Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Mac Retina Displays vs, older flat screen

New Mac Retina Displays vs, older flat screen

Robert Peirce

Any first hand experience yet? I like the new displays but not the
glossy finish. I currently have a 2007 MacBook Pro with a flat screen.
It has been great but it's getting old. I work in a room with a lot of
random light and I am afraid the reflections might be bothersome.

David Taylor

On 14/07/2012 13:04, Robert Peirce wrote:
> Any first hand experience yet? I like the new displays but not the
> glossy finish. I currently have a 2007 MacBook Pro with a flat screen.
> It has been great but it's getting old. I work in a room with a lot of
> random light and I am afraid the reflections might be bothersome.

The text on the iPad3 is significantly more legible than that on the
iPad2, and photos show smoother edges as well (material designed for the
older 1024 x 768 resolution really stands out!). Random light doesn't
bother me too much (I tend to wear dark clothing) but you do need to
avoid reflections of point sources.

I don't use other Apple devices.
--
Cheers,
David

PeterN

On 7/14/2012 8:04 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
> Any first hand experience yet? I like the new displays but not the
> glossy finish. I currently have a 2007 MacBook Pro with a flat screen.
> It has been great but it's getting old. I work in a room with a lot of
> random light and I am afraid the reflections might be bothersome.

The vast majority of monitors have a high gloss finish, which I think
inhibit my ability to handle shadow detail, possibly due to stray
light. Within the next week or two I plan to actually look at the
monitors available, rather than simply buy from specs and reviews.

--
Peter

Robert Peirce

In article <CC2702C1.8AAA4%(E-Mail Removed)>,
George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 7/14/12 7:04 AM, in article
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Robert Peirce"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Any first hand experience yet? I like the new displays but not the
> > glossy finish. I currently have a 2007 MacBook Pro with a flat screen.
> > It has been great but it's getting old. I work in a room with a lot of
> > random light and I am afraid the reflections might be bothersome.

> Not first hand here but you might check over at comp.sys.mac groups, since
> they would be more spot on the subject.

This has specifically to do with photography. I don't mind the glossy
screen otherwise.