Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] Pairs; "The Duck Comments"

Re: [SI] Pairs; "The Duck Comments"

watchmaker

Savageduck wrote:
> We seem to have had a good turnout and some thoughtful work. Thank to
> all who played.

I agree - an overall excellent group of photos

> Alan Browne:
> Pairs-01:
> I like the concept, Adirondack chair and glass of wine, with a subdued
> color palette, but the cast shadow is not quite a pair, or a reflection.
> However the slats of the chair fully qualify.

I think the wine glass works well as an "echo" which, in visual terms
(to me), is more abstract than a direct pair or reflection.

> Pairs-02:
> Pattern of Sun dried mud flat. Nice. Are you guys experiencing the
> heatwave and drought up in Canada?

I really like the image implies tension between the heat of the sum and
the cool of new growth vegetation and just a touch of the water. To me
images that tell a story beyond the mandate are the most successful

> Watchmaker:
> Pairs-01:
> Great depiction of paired action implied by the movement blur. Nice.

You should have heard what the father of the bride (the gentleman on the
left) had to say about it! Good thing I was just shooting candids. I
took a lot of photos at the wedding but this one I felt best captured
the sheer energy everyone had, (10:00 pm and dinner hadn't been served
yet) as well as my involvement/intrusion with a religious group not
known for accepting outsiders. The actual movement is that most men
dance around the central area and the major (male) players dance back
and forth in the center.

> Pairs-02:
> Nice capture of a pair of bottles with glass stoppers submitted as a
> proof shot. I like it, as all the qualities of the glass are there for
> us without any lighting intrusion. Great job.

These are antique jeweler's acid bottles, backlit with a light table,
and shot on a Hasselblad 550ELX with 80mm/2.8 Planar and extension
bellows. Shot on Tri-X at ISO 400 and developed normally. Once I got the
light tables set up, I think I shot every piece of glass in the
apartment over the course of 3 weeks.

> Pairs-03:
> Now this is interesting. A name and location for this derelict pair of
> walls would be interesting. I would guess at bridge buttresses or bin
> walls of an old quarry, or mining installation, all very intriguing.
> Great shadows and textures and more good work.

These are two out of 13 abandoned railroad abutments in Maryland.
Besides deciding what was a "pair" there was a very difficult scale
issue. Some of the other shots look like tombstones, some focus too
closely on the exposed rebar. These are definitely shots I wouldn't have
if I didn't have a camera stored in the car, in my backpack, and
everywhere else. The rail line was expanded from one track to two many
years ago -- it used to be only freight but now also carries commuter
rail. It looks like the new line is about 100' to the West, which would
be behind the old trestles and trees.

> Max Duryee:
> Pairs-01:
> Patterns on a wood panel, but for me this is not too exciting,
> technically good, but not exciting.

My first reaction was similar, but then I started really looking at the
little patterns between the rectangular sections. They are the same
shape but each one shows the wood grain differently. That raises the
interest level for me. And I don't think it would work as well without
the overall "peacock's tail" pattern above the smaller ones.

> Pairs-02:
> A different pair with patterns. This is tough to capture and well
> executed here. I like the paired pattern with filtered light through the
> glass panel. Good work.

Agreed, especially since the more you look at the two windows the more
differences show up. A pair but not identical twins.

> Pairs-03:
> Wrought iron window security bars reflected on the glass, an interesting
> idea, again technically good, but there is just something about the
> composition which does not grab me. Perhaps cropped a bit too tight?

To me the venetian blinds detract from the overall sense of pattern.
They interfere with one row of reflections. Conversely I think the
"Neighborhood Watch" sticker on the far left absolutely nails the
required asymmetry!

> Savageduck (yours truly):
> Pairs-01:
> The idea here was to have the triple pattern of the three white tipped
> power station smoke stacks repeated by the three white tipped pilings.

As well it does. But to me that is just part of an interesting photo.
There are contrasts between the jumble of the boatyards and the
emptiness of the water. The chaos of the boatyards and the purity of the
power plant. If you'd been able to get the Gods to smooth out the water
and have more distinct reflections of the smokestacks this would be perfect.

> Pairs-02:
> What can I say? A pair of fishing boats.

Their names both start with "L" ... More contrasts - the water
reflections on the hulls are different enough to wonder what's going on
below. And the evidence of harsh sunlight on Langosta II's deck is dealt
with technically very well without anything blown out.

> Pairs-03:
> The kayaks were all over the place some stacked vertically, some in
> racks, but these four were just made to order for this mandate.

I also wondered about noise, but since there isn't any in the out of
focus areas I chalked it up to ignorance on my part. An overall very
nice composition with a great color sequence. The water is beautifully
soft and cool. I really appreciate the way you placed the prominent
diagonal just off from the corner of the image so it's not "severe" or
"academic"

> Otter:
> Pairs-01:
> There you go, a pattern, a series, product of an eye seeking originality.

The challenge (and reward) of an image like this is that you have one
overall image made up of 9 individual images. What works here is the
contrast between hard and soft edges, and a reduced color palate. It
would be interesting to see a version with a 2 x 3 arrangement of the
squares.

> Pairs-02:
> Another imaginative capture of a patten replicated in series. What can I
> say? I like it.

