b74d

>
>>
>> Same would apply to Linus Torvalds' post mentioning
>> an OS kernel developped from Andrew Tannenbaum's
>> Minix around 1991-1992.
>>
>> That's when searching at Google archives.


Dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The death of Google Groups Fabrizio J Bonsignore C Programming 22 09-10-2012 02:57 AM
Death, even when expected, is hard for anyone to deal with, but asuicidal death asim malik Perl Misc 1 09-13-2009 07:42 AM
Re: Crocodile Hunter - DEATH VIDEO - Steve Irwin - crocodile hunter - death video - steve irwin.exe (1/1) Mikey DVD Video 3 09-14-2006 05:52 PM
FAQ - references to Google/Google Groups Andrew Thompson Java 0 06-20-2005 12:26 PM
getting values from URL such as http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=parameters+url+asp.net&start=10&hl=en&lr=& anonymous ASP .Net 1 05-08-2005 03:58 PM



Advertisments