Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > 17 years that Win95 substituted Win3.1: publish full sources

17 years that Win95 substituted Win3.1: publish full sources

Heinrich Wolf

<(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most old OSes don't like newer hardware, esp. higher RAM amounts, which
> often
> confuse them, so you need lots of tweaks and patches. Plus they even lack
> drivers, which is more painful. And it's quite hard finding software for
> older
> OSes too. At least, most software these days seems to go out of its way to
> only support the "big three", which is a pet peeve of mine.

I took my old Diskettes from MSDOS 4.1 up to MSDOS 6 and I took my old 5,25"
Floppy hardware. So I was able to create image files of them. Then I
installed DOS 6 in VMware player. However my DOS 6 is an update and only my
DOS 4.01 is a full version. DOS 4.01 does not install in VMware player. So I
looked in the world wide web and found a DOS 6 boot disk on WinFuture. Then
I installed my old Win 3.0 and my old Win 3.1 . I also found a Super VGA
driver for Win 3.1 on the world wide web. Sometimes it is funny to test a
Delphi 1 application on Win 3.1 .

Heiner

syntotic@gmail.com

> Personally, I like FreeDOS a lot, and DOS is what Win 3.1 ran atop anyways. So
>
> there's still a lot of DOS software out there (though waning in popularity).
>
> So if you're desperate for nostalgia, try that. If you demand a GUI, try
>
> OpenGem (GEM) or the recent port of FLTK to DJGPP.

My laptops are sluggish as turtles. I cannot even write as fast as with Win 3.1on 386 +/-. By OS I do mean the GUI part of it... and the API. Tweaking and updating would be a bonus job.

Though I am just about to SHOUT. Stupid Windows, just latency typo and my session goes into REBOOT. Or my computer may be trojaned, I record something and get RADIO IN IT. But I try ubiquituous anti-X protection and it is still the same.

Danilo J Bonsignore

syntotic@gmail.com

Funny that the GPL license would apply nice here. If last guy summarized it well, do business with MS and you get the code, otherwise go nuts with MSDN...

Danilo J Bonsignore