This one is gorgeous. The one orange seat smack dab at the third point
both horizontal and vertical. The weird shape of a folded chair
magnified by seemingly endless repetition. The floor -- oh my God people
can be pigs! And not least, the vertical angle so extreme as to almost
to give me vertigo. Excellent.

> Pairs-03:
> Stretching the concept a bit here with the pair of antennae. However it
> a great cityscape encompassing the mandate.

I don't know the city but I wonder if there are any other prominent
buildings with similar shapes as the ones shown here visible from the
same place. I do appreciate the photo as a photo of a city and not just
of three antennae.

> KurtP:
> Pairs-01:
> A fine, elegant interpretation of the mandate using the pair of glasses
> and including the reflection of the room. Fine work. I like this a lot.

Good composition, muted palate, great edge definition on the glass on
the left. The blue reflections draw the eye in to explore the symmetries
at the smaller level. Well done.

> Pairs-02:
> A similar concept to #1, but this one doesn’t quite work for me, perhaps
> it is the tight crop, or odd angle created by shooting from above to the
> right. Who knows?

To me the colors don't work as well as "Pairs-01". The wood and liquor
are fighting with each other, and the out of focus lawn(?) doesn't have
the interest of the fireplace in #1. However, I'll take a drink!

> Pairs-03:
> I like this one. An illusory pair of lense which would not exist without
> the reflection. Nice work.

I love this image. I'm a sucker for multiple reflections anyway, but the
layering of the lens body, granite, glass multicoating, and reflections
is fantastic. Call Canon and offer it for sale!

> Tony Cooper:
> Pairs-01:
> Nice pair Tony, but boy! are they LOUD! I hope they were naturally over
> saturated, and not you trying for some sort of PeterN abstraction.
> Otherwise, nice capture of birdies.

Lorikeets are naturally loud, aren't they. Lout as in high volume. If
it's a saturation study then I think you didn't go far enough on the
non-bird parts -- either over or under would be interesting.

> Pairs-02:
> Interesting harsh contrast B&W treatment of a pair of tracks. Now this
> borders on being a B&W abstract.

Good contrast between the broken-up ballast and the smooth white rails.
I would push the contrast further to black out the trees because in the
mid distance the ballast and tree granularities are fighting with each
other.

> Pairs-03:
> A pair of fuzzy fellas. Nice capture.

For me the fur is the interest here. It's hard to tell what's going on
in the lower left, which is a pity since the sys starts its journey there.

> ClearyC:
> Pairs-01:
> A nice capture of a pair of chicks being fed by a parent. Great capture.

Those have got to be teenagers, not chicks! Here I find the interest in
the faces of the birds. A good depiction of the everlasting sibling
rivalry whenever mom or dad shows up with dinner.

> Pairs-02:
> Great capture of the pair of Dragonflies. The detail in the Dragonflies
> and their lacy wings is good and balanced by the background and OOF
> areas. Good work.

Beautiful. The wings caught my eye first, then the heads, then the rest.
A wonderful image.

> Pairs-03:
> Nice flower macro producing a very organic pattern. Greens and yellows
> nicely offset by the grey background.
>
> DaveC:
> Pairs-01:
> Very nice pair of drops with reflections, all enhanced by the soft green
> background.

The only thing I would add is the complex background refracted in the
two water drops juxtaposed with the sedate green image background. Very
nice.

I'm going to stop here because I'm exhausted. More to come once I regain
my strength.

--Watchmaker

otter

On Jul 18, 12:01*pm, watchmaker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Otter:

> > Pairs-02:
> > Another imaginative capture of a patten replicated in series. What can I
> > say? I like it.

> This one is gorgeous. The one orange seat smack dab at the third point
> both horizontal and vertical. The weird shape of a folded chair
> magnified by seemingly endless repetition. The floor -- oh my God people
> can be pigs!

It was raining. That's probably what you see.

> > Pairs-03:
> > Stretching the concept a bit here with the pair of antennae. However it
> > a great cityscape encompassing the mandate.

> I don't know the city but I wonder if there are any other prominent
> buildings with similar shapes as the ones shown here visible from the
> same place. I do appreciate the photo as a photo of a city and not just
> of three antennae.

Here are some more shots of the mystery city, mostly from the same
location.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...9292/lightbox/
click the arrow for a slide show, or just click "next" (7 pics)

otter

On Jul 18, 12:01*pm, watchmaker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Watchmaker:
> > Pairs-01:
> > Great depiction of paired action implied by the movement blur. Nice.

> You should have heard what the father of the bride (the gentleman on the
> left) had to say about it! Good thing I was just shooting candids. I
> took a lot of photos at the wedding but this one I felt best captured
> the sheer energy everyone had, (10:00 pm and dinner hadn't been served
> yet) as well as my involvement/intrusion with a religious group not
> known for accepting outsiders. The actual movement is that most men
> dance around the central area and the major (male) players dance back
> and forth in the center.

Interesting. I had this pegged as a graduation scene. What was the
religious group?

duck duck go peter NZ Computing 1 01-09-2011 05:19 AM
FA:Marx Brothers boxset - Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers HappyHunter DVD Video 0 09-29-2003 06:53 AM
Re: DUCK! IT'S THE D60 !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 20 09-05-2003 04:19 PM
Re: DUCK! IT'S THE D60 !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 6 09-05-2003 04:16 PM
DUCK! IT'S THE D60 !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 3 09-03-2003 03:59 PM

Advertisments