Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Sudden doubling of nearly all messages

Sudden doubling of nearly all messages

Dave Angel

On 07/21/2012 08:13 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:48:29 -0400, Dave Angel wrote:
>
>> Has anybody else noticed the sudden double-posting of nearly all
>> messages in the python mailing list?

> No I have not.
>
> It sounds like a problem with your Usenet provider. Remember that this
> news group is a mirror of the mailing list http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) so you
> can check the mail archives to see if the problem is there. It is also
> mirrored by gmane (I *think* it is gmane.comp.python.general).

I don't have a usenet provider, I use the straight email, collected as
regular email, by Thunderbird. I thought for a while that perhaps my
imap provider had hiccupped, and just reloaded all the same messages.
But it happened in several sessions, and for the messages I checked, the
emails were *NOT* identical.

>> Previously, I've seen some messages double posted, and it was nearly
>> always a newbie, presumably posting via some low-end gateway.

> Some people also annoyingly send to both the newsgroup *and* the mailing
> list, not realising -- or not caring -- that they are the same thing.

That may be because many other messages (including this one from you)
list the newsgroup in the headers, so a reply-all generates it as one of
the recipients. The only reason I don't fall into that trap is that I
have Thunderbird configured to *not* send to any newsgroup.

--

DaveA

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Steven D'Aprano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 04:25:21 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Use whichever service you like, but don't seriously expect anything that
>> you don't pay money for to be perfectly featured AND not spy on you.

> http://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html

They go for privacy at the cost of everything else, and that's fine.
But you still can't depend on its featureset. With a mailing list /
newsgroup reader, there's a whole lot of little things that you'd
probably like, but you can't depend on it; such things cost money, and
most companies that give you stuff that cost money without charging
you money are going to be selling ad space, ergo the temptation to
harvest information about you.

But as I said, I don't care. Google doesn't get any information about
me that I'm not willing for them to get. Let 'em show me ads. And
sometimes they're even useful!

ChrisA

Rick Johnson

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:16:24 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Just to clarify, I'm not advocating the

[...snip...]

Well. Well. Backpedaling AND brown-nosing in a single post. Nice!

Rick Johnson

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:16:24 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Just to clarify, I'm not advocating the

[...snip...]

Well. Well. Backpedaling AND brown-nosing in a single post. Nice!

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Rick Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:16:24 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify, I'm not advocating the

> [...snip...]
>
> Well. Well. Backpedaling AND brown-nosing in a single post. Nice!

Absolutely. Haven't you noticed that I'm one of those mad people who
goes everywhere in reverse? My backpedal is saying the exact same
thing as my frontpedal!

Curiouser and curiouser...

ChrisA

Rotwang

On 21/07/2012 19:16, Rick Johnson wrote:
> [...]
>
> It's due to the new Google Groups interface. They started forcing everyone to use the new buggy version about a week ago EVEN THOUGH the old interface is just fine.

I disagree - the old interface was dreadful and needed fixing.

The new one is much worse, obviously.

--
I have made a thing that superficially resembles music:

http://soundcloud.com/eroneity/we-be...-own-crapiness