Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: A thread import problem

Re: A thread import problem

Bruce Sherwood

I couldn't get a simple test case to work. I append a listing of the
little test files, all in the same folder. The diagnostic statement
print('after start_new_thread\n') works, but then nothing. Originally
I tried importing testABA.py but was worried that the circular
importing (A imports B which imports A) would be a problem, hence the
test of importing a version of the test program without the import.

The failure of this test case suggests that one cannot do imports
inside secondary threads started in imported modules, something I keep
tripping over. But I hope you'll be able to tell me that I'm doing
something wrong!

Incidentally, a simple test is to execute the file ABA.py, in which
case everything works.

Bruce Sherwood

---------------------------
testABA.py -- execute this file

from ABA import *
print('exec testABA')
from math import sin
print(sin(3.14159/6))

----------------------------
testABA_noimport.py -- a version of testABA.py without the import of ABA

print('exec testABA_noimport')
from math import sin
print(sin(3.14159/6))

ABA.py

from thread import start_new_thread
from time import sleep
import sys

user = 'testABA_noimport'
start_new_thread(lambda: __import__(user), ())
print('after start_new_thread\n')

while True:
sleep(1)