Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > OT: Text editors (was Re: Search and replace text in XML file?)

OT: Text editors (was Re: Search and replace text in XML file?)

Chris Angelico

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I highly recommend the use of notepad++. If anyone knows of a better text
> editor for Windows please let me know

My current preference is SciTE, available on Linux and Windows both.
It's configured using Lua, has lexers (and thus syntax highlighters
and auto-indenters) for a huge list of languages (including Python, or
I wouldn't mention it), and isn't RAM-hungry. It's not bug-free (but
what isn't), and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports
UTF-, but I've found it excellent as both text editor and
pseudo-IDE.

ChrisA

wxjmfauth@gmail.com

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

.... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

> UTF-,

?!

It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).
And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)
without problems.

jmf

wxjmfauth@gmail.com

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

.... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

> UTF-,

?!

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:47:24 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

> > ... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

> >> UTF-,

> > ?!

> > It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).

> > And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)

> > without problems.

> Okay, I must have misunderstood something then. Was under the
>
> impression that it had some internals where it worked only in bytes,
>
> and that things wouldn't always work if you used anything other than
>
> UTF-8. It's not an issue for me, since UTF-8 suits me just fine, so
>
> I've never looked into it. Apologies for the Elmer FUD!
>

> ChrisA

No problem. Important is just to say SciTE works
fine with many codings.

Having said this, I think there is probably some
confusion between the scintilla widget and the editor,
the application, SciTE using scintilla.

In the Python world, the ported "scintilla widget",
wxStyleTextCtrl in wxPython and QScintilla in PyQt
are working internally in utf-8 and the api's, at least
in wxPython, work with a byte arithmetic (annoying).
If I used the PyQt version, I do not remember the status
with Qt. I prefer the QPlainTextEdit widget.

For info: http://scintilla.org/

jmf

wxjmfauth@gmail.com

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:47:24 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

> > ... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

> >> UTF-,

> > ?!

> > It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).

> > And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)

> > without problems.

> Okay, I must have misunderstood something then. Was under the
>
> impression that it had some internals where it worked only in bytes,
>
> and that things wouldn't always work if you used anything other than
>
> UTF-8. It's not an issue for me, since UTF-8 suits me just fine, so
>
> I've never looked into it. Apologies for the Elmer FUD!
>

> ChrisA

No problem. Important is just to say SciTE works
fine with many codings.

Having said this, I think there is probably some
confusion between the scintilla widget and the editor,
the application, SciTE using scintilla.

In the Python world, the ported "scintilla widget",
wxStyleTextCtrl in wxPython and QScintilla in PyQt
are working internally in utf-8 and the api's, at least
in wxPython, work with a byte arithmetic (annoying).
If I used the PyQt version, I do not remember the status
with Qt. I prefer the QPlainTextEdit widget.

For info: http://scintilla.org/

jmf

hamilton

On 7/28/2012 1:23 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> For info: http://scintilla.org/

Just did a quick check on scintilla.

This looks like a single file editor.

Is there a project like capability in there that I did not notice ?

Thanks

hamilton

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM, hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/28/2012 1:23 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> For info: http://scintilla.org/

> Just did a quick check on scintilla.
>
> This looks like a single file editor.
>
> Is there a project like capability in there that I did not notice ?

Scintilla is a text editing widget; SciTE is a Scintilla-based Text
Editor (and is by the same author). The editor wraps up Scintilla with
facilities for handling multiple files simultaneously (multiple
buffers/tabbed display/whatever you want to call it).

ChrisA

hamilton

On 7/28/2012 4:42 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM, hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 7/28/2012 1:23 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> For info: http://scintilla.org/

>> Just did a quick check on scintilla.
>>
>> This looks like a single file editor.
>>
>> Is there a project like capability in there that I did not notice ?

> Scintilla is a text editing widget; SciTE is a Scintilla-based Text
> Editor (and is by the same author). The editor wraps up Scintilla with
> facilities for handling multiple files simultaneously (multiple
> buffers/tabbed display/whatever you want to call it).
>
> ChrisA

Ok, so the answer is no.

Thanks

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM, hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok, so the answer is no.

In terms of the editor, it's fine; you need only worry about Scintilla
itself if you're aiming to incorporate it in your own program.

ChrisA

Andrew Cooper

On 28/07/2012 16:51, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I highly recommend the use of notepad++. If anyone knows of a better text
>> editor for Windows please let me know

> My current preference is SciTE, available on Linux and Windows both.
> It's configured using Lua, has lexers (and thus syntax highlighters
> and auto-indenters) for a huge list of languages (including Python, or
> I wouldn't mention it), and isn't RAM-hungry. It's not bug-free (but
> what isn't), and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports
> UTF-, but I've found it excellent as both text editor and
> pseudo-IDE.
>
> ChrisA

I use emacs, which is also available for windows
(http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ et al)

As my work requires mixing between windows, various *NIXes, GUIs and
terminals, having a common text editor across all is fantastically useful.

~Andrew