Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > alias: variable is an object but is not an object

alias: variable is an object but is not an object

valtih1978

The section on aliases starts by defining an object as a constant, a
variable, a signal, or a file. Then, it continues with "NOTE 1— Since,
for example, the alias of a variable is a variable". Ok, fine. This also
means that alias of the (variable) object is (a variable) object. But,
in the end, we read "NOTE—An alias of an explicitly declared object is
not an explicitly declared object". Stop! Explicitly declared variable
is not a variable anymore. How is this resolved?

goouse99@googlemail.com

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012 19:10:27 UTC+2 schrieb valtih1978:
> The section on aliases starts by defining an object as a constant, a
> variable, a signal, or a file. Then, it continues with "NOTE 1— Since,
> for example, the alias of a variable is a variable". Ok, fine. This also
> means that alias of the (variable) object is (a variable) object. But,
> in the end, we read "NOTE—An alias of an explicitly declared object is
> not an explicitly declared object". Stop! Explicitly declared variable
> is not a variable anymore. How is this resolved?

Hi,
I think you got the wrong focus on the doubted sentence.
It should probably be:
An alias of an explicitly declared variable is not explicily declared anymore, since it has been aliased, still it will remain a variable.

Hope I got it right that way.

Have a nice synthesis
Eilert