Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon mirrorless EOS-M specs

Canon mirrorless EOS-M specs

RichA

On Jul 23, 11:57*am, David Taylor <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 23/07/2012 14:23, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>
> > David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> The finder doesn't swivel, and the lenses will not be as compact as 4/3
> >> system. *A disappointment, I'm afraid.

> > OTOH the seonsor is quite larger than 4/3rds and it's in the
> > guise of a compact camera.

> > -Wolfgang

> Yes, it has some good points, but I think that DSLRs are better value
> for money at the moment.

Yes, the new technology does cost. Nikon's D3200 is probably as good
as you'll get for $600 or so.

Brianm

ray wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:02:35 +0100, Bruce wrote:
>

> > http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/full...-specs-leaked/
> >
> > The official announcement of this small, light and inexpensive camera is
> > expected on Monday July 23 at 06:00 GMT. Follow the news here:
> > http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

> Just what we need - yet another mirrorless, viewfinderless ILC.

Don't underestimate the market. I just bought a Sony NEX-5N a couple
months ago, but had I known this was coming I would have waited and
gotten this for a number of reasons.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jul 23, 11:57*am, David Taylor <david-
>(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > OTOH the seonsor is quite larger than 4/3rds and it's in the
>> > guise of a compact camera.

>> > -Wolfgang

>> Yes, it has some good points, but I think that DSLRs are better value
>> for money at the moment.

>Yes, the new technology does cost. Nikon's D3200 is probably as good
>as you'll get for $600 or so.

I took our store demo D3200 out for a day yesterday and was seriously
impressed. 24 MP and good control of noise. Excellent value and the
camera is only slightly bigger than the Panasonic G5.

ray

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:18:56 -0500, Brianm wrote:

> ray wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:02:35 +0100, Bruce wrote:
>>

>> > http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/full...-specs-leaked/
>> >
>> > The official announcement of this small, light and inexpensive camera
>> > is expected on Monday July 23 at 06:00 GMT. Follow the news here:
>> > http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

>> Just what we need - yet another mirrorless, viewfinderless ILC.

> Don't underestimate the market. I just bought a Sony NEX-5N a couple
> months ago, but had I known this was coming I would have waited and
> gotten this for a number of reasons.

On the other hand, I checked the market fairly thoroughly over the last
few months and got a Panasonic G3. Compact, interchangeable lens, fully
articulated touch screen and an EVF. As far as I am concerned (YMMV) a
touch screen is good for changing camera settings. Most often, when I
want to take a picture, I'll prefer the viewfinder.

SMS

On 7/23/2012 1:32 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 23/07/2012 08:44, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>> On 23/07/2012 04:50, RichA wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>> But BTW, where is the spec on
>>> the EVF??

>> There is no EVF. Just the touchscreen.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/

> The finder doesn't swivel, and the lenses will not be as compact as 4/3
> system. A disappointment, I'm afraid.

There will be more bodies than just the first one, and no doubt one will
have a swiveling screen.

The fact that it's not quite as compact as 4/3 is immaterial. The Canon
sensor is 46% larger, which gives it a big advantage over 4/3.

The real competition is the Nikon 1 system, and Canon's system blows it
out of the water.

Paul J Gans

In rec.photo.digital ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:02:35 +0100, Bruce wrote:

>> Follow the news at:
>> http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/
>>
>> Specs of the EOS-M camera are as follows:
>>
>> - 18 million pixels APS-C CMOS sensor - Digic 5 image processing engine
>> - Hybrid CMOS AF (phase-contrast AF on sensor as in Rebel T4i) - Video
>> Servo AF, Servo AF, AF touch
>> - ISO100-12800 (25.600 extension)
>> - shutter speed is 1/4000, bulb, flash sync is 1/200 sec to 30 seconds -
>> Second continuous shooting speed is 4.3 frames / - 1.04 million dot LCD
>> monitor 3.0-type wide, touch panel - The media SD / SDHC / SDXC
>> (corresponding UHS-I) - Video is 1920?1080 30p/25p/24p, 1280?720
>> 60p/50p, 640?480 30p/25p - video compression MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, audio
>> Linear PCM, MOV format - EF lens mount adapter EF-EOS M
>> - Hand-held Twilight mode
>> - HDR mode to synthesize three different exposure - Multi-shot noise
>> reduction function to reduce the noise by combining the four images
>> - Creative filters
>> - The size is x 66.5mm (width) 108.6mm (height) x 32.3mm (depth) - The
>> weight (body only) 262g, (including battery and memory card) 298g
>> - Kit lens EF-M 22mm STM, EF-M 18-55mm IS STM - EF lens adapter to be
>> available
>>
>> http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/full...-specs-leaked/
>>
>> The official announcement of this small, light and inexpensive camera is
>> expected on Monday July 23 at 06:00 GMT. Follow the news here:
>> http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

>Just what we need - yet another mirrorless, viewfinderless ILC.

And it can't handle 35mm film either.

Wotta waste...

