Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Using Python packaging tools to maintain source distributions inother languages?

Using Python packaging tools to maintain source distributions inother languages?

eric.lemings@gmail.com

Greetings all,

I would like to leverage the Python packaging tools (e.g. distutils, setuptools, distribute, et. al.) to maintain (i.e. download, extract, configure, make, install, package) source distributions other than Python modules (e.g. zlib, openssl).

Are there any open-source packages/tools that already do this? Any documentation in print or on the web that outlines a basic plan for doing such?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

rusi

On Jul 23, 11:16*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I would like to leverage the Python packaging tools (e.g. distutils, setuptools, distribute, et. al.) to maintain (i.e. download, extract, configure, make, install, package) source distributions other than Python modules (e..g. zlib, openssl).
>
> Are there any open-source packages/tools that already do this? *Any documentation in print or on the web that outlines a basic plan for doing such?
>
> Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Ive heard good things about scons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCons

eric.lemings@gmail.com

On Monday, July 23, 2012 11:59:10 PM UTC-6, Rusi wrote:
> On Jul 23, 11:16*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I would like to leverage the Python packaging tools (e.g. distutils,setuptools, distribute, et. al.) to maintain (i.e. download, extract, configure, make, install, package) source distributions other than Python modules (e.g. zlib, openssl).
> >
> > Are there any open-source packages/tools that already do this? *Any documentation in print or on the web that outlines a basic plan for doingsuch?
> >
> > Any and all help greatly appreciated.
>
> Ive heard good things about scons
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCons

I've heard about SCons but don't know much about it. From what little I'veread, it's only a make tool replacement. I'm looking for more "end-to-end" maintenance tools similar to -- perhaps built upon -- disutils, setuptools, and company.

Rusi

On Jul 25, 2:25*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Monday, July 23, 2012 11:59:10 PM UTC-6, Rusi wrote:
> > Ive heard good things about scons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCons

> I've heard about SCons but don't know much about it. *From what little I've read, it's
> only a make tool replacement. *I'm looking for more "end-to-end" maintenance tools similar to --
> perhaps built upon -- disutils, setuptools, and company.

Maybe try the relevant lists/fora like the foll?

http://groups.google.com/group/packaging-guide/about