Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > THE Weirdest Cisco problem ever

THE Weirdest Cisco problem ever

unix

We were asked to capture some traffic destined for internal ftp servers.
Enabled SPAN on a 6K switch (monitoring 2 ports) and attached a capture device to the switch. Right after we enabled SPAN, we started getting complaints that some ASCII files uploaded to ftp servers were getting corrupt. Specifically, in some file locations, character "|" was getting replaced with "t".

Being a Cisco "expert", I told my users that the switch does layer 2/3 processing and has no way of corrupting specific ASCII characters since it doesn't deal with that layer. My assumption was, that if SPAN was somehow introducing noise to the packets, it would corrupt random bits and not specific ASCII characters.

After a few weeks of endless complaints, I disabled SPAN and no corruption has been reported since. WTF????

Thanks
Ron

Christoph Gartmann

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, unix <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>We were asked to capture some traffic destined for internal ftp servers.
>Enabled SPAN on a 6K switch (monitoring 2 ports) and attached a capture dev=
>ice to the switch. Right after we enabled SPAN, we started getting complain=
>ts that some ASCII files uploaded to ftp servers were getting corrupt. Spec=
>ifically, in some file locations, character "|" was getting replaced with "=
>t".
>
>Being a Cisco "expert", I told my users that the switch does layer 2/3 proc=
>essing and has no way of corrupting specific ASCII characters since it does=
>n't deal with that layer. My assumption was, that if SPAN was somehow intro=
>ducing noise to the packets, it would corrupt random bits and not specific =
>ASCII characters.
>
>After a few weeks of endless complaints, I disabled SPAN and no corruption =
>has been reported since. WTF????

Which software version did you use on what kind of a switch?

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann

--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
Immunbiologie und Epigenetik