Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Execution using javaw differs from Windows 7 default

Execution using javaw differs from Windows 7 default

Gordon Levi

I have an application that uses the JDBC-ODBC driver that worked in
the (Netbeans) IDE but failed to find the (Access) database when using
the default file association under Windows 7. In the hope of getting
some more information I ran the application in a command line window
using javaw and it worked.

In summary, clicking on a shortcut to "C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
file in Windows 7 failed because it did not find my database although
it invoked myapp. Clicking on a shortcut to
"C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
works. Can someone explain why?

In case it is relevant, I did try the jar file's directory and the
database directory for the "Start in:" directory.

Lew

Gordon Levi wrote:
> I have an application that uses the JDBC-ODBC driver that worked in
> the (Netbeans) IDE but failed to find the (Access) database when using
> the default file association under Windows 7. In the hope of getting
> some more information I ran the application in a command line window
> using javaw and it worked.
>
> In summary, clicking on a shortcut to "C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
> file in Windows 7 failed because it did not find my database although
> it invoked myapp. Clicking on a shortcut to
> "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
> works. Can someone explain why?
>
> In case it is relevant, I did try the jar file's directory and the
> database directory for the "Start in:" directory.

Apparently the file association to the JAR files is not "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar %1".

What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:52:14 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/association.html for how to find out.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Gordon Levi

Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gordon Levi wrote:
>> I have an application that uses the JDBC-ODBC driver that worked in
>> the (Netbeans) IDE but failed to find the (Access) database when using
>> the default file association under Windows 7. In the hope of getting
>> some more information I ran the application in a command line window
>> using javaw and it worked.
>>
>> In summary, clicking on a shortcut to &quot;C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar&quot;
>> file in Windows 7 failed because it did not find my database although
>> it invoked myapp. Clicking on a shortcut to
>> "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
>> works. Can someone explain why?
>>
>> In case it is relevant, I did try the jar file's directory and the
>> database directory for the "Start in:" directory.

>Apparently the file association to the JAR files is not "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar %1".
>
>What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

I think if I knew that "exactly" I might have been able to answer my
own question. Window 7 shows it as a pretty Java icon with a
description of "Java(TM) Platform SE binary".

David

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:52:14 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>
>>What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

>see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/association.html for how to find out.

That does not seem to answer Lew's question in Windows 7.

Andreas Leitgeb

Gordon Levi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Apparently the file association to the JAR files is not "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar %1".
>> What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

> I think if I knew that "exactly" I might have been able to answer my
> own question.

Maybe one needs to check in the registry...
Does regedit.exe still exist on Windows 7?
Is the "Execute..." item still in the start-menu?
(Does the start-menu still exist?)

I don't really know. I don't have a Windows 7 machine at hand.

Luuk

On 21-07-2012 18:11, Gordon Levi wrote:
> Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gordon Levi wrote:
>>> I have an application that uses the JDBC-ODBC driver that worked in
>>> the (Netbeans) IDE but failed to find the (Access) database when using
>>> the default file association under Windows 7. In the hope of getting
>>> some more information I ran the application in a command line window
>>> using javaw and it worked.
>>>
>>> In summary, clicking on a shortcut to &quot;C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar&quot;
>>> file in Windows 7 failed because it did not find my database although
>>> it invoked myapp. Clicking on a shortcut to
>>> "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
>>> works. Can someone explain why?
>>>
>>> In case it is relevant, I did try the jar file's directory and the
>>> database directory for the "Start in:" directory.

>> Apparently the file association to the JAR files is not "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar %1".
>>
>> What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

> I think if I knew that "exactly" I might have been able to answer my
> own question. Window 7 shows it as a pretty Java icon with a
> description of "Java(TM) Platform SE binary".

on a comman-prompt try this:
O:\>assoc .jar
..jar=jarfile

O:\>ftype jarfile
jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

O:\>

(after the 'ftype' specify the output of the first command)

The output of this second line is the command that is executed when you
double click a jar-file.
The above output show what will be executed if i do this on MY computer,
repeat the steps to show what will be executed on YOUR computer.

Luuk

On 21-07-2012 18:50, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> Gordon Levi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Lew wrote:
>>> Apparently the file association to the JAR files is not "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar %1".
>>> What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

>> I think if I knew that "exactly" I might have been able to answer my
>> own question.

> Maybe one needs to check in the registry...
> Does regedit.exe still exist on Windows 7?

of course, Microsfot won't let that precious tool go!

> Is the "Execute..." item still in the start-menu?

not it's called 'Run..' from some time now..

> (Does the start-menu still exist?)

Yeas, how would someone shutdown his computer, i was learned to start
pressing teh 'start' button for that....

> I don't really know. I don't have a Windows 7 machine at hand.

(sigh)....

Roedy Green

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 02:16:15 +1000, David <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

>>see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/association.html for how to find out.

>That does not seem to answer Lew's question in Windows 7.

oops. I have updated them to put the more recent methods on top.
--

Gordon Levi wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Gordon Levi wrote:
>>> I have an application that uses the JDBC-ODBC driver that worked in
>>> the (Netbeans) IDE but failed to find the (Access) database when using
>>> the default file association under Windows 7. In the hope of getting
>>> some more information I ran the application in a command line window
>>> using javaw and it worked.
>>>
>>> In summary, clicking on a shortcut to &quot;C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar&quot;
>>> file in Windows 7 failed because it did not find my database although
>>> it invoked myapp. Clicking on a shortcut to
>>> "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar C:\src\myapp\dist\myapp.jar"
>>> works. Can someone explain why?
>>>
>>> In case it is relevant, I did try the jar file's directory and the
>>> database directory for the "Start in:" directory.

>> Apparently the file association to the JAR files is not "C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar %1".
>>
>> What exactly is your associated command for JAR files?

> I think if I knew that "exactly" I might have been able to answer my

Then maybe you should find out and answer it.

> own question. Window 7 shows it as a pretty Java icon with a
> description of "Java(TM) Platform SE binary".

I guess you'd better find out how to determine Windows associations.

Maybe google it, or ask in a Windows forum.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.