Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D800 sequential file numbering

Nikon D800 sequential file numbering

Rob

Anyone with a D800 that has/had a problem with sequential numbering of
files.

Although the camera is set on sequential numbering each time the memory
card is formatted it returns to 001.

I have been through the instructions several times set and reset the
item in the shooting menu to no avail.

Can find only one reference to this problem at DPreview in which
everyone is an expert, then carry on with a heap of BS.

thanks

tony cooper

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:54:10 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-07-15 16:50:13 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
>
>> On 2012-07-15 15:51:41 -0700, Alan Browne
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> When you use "On" and "Reset" is the folder empty?
>>>
>>> http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D800_EN.pdf
>>>
>>> On
>>> When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a
>>> new memory card inserted in the camera, file numbering
>>> continues from the last number used or from the largest file
>>> number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If a
>>> photograph is taken when the current folder contains a
>>> photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created
>>> automatically and file numbering will begin again from 0001.
>>>
>>> Off
>>> File numbering is reset to 0001 when a new folder is created,
>>> the memory card is formatted, or a new memory card is
>>> inserted in the camera. Note that a new folder is created
>>> automatically if a photograph is taken when the current folder
>>> contains 999 photographs.
>>>
>>> Reset
>>> As for On, except that the next photograph taken is assigned a
>>> file number by adding one to the largest file number in the
>>> current folder. If the folder is empty, file numbering is reset to
>>> 0001.

>> That is a standard Nikon DSLR convention.
>> On my D300S go to "Menu"-> "Custom Setting Menu"-> "D-Shooting
>> Display"-> "d7 File Numbering Sequence". Select "On", Off", or Reset as
>> above.
>> You can also get in camera information on the highlighted menu
>> selection by pushing the info or "?" button.
>>
>> I have mine set to "On" and it functions and numbers files as stated in
>> both my D300S and the D800 manuals.

>Note: on your D800 that would be "d5 File Numbering Sequence" not
>"d7"as found on the D300S. Both cameras have the same 12 selections,
>just reordered.

The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
images.

Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.

I wouldn't even notice the camera's system.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

:
: Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
: date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.
:
: I wouldn't even notice the camera's system.

You would if you were shooting with two cameras. You have to worry about
whether the cameras' internal numbering will result in a naming conflict when
you copy the images to the computer. In some photo shoots I have to juggle the
numbers from three cameras: two of mine and one of my wife's. My two main
cameras are 7Ds, and Canon is planning a firmware upgrade that's supposed to
give a 7D user some control over the file names, not just the sequence number.
Can't happen too soon for me.

Bob

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
> camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
> images.

exactly why there is software designed to manage images based on
content. the file name is irrelevant.

> Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
> date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.

that info is already in the file.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> : The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
> : camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
> : images.
> :
> : Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
> : date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.
> :
> : I wouldn't even notice the camera's system.
>
> You would if you were shooting with two cameras. You have to worry about
> whether the cameras' internal numbering will result in a naming conflict when
> you copy the images to the computer. In some photo shoots I have to juggle the
> numbers from three cameras: two of mine and one of my wife's. My two main
> cameras are 7Ds, and Canon is planning a firmware upgrade that's supposed to
> give a 7D user some control over the file names, not just the sequence number.
> Can't happen too soon for me.

keep the photos from different cameras in separate folders and there
will never be a name conflict and manage them with an app designed to
manage photos, such as lightroom, aperture, etc.

tony cooper

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:06:39 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:40:50 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
>: camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
>: images.
>:
>: Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
>: date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.
>:
>: I wouldn't even notice the camera's system.
>
>You would if you were shooting with two cameras.

I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to change things, and I
hope you find a solution.

However, two cameras or six cameras doesn't make any difference. I
often upload my SD cards from two cameras. I send each card's files
to a folder, and number within the folder. The second folder, if
there is one, starts at the next number after the first folder's
number left off.

>You have to worry about
>whether the cameras' internal numbering will result in a naming conflict when
>you copy the images to the computer.

Only if you upload to the same folder or directly to the same drive.

>In some photo shoots I have to juggle the
>numbers from three cameras: two of mine and one of my wife's. My two main
>cameras are 7Ds, and Canon is planning a firmware upgrade that's supposed to
>give a 7D user some control over the file names, not just the sequence number.
>Can't happen too soon for me.

I used Adobe's Bridge in the uploading process. Bridge allows a
number of different naming systems.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:35:47 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
>> camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
>> images.

>exactly why there is software designed to manage images based on
>content. the file name is irrelevant.

Only if you have go-arounds that make it irrelevant. It can be very
relevant, and useful, it build your system around it. That's why we
have software that allows us to re-name image files. FastStone (free)
does a very good job.

>> Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
>> date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.

>that info is already in the file.

Of course it is, Sherlock. However, you don't see it when you're
looking through folders for a particular image. Most importantly, to
me, is that using this system sequences the files in Lightroom by date
in Library and on my hard drives. No search is required to find
images in a known date range. I add a year keyword, but not a month.
Besides, my wife can open Lightroom or a back-up on an external drive,
but she doesn't know how to execute searches. Or need to.

