Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Pro's don't clean their lenses.

Re: Pro's don't clean their lenses.

RichA

On Jul 17, 5:57*am, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcbo...ic&forum=190&t....
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Cleaning a lens with a Lens Pen isn't much better than using a dirty
shirt.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Cleaning a lens with a Lens Pen isn't much better than using a dirty
> shirt.

nonsense. of course it is.

RichA

On Jul 18, 3:41*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Cleaning a lens with a Lens Pen isn't much better than using a dirty
> > shirt.

> nonsense. of course it is.

A lens pen brush is ok to use, but using that pad on the things, re-
using them to clean a lens is a recipe for disaster. Most of the
airborne dust we see is human skin, pollen, but a good percentage is
quartz, beach sand, and is hardness 7 on the MOH scale. Lens glass
ranges from hardness 4 to about 5.5 which is easily scratched by the
quartz. If enough of that crap is picked-up and accumulated by the
pad on a lens pen, it'll act as an abrasive on whatever lens you are
using it.