Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: MY COMMENTS [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

Re: MY COMMENTS [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

MG

> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

First time commenting, so I'm a little apprehensive.

Alan Browne 1 Old
I like it. But as someone else said, it would be better without the
window frame in the corner.

Watchmaker Old 2
This type of photo doesn't appeal to me, so I can't really comment on it

Watchmaker Old 1
Nice photo, but the black Kodak surround should have been cropped off

Watchmaker 3
I would like to see a colour version of this. Would it be better? I
think so.

Max Duryee 1
An interesting pattern, but it doesn't translate into an interesting photo.

Max Duryee 2
I like this one. Very well done.

Max Duryee 3
I like this one too. I like the repetition of the pattern in the
reflection. I feel that it can somehow be improved, but I'm not sure
how. What would it be like it was shot from a slight angle instead of
square on?

Savageduck 01
I like the 3 poles in the foreground and 3 chimney stacks in the
background. I feel the right hand side of the photo is too busy and
detracts from the photo. Crop off the right 60% and keep the left 40%.

Savageduck 02
Again, too busy. It would be better if the boat in the background wasn't
there, but not much you can do about that.

Savageduck 03
This one doesn't do it for me. I couldn't work out what these things
are. I was thinking along the lines of a keyring ornament. Then I saw
your post that they are kayaks. Also, they look like they have huge
amount of noise. As if the photo was taken with a cheap cell phone and
then heavily cropped.

otter 1
Well done. An everyday sight turned into an interesting photo. Could be
improved the photo had a foundation. Include the bottom (horizontal)
shelf in the photo.

otter 2
Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.

otter 3
This one doesn't work for me. A city scape spoiled by 3 ugly steel towers.

KurtP 1
Excellent

KurtP 2
OK. Not as good as the previous one.

KurtP 3
Nice. I feel that for this mandate (reflections) it could have been
improved by cropping differently. Have more reflections in the bottom
right corner. Crop some of the lens in the top left. This will emphasize
the reflection.

Tony Cooper Lorikeets
I don't know what these birds look like in real life, so find it
difficult to comment. But my first impression is that the birds have
been over-brightened to the extent that detail has been lost in the
feathers.

Tony Cooper Merging Pairs
For me, railway lines don't make interesting subject matter. But this
one looks good. The high contrast works well.

Tony Cooper Marmosets
This one hasn't worked for me. The eyes are well exposed and in focus.
But the fur is overexposed with blown highlights which spoils the photo.

ClearyC bird fight
A mother feeding her twins, well captured.

DaveC pair of drops
Very good. The reflections in the drops are excellent

ClearyC pair of lovers.
The insects are well captured. But the background spoils the photo.
Would look much better if they were on green foliage.

ClearyC sunflower
Well captured. Good angle.

DaveC wave pattern
To me this has a very artificial look about it. It looks as if the water
has paint brush streaks in it.

Tim Conway 3
Two sets of intersecting patterns. Well done. But the photo is very soft
which doesn't work for me.

Tim Conway old 1
Very good

Tim Conway old 2
For this mandate (reflections) this is a missed opportunity. If the
camera had been pointed down you could have caught the relfectiond of
the trees in the water.

Peter Newman fishing net
This photo is missing a point of interest. If there had been a nice big
fish in the net .......

Peter Newman parade
Another photo that doesn't appeal to me, so I can't comment on it

Peter Newman strawberry
Excellent. I like it

EricS 1
Very colourful. I like it

EricS 2
This one hasn't worked for me. I don't see how it fits mandate. A
self-portrait in a mirror? There doesn't seem to be a focus point.

EricS 3
Very good. The reflection of the balloon is good. Then there is more to
look at.

MG
all three of mine are of egyptian geese

Bob Coe 1
The red boat in the foreground is too dominant. It draws attention away
from the twin buildings. And the brown building on the right edge spoils
the effect of the twin buildings. Not much you can do about that.

Bob Coe 2
An excellent pattern of buses. The overhead cable should have been
cloned out.

Bob Coe 3
Interesting photo, trying to figure out what is real and what is
reflections. The white rectangle in the upper right corner (with the
piece of furniture) is out of place in the photo. Crop it out?

Martha Coe 1
A good photo showing the patterns of doors and windows

Martha Coe 2
Very interesting patterns in the bricks. I wonder if the photo would be
better if you had zoomed in on these patterns?

Martha Coe 3
An interesting building, well captured.

Bowser 1
A pair of ferries. Good photo

Bowser 2
Nice photo. An interesting entrance to an interesting building. But does
it fit the mandate?

Bowser 3
I like this one. The row of chimneys capture attention. Then on second
look there is the row of windows.

Bob Flint 1 and 2
Neither of these photos has a point of interest. There needs to be a
bright flower or something. I also don't see the connection to the mandate.

Bob Flint 3
Good patterns here. Patterns in the laminating, patterns in the shape of
the edges. Nice

Dan Petre 1
Very good. Nice patterns in the birds.Nice patterns in the background.
Too much white space on the left, some of this can be cropped out.

