Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What happens when payment to a web site is stopped?

Reply
Thread Tools

What happens when payment to a web site is stopped?

 
 
fulio pen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2012
Hello,

A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.

What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?

Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?

Thanks for the information.
fulio pen
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Denis McMahon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2012
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700, fulio pen wrote:

> What will happen if he stops the payment?


If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
provider usually stops providing the service.

A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
the event of non payment.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stephen Wolstenholme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2012
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700 (PDT), fulio pen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
>
>What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
>
>Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
>
>Thanks for the information.
>fulio pen


It depends on the hosting arrangement. Some companies will take down
the site very quickly, others give months of warning emails before
removing sites.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. http://www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. http://www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. http://www.justnn.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2012
Denis McMahon wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700, fulio pen wrote:
>
>> What will happen if he stops the payment?

>
> If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
> provider usually stops providing the service.
>
> A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
> this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
> using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
> website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
> Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
> the event of non payment.


On Debian it's a one-liner

sudo a2dissite deadbeat.site && sudo apache2ctl restart

or non-macro old fashion way

sudo rm /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deadbeat.site && sudo
/etc/init.d/apache2 reload



--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2012
In article <juecvh$51j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Denis McMahon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700, fulio pen wrote:
>
> > What will happen if he stops the payment?

>
> If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
> provider usually stops providing the service.
>
> A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
> this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
> using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
> website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
> Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
> the event of non payment.
>
> Rgds
>
> Denis McMahon


You don't say! I gather that motherhood on this planet are regarded in
a sympathetic way.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
fulio pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A web site owner pays ... the hosting service for his
> site.
>
> What will happen if he stops the payment?


Sometimes, at least, various pages stay up for years, I had a case of
this the other day. But mostly, commercial hosts delete all your files
fairly quickly.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Levi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2012
fulio pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
>
>What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
>
>Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
>
>Thanks for the information.
>fulio pen


My only experience is with a free web site at <http://000Webhost.com>
but I am reasonably confident that other hosts would do something
similar. When they terminate the service, in my case because no one
had visited for a period that they had specified, there was no remote
access to the site by FTP or HTTP. However, I could log in to my
account and reinstate the site. In your case I assume you would need
to pay first. I don't know how long a hosting service would keep a
dead site but the time is probably fairly arbitrary depending on their
current disk capacity.
 
Reply With Quote
 
fulio pen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2012
On Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:24:24 AM UTC-4, Gordon Levi wrote:
> fulio pen &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt; wrote:
>
> &gt;Hello,
> &gt;
> &gt;A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
> &gt;
> &gt;What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue toview the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
> &gt;
> &gt;Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it.But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
> &gt;
> &gt;Thanks for the information.
> &gt;fulio pen
>
> My only experience is with a free web site at &lt;http://000Webhost.com&gt;
> but I am reasonably confident that other hosts would do something
> similar. When they terminate the service, in my case because no one
> had visited for a period that they had specified, there was no remote
> access to the site by FTP or HTTP. However, I could log in to my
> account and reinstate the site. In your case I assume you would need
> to pay first. I don't know how long a hosting service would keep a
> dead site but the time is probably fairly arbitrary depending on their
> current disk capacity.


Fairly sad. As an old man, I wish my site would continue to be online for some time, three years for instance, after I die. Other people of same interest will have a chance to visit it. They may get some revelations from my ideas, which will help their own work. Hope web sites can stay online as books on the shelf.

Thanks for your information.

fulio pen


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
fulio pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As an old man, I wish my site would continue to be online for some time,
> three years for instance, after I die.


No need to merely wish, pay three years in advance to a one or two
very reputable hosts. It is will be like nothing compared to the cost
of the funeral and headstone.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsresources cyber XML 1 12-25-2007 11:48 PM
List of free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsresources cyber HTML 0 12-21-2007 03:47 PM
List of free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layoutsweb sites cyber HTML 1 12-19-2007 09:07 AM
What happens when type conversion between signed and unsigned happens? NM C++ 6 09-20-2006 05:39 PM
online payment options for web site? neutrino NZ Computing 6 02-22-2006 12:29 PM



Advertisments