--
--- Paul J. Gans

ray

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 23:44:14 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

> In rec.photo.digital ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:02:35 +0100, Bruce wrote:

>>> Follow the news at:
>>> http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/
>>>
>>> Specs of the EOS-M camera are as follows:
>>>
>>> - 18 million pixels APS-C CMOS sensor - Digic 5 image processing
>>> engine - Hybrid CMOS AF (phase-contrast AF on sensor as in Rebel T4i)
>>> - Video Servo AF, Servo AF, AF touch
>>> - ISO100-12800 (25.600 extension)
>>> - shutter speed is 1/4000, bulb, flash sync is 1/200 sec to 30 seconds
>>> - Second continuous shooting speed is 4.3 frames / - 1.04 million dot
>>> LCD monitor 3.0-type wide, touch panel - The media SD / SDHC / SDXC
>>> (corresponding UHS-I) - Video is 1920?1080 30p/25p/24p, 1280?720
>>> 60p/50p, 640?480 30p/25p - video compression MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, audio
>>> Linear PCM, MOV format - EF lens mount adapter EF-EOS M - Hand-held
>>> Twilight mode
>>> - HDR mode to synthesize three different exposure - Multi-shot noise
>>> reduction function to reduce the noise by combining the four images -
>>> Creative filters
>>> - The size is x 66.5mm (width) 108.6mm (height) x 32.3mm (depth) - The
>>> weight (body only) 262g, (including battery and memory card) 298g -
>>> Kit lens EF-M 22mm STM, EF-M 18-55mm IS STM - EF lens adapter to be
>>> available
>>>
>>> http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/full...-specs-leaked/
>>>
>>> The official announcement of this small, light and inexpensive camera
>>> is expected on Monday July 23 at 06:00 GMT. Follow the news here:
>>> http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

>>Just what we need - yet another mirrorless, viewfinderless ILC.

> And it can't handle 35mm film either.
>
> Wotta waste...

My comment was prompted by my recent search for a compact (preferably,
but not necessarily mirrorless) camera with a viewfinder. VF's
(electronic or optical) are quite scarce these days. I finally settled on
a Panasonic G3 with EVF and fully articulated, touch screen LCD.

David Taylor

On 23/07/2012 23:45, SMS wrote:
> On 7/23/2012 1:32 AM, David Taylor wrote:
>> On 23/07/2012 08:44, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>>> On 23/07/2012 04:50, RichA wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> There is no EVF. Just the touchscreen.
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/

>> The finder doesn't swivel, and the lenses will not be as compact as 4/3
>> system. A disappointment, I'm afraid.

> There will be more bodies than just the first one, and no doubt one will
> have a swiveling screen.
>
> The fact that it's not quite as compact as 4/3 is immaterial. The Canon
> sensor is 46% larger, which gives it a big advantage over 4/3.
>
> The real competition is the Nikon 1 system, and Canon's system blows it
> out of the water.

Yes, if it sells well enough (and likely to just because of the brand
name), there will be better models. Agreed that the Nikon-1 doesn't
stand up well, but 4/3 is a more comprehensive competitor, with multiple
suppliers of bodies and lenses. A slightly larger sensor is better,
yes, but not a staggering advantage - just a little more sensitive and a
little different depth-of-field.

Doubtless many purchasers will be partially blinded by brand loyalty,
but as an [expensive] compact with the pancake lens the camera will
likely have its place.
--
Cheers,
David

sms88

On 7/23/2012 11:54 PM, David Taylor wrote:

> Yes, if it sells well enough (and likely to just because of the brand
> name), there will be better models. Agreed that the Nikon-1 doesn't
> stand up well, but 4/3 is a more comprehensive competitor, with multiple
> suppliers of bodies and lenses. A slightly larger sensor is better,
> yes, but not a staggering advantage - just a little more sensitive and a
> little different depth-of-field.
>
> Doubtless many purchasers will be partially blinded by brand loyalty,
> but as an [expensive] compact with the pancake lens the camera will
> likely have its place.

The big appeal to current Canon owners is that they can use their
existing lenses. An EF-s lens is especially well-suited to the EOS-m.

4/3 has gone nowhere due to all of its inherent problems. The EOS-m
sensor is not "slightly larger" it's significantly larger. The noise
problems with 4/3 will not be as much of a problem on EF-m. I would have
preferred a 12MP sensor and lower noise to the 18MP sensor.

David Taylor

On 24/07/2012 12:51, sms88 wrote:
> On 7/23/2012 11:54 PM, David Taylor wrote:
>
>> Yes, if it sells well enough (and likely to just because of the brand
>> name), there will be better models. Agreed that the Nikon-1 doesn't
>> stand up well, but 4/3 is a more comprehensive competitor, with multiple
>> suppliers of bodies and lenses. A slightly larger sensor is better,
>> yes, but not a staggering advantage - just a little more sensitive and a
>> little different depth-of-field.
>>
>> Doubtless many purchasers will be partially blinded by brand loyalty,
>> but as an [expensive] compact with the pancake lens the camera will
>> likely have its place.

> The big appeal to current Canon owners is that they can use their
> existing lenses. An EF-s lens is especially well-suited to the EOS-m.
>
> 4/3 has gone nowhere due to all of its inherent problems. The EOS-m
> sensor is not "slightly larger" it's significantly larger. The noise
> problems with 4/3 will not be as much of a problem on EF-m. I would have
> preferred a 12MP sensor and lower noise to the 18MP sensor.

Yes, you can use existing lenses, but the lenses are then just the same
size and weight as on a DSLR, and you lose the optical viewfinder!

(Oh, and the note I was says it can use EF, not EF-S lenses, but perhaps
that was just an omission.)

The sensor size advantage of APS-C over 4/3 is about half an EVF value
(with the same lens f/number) - perhaps that's significant to you.

Having said all of that, were Nikon to have produced a mirror-less
camera, with swivel LCD and EVF and built-in flash, it would have been
in my consideration as my next camera (I'm hoping for a D5200 soon!),
but the Canon unit is right at the bottom end of the range lacking so
many facilities, and yet priced much higher.
--
Cheers,
David