Dan Petre 2
Excellent. My favourite of the bunch. It is very busy, but instead of
detracting from the image, it holds my attention trying to figure out
what is what.

Alan Browne 2
Nice photo. Patterns in the mud, timber in the foreground to hold your
attention. But this is a desolate scene, there shouldn't be vast amounts
of water in the background.

Robert Coe

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:28:12 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: On 2012-07-18 07:24:31 -0700, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
: >
: >
: > First time commenting, so I'm a little apprehensive.
:
: No problem, all comments are welcome.
: The interesting thing for first time comment writers is realizing just
: how tough it can be to put thought to words and cover all entries. Even
: writing short one liners takes an effort, ...

But it's very much worth doing. Criticizing someone else's work forces the
critic to try to understand what each picture is trying to accomplish; and the
very fact that one tends to say "This is what (s)he should have done" focuses
one's attention on how his work measures up to his own intentions. IOW, it's a
very valuable learning experience as well as an aid to others.

: so thanks for your input.

And keep on providing it.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:24:31 +0200, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
:
: KurtP 1
: Excellent

That picture is, quite simply, the best of the bunch this month. It's
technically exact; the subject matter is familiar and interesting; and the
composition is nearly perfect. Two suggestions:
- Clone out the dark spot in the lower right corner, which I assume is the
leading edge of a third glass. It's not particularly intrusive; but in a
picture of this merit, you don't want any distractions.
- Crop enough off the top to bring the aspect ratio to 8 x 11. (No, there's
nothing magic about that ratio; but I tried a few, and that's what I liked
best.) The one thing I might fault about the picture is that the glasses,
which are the center of attention, sit a tad too low. (Full disclosure: My
wife's initial reaction (she's more artistic than I am) was that the picture
is fine as is. But after I explained my rationale, she agreed with me. I
think.)

Then file it in your portfolio for when you decide you're ready to start
approaching gallery owners or the people who buy pictures for hotel rooms.

Bob

otter

On Jul 18, 9:24*am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

> otter 3
> This one doesn't work for me. A city scape spoiled by 3 ugly steel towers..

I hope this doesn't come across as being defensive, but the triplet
antennas were the point of the picture and what I thought added some
interest to the shot. Always interesting to get another point of
view, though.

otter

On Jul 18, 9:24*am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> otter 2
> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.

This better?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...7170/lightbox/

MG

On 20/07/2012 16:30, otter wrote:
> On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> otter 2
>> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
>> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.
>>

> This better?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...7170/lightbox/

I was thinking a lot more diagonal than that. I was thinking of shooting
the photo from a completely different angle so that the lines run more
or less from top left corner to bottom right corner. I'm not sure that
it would be better, but I would like to see the two next to each other
so that I could decide.

otter

On Jul 20, 11:18*am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 20/07/2012 16:30, otter wrote:
>
> > On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> otter 2
> >> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
> >> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.

> > This better?
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes.../set-721576306...

> I was thinking a lot more diagonal than that. I was thinking of shooting
> the photo from a completely different angle so that the lines run more
> or less from top left corner to bottom right corner. I'm not sure that
> it would be better, but I would like to see the two next to each other
> so that I could decide.

Well, won't be able to oblige you with that, although perhaps Bob or
Bowser can.

NM5K

On 7/20/2012 11:18 AM, MG wrote:
> On 20/07/2012 16:30, otter wrote:
>> On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> otter 2
>>> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
>>> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.
>>>

>> This better?
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...7170/lightbox/
>>

> I was thinking a lot more diagonal than that. I was thinking of shooting
> the photo from a completely different angle so that the lines run more
> or less from top left corner to bottom right corner. I'm not sure that
> it would be better, but I would like to see the two next to each other
> so that I could decide.

I did one a couple of years ago that kind of fit that mandate..
The angles varied depending on which lines you were looking at..
But I decided to keep the "corner" fairly vertical. I also flipped
it. It looks like you are looking down on it, but actually I was
looking up at it when I shot the image. It's also quite cropped from
the original shot.
http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/dt50.jpg

PeterN

On 7/20/2012 12:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-07-20 07:30:26 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> otter 2
>>> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
>>> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.
>>>

>> This better?
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...21576306664971
>>
>> 70/lightbox/

> That is actually disturbing.

Flip it horizontally and put the angles between 30 % 34 degrees.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:10:06 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 7/20/2012 12:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> This better?
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...21576306664971
>>>
>>> 70/lightbox/

>> That is actually disturbing.
>>

>Flip it horizontally and put the angles between 30 % 34 degrees.

A photo of something with lines can sometimes be made more interesting
by diagonalizing the lines. This close-up shows this to some degree
by the cropping and rotating:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z7yrvxo5b...-07-04-DIA.jpg

However, the photo has to be interesting from the get-go. Mine isn't.
MG's is.

He really doesn't need to do anything to improve it. As I said, I
would like that red chair at a thirds intersection point at the lower
right, but the photo as presented originally works quite well.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida