Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyPy, is it a 1:1 replacement for CPython?

PyPy, is it a 1:1 replacement for CPython?

Simon Cropper

Hi,

Can you use PyPy as a direct replacement for the normal python or is it
a specialized compiler that can only work with libraries that are
manipulated to operate within its constraints (if it has any).

Are there any issues with using PyPy? For example, if programs are
created under PyPy are they subtle different from normal code that would
make the program incompatible with the normal compiler?

--
Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides
Introduction http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
GIS Packages http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/gis
bash / Python http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/scripting

Steven D'Aprano

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 13:35:21 +1000, Simon Cropper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you use PyPy as a direct replacement for the normal python or is it
> a specialized compiler that can only work with libraries that are
> manipulated to operate within its constraints (if it has any).

PyPy should work perfectly with pure-Python software. I don't know if it
is compatible with extension libraries written in C or Fortran.

> Are there any issues with using PyPy? For example, if programs are
> created under PyPy are they subtle different from normal code that would
> make the program incompatible with the normal compiler?

I don't expect so. There may be special PyPy functions that other
Python's won't have, but I don't know of any. If you stick to standard
library and language features as described in the normal Python docs, you
should be fine.

--
Steven