Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows Live Instant Message & web site warning

Windows Live Instant Message & web site warning

Joe J

My wife and I use Windows Live Instant Message a lot and send web sites back
and forth. This new IM version now has this popup warning that this may be
a suspicious site, are you sure you want to proceed.

I have searched everywhere to find a way to disable this function with no
luck.

We are the only two people on IM and have no worries about bad sites, but
the warning requires an extra step each time.

Anybody have any ideas how to disable this "feature" of IM?

Paul

Joe J wrote:
> My wife and I use Windows Live Instant Message a lot and send web sites
> back and forth. This new IM version now has this popup warning that
> this may be a suspicious site, are you sure you want to proceed.
>
> I have searched everywhere to find a way to disable this function with
> no luck.
>
> We are the only two people on IM and have no worries about bad sites,
> but the warning requires an extra step each time.
>
> Anybody have any ideas how to disable this "feature" of IM?

There's a thing called Windows Live Messenger Companion, which
is described as an add_on for Internet Explorer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...nger_Companion

If that's what you're using, it's just as likely that Internet Explorer
is reporting the suspicious site, or, some AV product you're using,
is scanning for URLs and has identified the links using it's own
peculiar sense of humor. So it might not necessarily be the Windows
Live program doing it.

If the dialog came from Windows Live Messenger, then that might be
a Windows Live problem.

Suffice to say, with so many pieces of bloated software involved,
you could spend a lot of time trying to change the behavior. A web page
I was reading a couple weeks ago, claims there are so many
permutations and combinations of settings in the Registry,
it amounts to a couple thousand settings for Internet Explorer
security (zones and the like). And that makes it especially
difficult for mere mortals to adjust any security settings
they might be having problems with. It's not that the
settings are particularly unique, just that you'd have to
adjust a bunch of them, to effectively change one setting.
And because the descriptions of what they do are so confusing,
the odds of smacking just the right one with your whack-a-mole
hammer, are pretty low.

So right now, my money is on this being Messenger Companion,
and the heart of the problem, is the convoluted security model
of Internet Explorer.

Paul

Joe J

"Paul" wrote in message news:jumdjk$kf1$(E-Mail Removed)...

Joe J wrote:
> My wife and I use Windows Live Instant Message a lot and send web sites
> back and forth. This new IM version now has this popup warning that this
> may be a suspicious site, are you sure you want to proceed.
>
> I have searched everywhere to find a way to disable this function with no
> luck.
>
> We are the only two people on IM and have no worries about bad sites, but
> the warning requires an extra step each time.
>
> Anybody have any ideas how to disable this "feature" of IM?

There's a thing called Windows Live Messenger Companion, which
is described as an add_on for Internet Explorer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...nger_Companion

If that's what you're using, it's just as likely that Internet Explorer
is reporting the suspicious site, or, some AV product you're using,
is scanning for URLs and has identified the links using it's own
peculiar sense of humor. So it might not necessarily be the Windows
Live program doing it.

If the dialog came from Windows Live Messenger, then that might be
a Windows Live problem.

Suffice to say, with so many pieces of bloated software involved,
you could spend a lot of time trying to change the behavior. A web page
I was reading a couple weeks ago, claims there are so many
permutations and combinations of settings in the Registry,
it amounts to a couple thousand settings for Internet Explorer
security (zones and the like). And that makes it especially
difficult for mere mortals to adjust any security settings
they might be having problems with. It's not that the
settings are particularly unique, just that you'd have to
adjust a bunch of them, to effectively change one setting.
And because the descriptions of what they do are so confusing,
the odds of smacking just the right one with your whack-a-mole
hammer, are pretty low.

So right now, my money is on this being Messenger Companion,
and the heart of the problem, is the convoluted security model
of Internet Explorer.

Paul
I don't knowingly use IE for anything. The error comes up in the Live
Messenger (V2011 Build 15.4.355.30, but it is Microsoft and I am a mere
mortal <grin>