Also, the file name is the image name in this system. When I post a
link to an image I've uploaded to SmugMug or Dropbox or whatever, the
image name provides the date the shot was taken. No need to look in
EXIF. That's especially useful when emailing shots to relatives that
think "EXIF" is a shirt size for fat people.

It's easy to do, it works, it carries over to disks burned and sent to
others, and I like it.

Are there other ways? Probably. That doesn't make it irrelevant.

Once again, you are naysaying without good cause.

What's your system, by the way? I don't recall ever seeing an image
of yours. You do take photographs, don't you?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:54:08 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-07-15 19:35:49 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> : The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
>>> : camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
>>> : images.
>>> :
>>> : Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
>>> : date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.
>>> :
>>> : I wouldn't even notice the camera's system.
>>>
>>> You would if you were shooting with two cameras. You have to worry about
>>> whether the cameras' internal numbering will result in a naming conflict when
>>> you copy the images to the computer. In some photo shoots I have to juggle the
>>> numbers from three cameras: two of mine and one of my wife's. My two main
>>> cameras are 7Ds, and Canon is planning a firmware upgrade that's supposed to
>>> give a 7D user some control over the file names, not just the sequence number.
>>> Can't happen too soon for me.

>> keep the photos from different cameras in separate folders and there
>> will never be a name conflict and manage them with an app designed to
>> manage photos, such as lightroom, aperture, etc.

>With Nikon DSLRs you can change the label prefix for files written in
>each camera owned.
>For example; camera #1 might have file labeled DNA_0000.NEF, camera #2
>DNB_0000NEF, and camera #3 DNC_0000.NEF. That way each camera has a
>specific tag.
>
>Further relabeling can be made in Lightroom, or Bridge, or whatever.

I suppose everyone's got their little favorites, but I like FastStone
for this. You can pick a specific format or let FastStone
automatically set the file name to the date the image was taken using
$Y-$M-$D-### or any system you want. You can add a character or
characters to designate the camera: $Y-$M-$D-D40-### (and that can be
done in any sequence) Not bad for a free download.

I could set the file names in Bridge, but I generally just let Bridge
do its thing and re-name in FastStone after I've culled out the really
bad ones.

Since I shoot RAW, the .NEF file will have the date file name with a
suffix number, and I save-as with the same suffix number when creating
a .jpg from the .NEF so I can know which .NEF was the birth mother.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:18:37 +1200, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:35:49 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> : The numbering system evidently is meaningful to the OP, but
>>> : camera-produced numbers are not necessarily the best way to identify
>>> : images.
>>> :
>>> : Immediately after downloading, I rename all of my images with the
>>> : date. Today's images would be 2012-07-15-001 and up.
>>> :
>>> : I wouldn't even notice the camera's system.
>>>
>>> You would if you were shooting with two cameras. You have to worry about
>>> whether the cameras' internal numbering will result in a naming conflict when
>>> you copy the images to the computer. In some photo shoots I have to juggle the
>>> numbers from three cameras: two of mine and one of my wife's. My two main
>>> cameras are 7Ds, and Canon is planning a firmware upgrade that's supposed to
>>> give a 7D user some control over the file names, not just the sequence number.
>>> Can't happen too soon for me.

>>keep the photos from different cameras in separate folders and there
>>will never be a name conflict and manage them with an app designed to
>>manage photos, such as lightroom, aperture, etc.

>Can't always be done.

I wouldn't say "can't". Simply downloading into separate folders and
then assigning an initial or initials in the numbering system and,
finally, merging into one folder per destination would do it:
2012-01-01-ES-#### and 2012-01-01-BS-####.

It may not be to your liking, but it can be done.

--

On 16/07/2012 8:51 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-07-15 18:14 , Rob wrote:
>> Anyone with a D800 that has/had a problem with sequential numbering of
>> files.
>>
>> Although the camera is set on sequential numbering each time the memory
>> card is formatted it returns to 001.
>>
>> I have been through the instructions several times set and reset the
>> item in the shooting menu to no avail.

> When you use "On" and "Reset" is the folder empty?
>
> http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D800_EN.pdf
>
> On
> When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a
> new memory card inserted in the camera, file numbering
> continues from the last number used or from the largest file
> number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If a
> photograph is taken when the current folder contains a
> photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created
> automatically and file numbering will begin again from 0001.
>
> Off
> File numbering is reset to 0001 when a new folder is created,
> the memory card is formatted, or a new memory card is
> inserted in the camera. Note that a new folder is created
> automatically if a photograph is taken when the current folder
> contains 999 photographs.
>
> Reset
> As for On, except that the next photograph taken is assigned a
> file number by adding one to the largest file number in the
> current folder. If the folder is empty, file numbering is reset to
> 0001.

I did read all that in the manual. Went through it with Nikon support
again this morning. Looks as if its on the way to repair section.