Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

Re: [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

Robert Coe

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:13:08 -0400, SI Committee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

Again our captions didn't make it onto the pix (Alan, do you prefer a
different way of sending them than Bowser did?), so ...

Pairs Bob_Coe 1
Cookie-Cutter Condos. For more than 20 years of passing near these buildings
on the Cambridge side of the Charles River, I had thought them to be
identical. Not until I began to edit this picture did I realize that I was
wrong.

Pairs Bob_Coe 2
School's Out. These vehicles, relegated for now to summer day camp duty, await
Monday morning in a lot behind our Town Hall.

Pairs Bob_Coe 3
Illusion. A single exposure, modified only by cropping and slight rotation.
Can you tell what's real and what's reflection?

Pairs Martha_Coe 1
The Silas W. Robbins House. In this Old Wethersfield, Connecticut house, now a
bed & breakfast, virtually every detail is replicated, even the front door.

Pairs Martha_Coe 2
Victorian brickwork. The writer Samuel L. Clemens built this mansion in
Hartford, Connecticut, though it's named for his alter ego, Mark Twain. The
repetitive detail of its decorative brickwork is reminiscent of Native
American beadwork, an art form which Clemens would undoubtedly have
encountered while growing up in Missouri.

Pairs Martha_Coe 3
Sam's Steamboat: An amusing aspect of Clemens's house, largely unremarked even
in its official tours, is its (obviously intentional) resemblance to a
steamboat. This picture of the house's upper stories shows a porch that mimics
a pilot house and chimneys resembling the gaudy smokestacks of the most
opulent Mississippi River steamers.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:57:10 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 2012-07-16 22:31 , Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:13:08 -0400, SI Committee
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
: >
: > Again our captions didn't make it onto the pix (Alan, do you prefer a
: > different way of sending them than Bowser did?), so ...
:
: The fact is that most people don't caption and the data management sub
: committee are (I have to admit) a rather motley crew of misfits and
: miscreants. I'll endeavour to correct your captions at the earliest
: opportunity.
:
: OTOH, maybe a Rul change is in order where captions are neither
: required, desired or accepted. If the photo doesn't tell the story, let
: the mystery remain except for explanations on usenet.

I think that would be a step backwards.

[...]

It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
(I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
and you could test it.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:41:51 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 2012-07-17 21:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
: > It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
: > (I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
: > in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
: > bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
: > and you could test it.
:
: Sure.

OK, I sent you one of my pictures with an embedded caption. Probably won't
work, but we won't know until we try it.

Bob

Robert Coe

: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > : On 2012-07-17 21:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
: > : > It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
: > : > (I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
: > : > in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
: > : > bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
: > : > and you could test it.
: > :
: > : Sure.
: >
: > OK, I sent you one of my pictures with an embedded caption. Probably won't
: > work, but we won't know until we try it.
:
: Nope.
:
: This site finds the comment: http://tinyurl.com/6rfwe7s or
: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?dummy=on&...rsBob_Coe2.JPG
:
: But http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144820461&exif=Y
: doesn't do anything with it.

Assuming you add the caption by hand, it it more convenient for you to find it
in the Comments field of the image or in the text of the message used to send
the picture to you?

Bob

Robert Coe

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:40:13 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 2012-07-17 22:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
:
: > Assuming you add the caption by hand, it it more convenient for you to find it
: > in the Comments field of the image or in the text of the message used to send
: > the picture to you?
:
: I was about to suggest that when you add comments, that you send your
: post subject with the word "Comments" in it. Put the comments in the
: body of the e-mail as you usually do (not embedded in the image file).
:
: Subject: Martha's pics / COMMENTS
:
: That might help the blind people in data management find the comments
: and paste them into pbase on transfer.
:
: Basic fact is that when the data management folks open the e-mail they
: simply hit "download attachments" and move on. They usually have the
: images up on pbase within minutes of receiving them (in a hidden gallery).

It's a shame that Pbase doesn't see the title and comments fields and display
them automatically if they're present. But I guess that's really just a
corollary of the broader principle that all computer programs should be
written as I would write them if I had the time, knowledge, and ingenuity.

Bob

tony cooper

This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.

Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
mandate.

My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.

She shot the sunflower in her backyard choosing to shoot it from the
back instead of the conventional front view. She and I met a week or
so later in St Augustine where she shot the birds from our table when
we were having lunch at a waterfront cafe.

Not to be outdone, her husband - Dave - came up with his drops of
water on a flower in their backyard. Most of his photography is
photographs of surfers (They live a few blocks from the ocean), so he
found a pattern in the waves. This photo was excessively sharpened to
accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques.

I've been taking my daughter out on what we call a "Photo Safari"
since she was wee. The one thing I've emphasized most is seeing the
photograph. One exercise we used to do was going somewhere, stopping
at random, and finding something to photograph from that spot. She's
turned out to have a good eye.

On my shots...

The Lorikeets really are a very bright bird color-wise. (Check out
web images) However, I used a flash because they were in the back of
the enclosure, and no bouncing surface was available. Consequently,
I've got almost-blowout from flash effect on the feathers. f/4
1/125th. Saturation was not kicked in post.

The marmosets are about the size of a hamster. They have very, very
fine hair, so the flash washed out the fur a bit. f/5.3 1/125th.
Again, nothing to bounce off.

Both shots taken at the Melbourne Zoo on a camera club field trip.
Two other photographers in the group snapped the marmosets and had the
same flash effect in their shots. A third person shot without flash,
but ended up with a blurred shot.

The railroad track shot is a color shot reduced to black and white
just using Threshold. It wasn't converted to black and white first.
Just playing around with processing.

Be kind to my kid.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:01:44 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
:
: Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
: a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
: son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
: the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
: mandate.
:
: My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
: that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
: romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.

Oho! Isn't she the teenager with the peeved expression standing in front of a
cigar store somewhere in the UK?

[...]

Congratulations on getting the two of them involved in the SI. I lured my wife
in, and she's become an enthusiast. I'll have to work harder on my daughter.
In her field of specialization (candid photography of her children) she's
probably our family's best photographer.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:03:01 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: My memories of Melbourne date back to February 1974 when I got the
: worst Sunburn of my life at India Atlantic Beach.

Hammonasset Beach State Park, Connecticut, 1963: Sunscreen? I ain't got no
sunscreen. I don't need no sunscreen! I don't have to put on any steenking
sunscreen!!

Bob

tony cooper

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:28:59 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:01:44 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
>:
>: Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
>: a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
>: son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
>: the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
>: mandate.
>:
>: My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
>: that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
>: romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.
>
>Oho! Isn't she the teenager with the peeved expression standing in front of a
>cigar store somewhere in the UK?

Good memory. It was a SI submission in "Bad Photos".
Taken in 1984 in front of a pub in Dublin, and a pub named "Cleary's
Bar".

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/SI-...C%201984-1.jpg

More "surly" than "peeved".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:03:01 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-07-18 16:01:44 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
>>
>> Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
>> a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
>> son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
>> the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
>> mandate.
>>
>> My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
>> that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
>> romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.
>>
>> She shot the sunflower in her backyard choosing to shoot it from the
>> back instead of the conventional front view. She and I met a week or
>> so later in St Augustine where she shot the birds from our table when
>> we were having lunch at a waterfront cafe.
>>
>> Not to be outdone, her husband - Dave - came up with his drops of
>> water on a flower in their backyard. Most of his photography is
>> photographs of surfers (They live a few blocks from the ocean), so he
>> found a pattern in the waves. This photo was excessively sharpened to
>> accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
>> because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques.
>>
>> I've been taking my daughter out on what we call a "Photo Safari"
>> since she was wee. The one thing I've emphasized most is seeing the
>> photograph. One exercise we used to do was going somewhere, stopping
>> at random, and finding something to photograph from that spot. She's
>> turned out to have a good eye.

>Congratulations on a successful parenting mission.
>
>> On my shots...
>>
>> The Lorikeets really are a very bright bird color-wise. (Check out
>> web images) However, I used a flash because they were in the back of
>> the enclosure, and no bouncing surface was available. Consequently,
>> I've got almost-blowout from flash effect on the feathers. f/4
>> 1/125th. Saturation was not kicked in post.

>All I can say is, regardless of cause, the final effect is one of both
>birds appearing over saturated to the point of being unpleasant.
>Perhaps there might have been a fix available in post. I am sure it is
>possible to reach a better solution.

I pre-announced that I wasn't excited about my submissions this time.
I suppose I could have worked on that image, but I didn't think there
was that much there to begin with.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida